• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Glad to see you've come round. How about redirecting your Collingwood membership fees to the Kangas. Maybe then Sam Power will get fed this week.
As a Collingwood fan I already supply enough charity to the basketcase and begger clubs tbh.

Here's a copy of the email I sent the club re the Cousins rumour. Haven't received a reply yet, don't really expect to given it's all just 'rumours' at the moment. If someone at the club reads it and it contributes towards someone mentioning to Eddie that (hopefully) they've received a bit of comment like this, and it makes a difference, then I'll be happy. I might send a couple of emails to the clubs major sponsors as well asking them to express their concern for their brand's image if its going to end up emblazoned on Cousins' back.
----------
"this is the first time I've directly contacted the club, other than when I've rung in to take out memberships for myself and my son. I'm only doing so now because of the rumours regarding Ben Cousins coming to the club as a part of the playing list. Now I understand that rumours are a dime a dozen in the AFL media, and that this may all be a beat up. However, in case it is right, I just wanted to flag that I feel very strongly that, wonderful player on the field that Cousins has been in the past, having him become a part of OUR club would be a terrible mistake. I have some sympathy for the health issues Cousins is facing and wish him well in his recovery, but I strongly feel that Collingwood Football Club is not the place for this to happen.

I've been a life long supporter of the club, and dearly wish for the club to continue to be something I can love and be proud of and share that with my kids, and to that end, I've been enormously pleased by the stand Eddie McGuire and the club took over the incident with Alan Didak and Heath Shaw, and by the tremdous way the boys have responded these last few weeks. Can't wait til we get into the four, and knock over Geelong towards the flag. I don't think the playing group NEEDS Cousins on the field, and off the field I'm sure they don't. And what's more, I won't be able to cheer for a Collingwood Football Club that includes Cousins. Suffice to say that if Cousins is taken on by the club, I won't be taking out a membership while he's on the list.

I can't tell the football department or Mick Malthouse how to manage or coach this team, but I can only register what I as someone who loves the club thinks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this"

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Find it hard to believe. Don't see how you could disown a club you've supported for you entire life. You make it sound like they're about to sign Charlie Manson.

howardj

International Coach
As a Collingwood fan I already supply enough charity to the basketcase and begger clubs tbh.

Here's a copy of the email I sent the club re the Cousins rumour. Haven't received a reply yet, don't really expect to given it's all just 'rumours' at the moment. If someone at the club reads it and it contributes towards someone mentioning to Eddie that (hopefully) they've received a bit of comment like this, and it makes a difference, then I'll be happy. I might send a couple of emails to the clubs major sponsors as well asking them to express their concern for their brand's image if its going to end up emblazoned on Cousins' back.
----------
"this is the first time I've directly contacted the club, other than when I've rung in to take out memberships for myself and my son. I'm only doing so now because of the rumours regarding Ben Cousins coming to the club as a part of the playing list. Now I understand that rumours are a dime a dozen in the AFL media, and that this may all be a beat up. However, in case it is right, I just wanted to flag that I feel very strongly that, wonderful player on the field that Cousins has been in the past, having him become a part of OUR club would be a terrible mistake. I have some sympathy for the health issues Cousins is facing and wish him well in his recovery, but I strongly feel that Collingwood Football Club is not the place for this to happen.

I've been a life long supporter of the club, and dearly wish for the club to continue to be something I can love and be proud of and share that with my kids, and to that end, I've been enormously pleased by the stand Eddie McGuire and the club took over the incident with Alan Didak and Heath Shaw, and by the tremdous way the boys have responded these last few weeks. Can't wait til we get into the four, and knock over Geelong towards the flag. I don't think the playing group NEEDS Cousins on the field, and off the field I'm sure they don't. And what's more, I won't be able to cheer for a Collingwood Football Club that includes Cousins. Suffice to say that if Cousins is taken on by the club, I won't be taking out a membership while he's on the list.

I can't tell the football department or Mick Malthouse how to manage or coach this team, but I can only register what I as someone who loves the club thinks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this"
I bet if one of your mates had a drug addiction you'd not feel hostile towards them. But, because this guy is famous and has a drug addiction, you regard him as some sort of evil monster who is fair game to take a free kick at.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I bet if one of your mates had a drug addiction you'd not feel hostile towards them. But, because this guy is famous and has a drug addiction, you regard him as some sort of evil monster who is fair game to take a free kick at.
Its this sort of attitude that led to my now infamous assault charge for aiming a bicycle kick at Dermot Reeve's chin.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought you were the 'right wing guy'?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
What bull**** howardj - expect better from you to be honest. I don't think he's an evil monster. I think he's a criminal, a dishonest person and an unsuitable person to be put in the position of a role model to young people - within and without the club. As to whether he's fair game, he's brought all of this on himself to date, and its entirely open to him not to seek such a public role if he wants a stable environment to recover in. As for a free kick, what do you want me to do? Track him down in person and tell him? Because that would be a massive intrusion into his privacy. I haven't slandered him or said anything about him as a person other than I don't think he's a good fit for the kind of team we're trying to be, and that I don't want to cheer, or want my children supporting, a team with him in it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
At MCG I assume? Why would anyone wanna see Carlton get thrashed. :ph34r:
nah its at the dome...that's why loads of people have been whinging to switch it with the North-Port game at the G, not realising that The Dome has to have a certain number of high drawing games every season, and i think there's also something about the interstate teams getting at least one game at the G every year? (port haven't play there yet). Anyway its funny to here the moans about something that's not going to get changed, we'll probably break even at the G whereas we would have made a big loss at the dome, and we are unbeaten there this season.

cameeel

International Captain
Code:
[B][U]CW Tipping Ladder - Round 21
[/U][/B]

BoyBrumby - 116
DCYE - 116
Cameeel - 113
Jono - 113
Voltman - 109
SuperKingDav - 109
Pasag - 109
Sam_Vimes - 108
Clapo - 107
Alternative - 107
Josh - 107
Sir B.I - 106
HeathDavisSpeed - 104
MikeW - 104
Ash Chaulk - 103
Matteh - 103
NZT - 103
James90 - 100
R_D - 96
MorgieB - 91
Simon - 84
Vic_Orthodox - 81
. Both Matteh and Pasag tipped perfect rounds, 8/8
. BoyBrumby takes over top position, the first time in many weeks that DCYE hasn't led the competition. Adelaide v St. Kilda proved the difference in Round 21

pasag

RTDAS
At MCG I assume? Why would anyone wanna see Carlton get thrashed. :ph34r:
Your fishing attempts aside, two players have the chance to break the ton which hasn't happended in 10 years not to mention two exciting sides with great futures going head to head. Might be a dead rubber but should be a cracker of a match nonetheless.

howardj

International Coach
What bull**** howardj - expect better from you to be honest. I don't think he's an evil monster. I think he's a criminal, a dishonest person and an unsuitable person to be put in the position of a role model to young people - within and without the club. As to whether he's fair game, he's brought all of this on himself to date, and its entirely open to him not to seek such a public role if he wants a stable environment to recover in. As for a free kick, what do you want me to do? Track him down in person and tell him? Because that would be a massive intrusion into his privacy. I haven't slandered him or said anything about him as a person other than I don't think he's a good fit for the kind of team we're trying to be, and that I don't want to cheer, or want my children supporting, a team with him in it.

OK, I must have misinterpreted you when you referred to him as a piece of **** and as scum. Drug addiction is a recognised medical illness. If he had a medical illness like cancer, he would get all the sympathy in the world.

I listen to people who know him like Mick Malthouse who wrote earlier this year that Cousins has a heart of gold, and comes from a great family.

I think it would be one of the great sporting stories if this guy made it back. Then he really would be a role model to all young men out there who had fallen off the rails or into the bottomless pit of drug addiction.

howardj

International Coach
Having said all that, I can see where you're coming from.

I guess there are two ways to look at cases of bad behaviour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My view on Ben Cousins is purely from a strategic/club management one.

If it was my club who was interested, I would weigh up the following varying interests.

- What effect (negative or positive) will Ben Cousins have on the playing group?
- What will the publicity be? Will it be far too overly negative, and be a disadvantage for the club?
- What will he add, purely on-field, from a playing ability point of view?

I think if one can remove the emotion and moral stance and justifications, you can still come to the same conclusion than if you took the viewpoint that Matt79 has taken. If I was a Collingwood fan, considering how bad the Didak/Shaw incident was, add Didak 2007 controversy, I'd probably be inclined not to have Cousins at the club.

If I was an Essendon or Richmond (which I am) fan, I would definitely consider the benefits which come from Cousins on field, and if they are greater than the potential costs, I'd want him at my club. He hasn't killed or raped or even assaulted anyone. He's just an attractive looking drug addict.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Having said all that, I can see where you're coming from.

I guess there are two ways to look at cases of bad behaviour.
A bit different too when your club has a recent history of very poor behaviour, and hasn't taken a stand for a long time - only ever disciplining blokes who weren't near the side anyway. Finally they take a stand, trying to change the way that the club is viewed, and then you go out of your way, sacrifice a spot that could be taken by a young player, with a guy with these sort of question marks over his head?

I think in terms of picking up Cousins, it's much different for the Pies than other clubs.

pasag

RTDAS
Would be brilliant if we could get him. Apparently he wants to come here and Judd and co want him, so things looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.