• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Broad up at around 90 mph for 2 games in a row. It doesnt appear an illusion and he looks clearly more dangerous.

Finding 5-10 mph in a few weeks is impressive. May be he can consistently bowl at this pace and gain that edge long term.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I couldn't help but think of Sinclair while watching that Kallis innings. A few nice-looking drives for no runs, one really class shot and then a wild slash after being starved of width.

Good bowling from Broad but it must be said, it doesn't quite deserve 4/9 - a few poor shots have been played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff on and promptly sends down the first wide of the innings.

BTW I noted this in the previous game but obviously to myself only - but this is the first time Flintoff has played in the free-hit ODI era. And with the number of no-balls he always used to bowl before now, we can only hope he's done some work on sorting that out else the results could well be disastrous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was talking up Broad in work this morning a class ODi bowler. Feeling good about myself, got a few predicitons right lately :cool:

Hope we didn't skittle them too quickly, wanting to see some cricket at home tonight

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff on and promptly sends down the first wide of the innings.

BTW I noted this in the previous game but obviously to myself only - but this is the first time Flintoff has played in the free-hit ODI era. And with the number of no-balls he always used to bowl before now, we can only hope he's done some work on sorting that out else the results could well be disastrous.
There are free hits now in ODIs? For how long? Surely it will be new for all, rather than just Flintoff

Show how closely I follow the continual rule changes in this format

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Free-hits were first put in ODIs in October 2007. Since then there's been a definate reduction in no-balling (which is only good for bowlers as they always bowled far too many of them and seemingly didn't realise that they could easily cost 6-7-8 runs per spell), but I always worry when a good accurate bowler bowls too many no-balls and hope they can sort it out without taking a few free-hit pastings first.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wonder how crap or otherwise Harmison will be today. Should get good figures regardless from a position like this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some good, some poor overs, the Smith wicket was a good ball, the JP one a poor one. ABdeV goooooooonnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee to Flintoff, one before was close, that was certainly much closer.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad up at around 90 mph for 2 games in a row. It doesnt appear an illusion and he looks clearly more dangerous.

Finding 5-10 mph in a few weeks is impressive. May be he can consistently bowl at this pace and gain that edge long term.
I disagree with your belief that he has simply put on this pace over the last two ODIs. He has been bowling this sort of pace since the New Zealand ODI series but slows down in Test matches, presumably due to lack of stamina.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Botha in ahead of Albie???????

The former who averages less than 21 in OD cricket with a top-score of 55* and the latter whom averages 27 with a top-score of 97.

And just to prove that's no fluke, in FC cricket it's 33 (top-score 98) and 42 (top-score 204*).

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree with your belief that he has simply put on this pace over the last two ODIs. He has been bowling this sort of pace since the New Zealand ODI series but slows down in Test matches, presumably due to lack of stamina.
Nah, from what I can see (and Im on a small screen :) ) his left arm is taking a noticabley shorter distance from A-B.

The arc Ive talked about for a long time is less pronounced. He should be happy with the way the action looks ATM

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Botha in ahead of Albie???????
Botha's a bit better technically but yeah it does seem a bit strange. Albie's been stereotyped as a big-hitting finisher despite the fact that he averages over 40 at First Class level and has a double century to his name. Different form of cricket I know but I've always felt he's been pigeon-holed into a role that isn't really his go as such.