• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Botha captains the Warriors and is a regularly fixture in the one day side. It seems a pretty logical choice then to make him captain.
It would be if was in fact a regular in the ODI side, but I don't think he is. 27 games in 2years and the likes of Peterson, Harris, Tshabalala, Ontong and one or two others playing then, he's hardly been a regular.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It would be if was in fact a regular in the ODI side, but I don't think he is. 27 games in 2years and the likes of Peterson, Harris, Tshabalala, Ontong and one or two others playing then, he's hardly been a regular.
Ontong played against the West Indies as a batsman, Harris as a second spinner to Botha in Bangladesh, Tshabalala hasn't featured for South Africa since August 2007 whilst Robbie P hasn't played ODI cricket since the World Cup. Botha in contrast has been apart of South Africa's last five ODI squads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Botha is also captain today against the 'Lions'...
Yeah - so it's now that you start to ask these questions. If he'd not captained today, it'd have been pointless to ask them IMO.

I presume Smith is resting his back today BTW?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah - so it's now that you start to ask these questions. If he'd not captained today, it'd have been pointless to ask them IMO.

I presume Smith is resting his back today BTW?
Yup. Smith will be back on Saturday alongwith Boucher and Kallis.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Was a fair effort from the ‘Lions’, from being 107 for 2 of twenty odd overs to 184 all out. The full team would be proud of that job.

I’m interested to see how Kabir Ali gets on. His been excellent with the new ball domestically this year and Dale Steyn apparently was swinging the ball big this morning and Ali does get the ball to swing appreciably away from the right handers and bowls just as full if not fuller length than Steyn.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I've always wondered about these 'A' teams, I assume it is the next best XI on the park. But I really do hope Kabir Ali does get another shot for England again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was a fair effort from the ‘Lions’, from being 107 for 2 of twenty odd overs to 184 all out. The full team would be proud of that job.

I’m interested to see how Kabir Ali gets on. His been excellent with the new ball domestically this year and Dale Steyn apparently was swinging the ball big this morning and Ali does get the ball to swing appreciably away from the right handers and bowls just as full if not fuller length than Steyn.
:lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So-s0. Just would like to see Ali play Tests and ODIs again.
ODIs?

You aaaaaaaaare kidding?

Tests he's certainly far from the worst candidate and that the likes of Plunkett, Mahmood etc. were picked ahead of him was pretty criminal. But I can't say I'm expecting him to be a rip-r0aring success should he play again.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Kirby and Wright...how do these people get selected as the England 2nd team? Are they selected from one-off seasons?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kirby and Wright...how do these people get selected as the England 2nd team? Are they selected from one-off seasons?
Kirby hasn't even done terribly well this season. Off the top of my head, I can't remember him doing much since 2001, though I'm fairly sure he did at some point.

Wright is selected because "he's a big hitter". He isn't the first and he sure won't be the last.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only eleven available players in County Cricket. Everyone else is Kolpak.
Disagree vehemently. There are a large number of players with British (or occasionally somewhere else in the EU) ancestry but who are not qualified to represent England. These take-up the majority of the 360 or so professional places in the English game.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
ODIs?

You aaaaaaaaare kidding?

Tests he's certainly far from the worst candidate and that the likes of Plunkett, Mahmood etc. were picked ahead of him was pretty criminal. But I can't say I'm expecting him to be a rip-r0aring success should he play again.
I find it hard to gather who you think would be a success in the England whites.

On the topic of ODIs, probably less so, but once again, as you say, atleast in ODIs, I think there are worse candidates than him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I find it hard to gather who you think would be a success in the England whites.
Right now, considerably smaller a number than the eleven players which are needed. :dry::mellow:
On the topic of ODIs, probably less so, but once again, as you say, atleast in ODIs, I think there are worse candidates than him.
Well yeah, but there's also a good number of better ones. Kabir Ali, like so many Englishmen, is a proven failure in ODI cricket.