• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very weird game. Broad finally showing the potential that i was sure he had.
I don't think he's showing anything today he hasn't shown before - he's bowled like this with a white ball in coloured clothing in one-day cricket before. It's been clear for a while now that he can do that. But he can't still bowl well in Tests with a red ball and white clothing.
You have to ask why he tends to bowl differently in Tests though. It cant just be a stamina thing, he visibly bowls shorter in Tests and tries to be a sterotypical 'fast' bowler, where in ODI's he seems content to just put the ball on a good line/lenght and is much more effective.
I don't think he does bowl terribly differently TBH - it's just bowling in good areas - which he doesn't ALWAYS do - isn't enough in Tests. I'm not sure whether he bowls significantly shorter in Tests, and you'd not be able to find-out for sure without detailed pitchmaps.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Stuck at work today but I have enjoyed the cricinfo coverage. In particular, this:

Nel to Prior, FOUR, spanked. Utterly spanked off the back foot with disdain and he holds the pose

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
At the risk of putting the mockers on B & P, how many ODI's have England won by 10 wickets? And how many have SA lost by that margin?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kinda ridiculous that SA have lost more games than NZ did.

Obviously England are a worse side than either.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the risk of putting the mockers on B & P, how many ODI's have England won by 10 wickets? And how many have SA lost by that margin?
Now that you're the one who has said that, I can go look at Cricinfo without the inevitable guilt trip.

stumpski

International Captain
Can remember England doing it around 2000 (I think Stewart was one of the batsmen). Dunno about S Africa.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I don't think he's showing anything today he hasn't shown before - he's bowled like this with a white ball in coloured clothing in one-day cricket before. It's been clear for a while now that he can do that. But he can't still bowl well in Tests with a red ball and white clothing.

I don't think he does bowl terribly differently TBH - it's just bowling in good areas - which he doesn't ALWAYS do - isn't enough in Tests. I'm not sure whether he bowls significantly shorter in Tests, and you'd not be able to find-out for sure without detailed pitchmaps.
Well i can only go by my memory which i have to admit is poor :cool: But i'm sure he pitches it up much more in ODIs than he does in Tests. What i've liked today is not just that he's up'd his pace but he's done so while keeping his accuracy (or even being more accurate!). If he bowls like this he'll always take wickets. BIG IF :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can remember England doing it around 2000 (I think Stewart was one of the batsmen). Dunno about S Africa.
Trescothick and Stewart chased down West Indies off their own bats in the NW Series 2000. Hussain and Knight should have done against South Africa the previous winter too, but Hussain gave away his wicket.

Kinda annoying that Prior didn't even get out in this run-chase. Never mind, another day is another day.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Its the first time England have won any ODI by 10 wickets i believe. Not sure if SA have lost by 10 or not in the past though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well i can only go by my memory which i have to admit is poor :cool: But i'm sure he pitches it up much more in ODIs than he does in Tests.
No memory, however good, can possibly hope to certify such a thing. It's impossible to catalogue things like where a bowler has consistently pitched. Only a pitchmap can reveal that.
What i've liked today is not just that he's up'd his pace but he's done so while keeping his accuracy (or even being more accurate!). If he bowls like this he'll always take wickets. BIG IF :)
But he won't - he took his wickets today because in ODIs batsmen have to play at wide balls. In Tests they can just leave them, and it's highly unlikely the likes of Kallis would often have done anything but to his one.

Neil Pickup

England have done so twice - chasing 170 at Durham against the West Indies in 2000 (Trescothick 87, Stewart 74), and chasing 191 at The Oval against Bangladesh in 2005 (Trescothick 100, Strauss 82).

It's only the second time that South Africa have been, to steal the rugby term, "nilled" - you have to go back to April 1992 in Trinidad (Haynes 59, Lara 86) to find the prior (see what I did there?) instance.

stumpski

International Captain
Great news for England, it means South Africa can only win the series 3-2. :)

And they will come back, hard.

Uppercut

You've explained it before I'm sure but why are you wearing the same Flintoff picture Martyn currently is? Who gave you it?
Avatar challenge. South Africa lost the first ODI and as a result he got to choose what it changed to, and picked this in order to confuse himself.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
But he won't - he took his wickets today because in ODIs batsmen have to play at wide balls. In Tests they can just leave them, and it's highly unlikely the likes of Kallis would often have done anything but to his one.
Given the form Kallis has shown with the bat this summer i wouldnt be so sure about that :ph34r:

5th Best ODI bowling figures by an Englishmen by the way. So credit where its due methinks!

Uppercut

No memory, however good, can possibly hope to certify such a thing. It's impossible to catalogue things like where a bowler has consistently pitched. Only a pitchmap can reveal that.

The shocking thing, which i also noticed against New Zealand this summer, is the speed gun when Broad bowls in ODIs. In the tests he was often struggling to even get above 80mph, but with the white ball he broke 90 several times.