• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I spotted the high speeds and commented on it somewhere in this thread. TBH, I'd put it down to, as I said, the fact that conditions were ideal for optimum speed of bowling (not too hot, not too cold, UK air pressure) and there was plenty of incentive - we've all seen Flintoff especially and to an extent Harmison too bowl at their quickest when things are happening, and indeed it's a phenomena that extends to many others as well.

Anderson for one was at near enough exactly his normal speed - low to mid 80s.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I spotted the high speeds and commented on it somewhere in this thread. TBH, I'd put it down to, as I said, the fact that conditions were ideal for optimum speed of bowling (not too hot, not too cold, UK air pressure) and there was plenty of incentive - we've all seen Flintoff especially and to an extent Harmison too bowl at their quickest when things are happening, and indeed it's a phenomena that extends to many others as well.

Anderson for one was at near enough exactly his normal speed - low to mid 80s.
Interesting about Jimmy, I didn't see him bowl so didn't realise his speed was down. Perhaps this shows the gun wasn't too far out.

As for air pressure I can't see how this could have any effect, since the speed of the ball is measured at the moment of release.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not on the speed of the ball, but on the energy of bowlers. Bowling at altitude, while reducing the amount of slowdown in the ball over its delivery, makes bowling as a seamer that much more difficult. Stories abound of bowlers who encounter difficulties when they first visit the Highveldt. In the UK there is no such problem as most grounds are at or near sea level so breathing is easier.

There was nothing out-of-the-ordinary about the air pressure this game BTW, UIMM - merely that it was as-standard, was the point I was making.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting about Jimmy, I didn't see him bowl so didn't realise his speed was down. Perhaps this shows the gun wasn't too far out.

As for air pressure I can't see how this could have any effect, since the speed of the ball is measured at the moment of release.
Why would air pressure affect the speed of the ball through the air but not the speed of the bowler's arm as he releases it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was it really? How strange, shows how much attention I pay to totting-up average speeds.

Would've been interesting if Collingwood had got a bowl TBH. Then we'd know whether someone had fiddled with the speedster if he was clocking 85mph.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
What surprised me today was SAs approach to batting. I can understand them losing 2-3 quick wickets first up as they attack the bowling. But then you would surely think they would realise its a bowlers pitch and reign in their attacking play in the middle/lower order to make sure they got a score of 220-230 which would at least give them something to bowl at, maybe even put them in a good position. Instead they just carried on throwing the bat like they were batting on a flat pitch setting 300+. Yes the likes of Boucher (that over to him was reminisant of the over Flintoff bowled to Ponting during the 2005 ashes) and De Villiers got a good un. But still there was little application which you'd usually attribute to Englands batsmen.

It also helps that England had Flintoff / Harmison as 3rd / 4th bowlers. Too many times ive seen England start well but then bring on some medium pacer / spinner who then lets the other team milk it during the middle overs and score a resonable score.

It really helps that 2 of Englands front line bowlers can bat. Something we need to ultilise in the Tests more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It also helps that England had Flintoff / Harmison as 3rd / 4th bowlers. Too many times ive seen England start well but then bring on some medium pacer / spinner who then lets the other team milk it during the middle overs and score a resonable score.

It must be great at the moment to be KP. As you say, after the openers, he can turn to 2 heavyweights that can wang the ball down at over 90 mph. Hard for the opposition to dominate that period of play. And if they do there are a group of part timers that can be turned to.

Decent balance in the team ATM (if debatable personel)

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Patel's not really done anything wrong but to be honest, with the team as it is, we don't really need his batting and its not as if Swann can't bat, and he's clearly the better bowler. Would be happier with Swann in for Patel, then we need to find an opener to replace Bell and someone to replace the other passenger Wright.

South Africa must be feeling pretty embarrassed, they are losing 2-0 to a team that themselves are the laughing stock of ODI cricket...already on the plane home perhaps? Even a 3-2 win as looks likely would be a dissapointment if you were South African really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Patel's not really done anything wrong but to be honest, with the team as it is, we don't really need his batting and its not as if Swann can't bat, and he's clearly the better bowler. Would be happier with Swann in for Patel, then we need to find an opener to replace Bell and someone to replace the other passenger Wright.
Just bring Swann in for Wright, IMO. Patel can be used as the second spinner if necessary or just for his batting if not - it'd be a much more useful role than the one Wright is currently playing, especially given Collingwood's bowling will be factored in now as well.

It'd be harsh to drop Wright in a way, given he hasn't been dismissed nor actually bowled this series, but that very fact just shows how useless his role is ATM.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah that might be a good idea actually..Patel actually has a better LIst A batting average than Prior, Flintoff and Wright, and about the same as Shah and Collingwood...can't see England doing it though.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Just bring Swann in for Wright, IMO. Patel can be used as the second spinner if necessary or just for his batting if not - it'd be a much more useful role than the one Wright is currently playing, especially given Collingwood's bowling will be factored in now as well.

It'd be harsh to drop Wright in a way, given he hasn't been dismissed nor actually bowled this series, but that very fact just shows how useless his role is ATM.
Agree with this, Wright atm adds no value what so ever to the side, he can't possibly have much impact batting as low as 8, and his bowling is not good enough either for him to hold a place in the playing XI, having Swann in his place is a much logical decision, as not only would Swann add more variety to the attack, he is also a decent lower-order batsman.

pup11

International Coach
Yesterday's defeat would be a really hard one for South Africa to come back from, England are in the driver's seat in this series now and South Africa would have to play really well now to comeback in this series and win it.
There is serious need make a decision regarding Gibbs now, he is wonderful player once he gets going but he has been out of sorts for an awfully long time now, and South Africa should consider some other option like Van Wyk or even McKenzie.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think Wright really has a set batting position. I think they are planning on bringing him in to score superquick runs at the end of the innings, whether that means coming in at 6,7 or 8, we saw this on Friday (where he scored a mega 2 from 2)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Wright really has a set batting position. I think they are planning on bringing him in to score superquick runs at the end of the innings, whether that means coming in at 6,7 or 8, we saw this on Friday (where he scored a mega 2 from 2)
Yeah, you get the feel he is a floater

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Mascarenhas would be not only more suited to this role, but also better with the ball? Anyone agree?