• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Geelong
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Sydney
Richmond
St Kilda

Only one really tested the grey matter, so think I can guess which one Smith will tip different...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Fremantle vs Collingwood
North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

irfan

State Captain
No, I don't think you've misinterpreteted me. "A criminal, a dishonest person, and an unsuitable person to be put in the position of a role model", which is what I've said up above, can be used, in my vocabulary, as a synonym to "scum". Saying that he's an 'evil monster' that I'm just enjoying having a free kick at because I'm some kind of coward who enjoys bashing helpless victims is a gross exaggeration of my position which is simply that, from what I have seen and read of him, he's a poor human being.

No doubt there is a medical dimension to drug addiction. But I don't buy the line that people whose choices have led them to the point where they've become medically addicted are purely victims who should automatically bear no responsibility for those choices, or that that medical addiction of itself obviates any guilt associated with any crappy/criminal things they do while addicted. No-one put a gun to Cousins head and made him take ice until he became an addict. That was a series of choices he made, made in the knowledge that it was not only illegal but also self-destructive. My sympathy for him is therefore a fair bit diminished as compared to someone who gets cancer for instance (unless that person was a long-term smoker who got lung cancer - then it would probably be a comparable amount of sympathy).

Anyone who elects to use illegal drugs demonstrates that a) they're fairly stupid to disregard the health consequences and likely addiction, and b) that they are too selfish to forego anti-social behaviour for the sake of the rest of society, in particular that of the people closest to them. That equals a poor person in my eyes.

Now, that's all my personal opinion, and explains why my answer to your question "what if he was one of my mates?" is "it wouldn't matter". I wouldn't be mates with someone who persisted in using illegal drugs. I would make an effort to explain that it was a stupid thing for him to do and then give him an ultimatum - get off the drugs and I'll do what I can to help you and be your friend, or say goodbye because I don't want someone who's doing this in my life. I got to a point where I had a couple of conversations with a now former friend who was becoming an alcoholic, and in the end, he and I stopped being mates.

There's a slight distinction between my personal opinion and the reasons I don't want him at the club. The criteria Jono laid out capture some of those other reasons that are more pragmatic. Having been a weak club on this side of things for quite a while, we've finally made a really positive stand this year, albeit if we had to be dragged there kicking and screaming. Signing on Cousins now would, in my view, make a mockery of that effort. In pragmatic terms it would be a massive distraction and ongoing circus that would severely disrupt the team culture we're trying to build. I think its reasonable as well to have some reservations at this early stage about what kind of example Cousins would be providing to the other players, and that's a problem for me from a moral and pragmatic point of view. But my personal opinion of him as a person is also certainly a factor - and that's something he's going to have to be prepared to deal with from a lot of people. You make your decisions in life and people judge you accordingly.

Top Post. Sums up my feelings on people with drug addiction too.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

cameeel

International Captain
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

pasag

RTDAS
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

cameeel

International Captain
6-ft ish. Probably a little bit taller than average, but not a bean pole.
At 6ft, you'd be looking at pretty much anything but Ruck, or Rover/Ruck-Rover, if you're a big unit you could hold down FF or FB at that height, probably a bit small for a CHF/CHB type though.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
At 6ft, you'd be looking at pretty much anything but Ruck, or Rover/Ruck-Rover, if you're a big unit you could hold down FF or FB at that height, probably a bit small for a CHF/CHB type though.
Bear in mind that this is Wellington, New Zealand, so I don't imagine there'll be any Buddy Franklin-sized guys floating around. I'm a similar size to Heath and I'd say we'd be the standard size - most bigger guys will be playing union or league in Wellington.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fremantle vs Collingwood
Geelong vs West Coast
Adelaide vs Footscray
Carlton vs Hawthorn
Sydney vs Brisbane
Melbourne vs Richmond
Essendon vs St Kilda

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
2nd in the tipping, 3 behind DCYE and Brumby. Need to tip 3 different tips to each of them. Aka I'm ****ed.

Collingwood
North Melbourne
Geelong
Bulldogs
Carlton
Brisbane
Richmond
Essendon

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Really looking forward to the DT final, swapped Pav for Richo and with the money left over I upgraded Ibbotson to P. Burgoyne.

Now, if there's no late withdrawls we could be in for a show.

Josh

International Regular
Fremantle Vs. Collingwood
North Melbourne Vs. Port Adelaide
Geelong Vs. West Coast
Adelaide Vs. Western Bulldogs
Carlton Vs. Hawthorn
Sydney
Vs. Brisbane
Melbourne Vs. Richmond
Essendon Vs. St Kilda

ash chaulk

International Captain
also depends on your leap and strength, im the same height and have played ruck in top divisions.

ash chaulk

International Captain
West Coast won't trade Kerr unless they get what they want. other wise they should offload him to the Gold Coast next year

Status
Not open for further replies.