• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Missed the last session, looks like I missed some fun, IIRC Harmison bats better than bowls against SA

Anyway, played KP. Knew you would do it, you ****ing gun

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, but there is for Viv Richards. If you take out the years he was Bradmanesque then he averages 40. Therefore he isnt anything special.
Given they amounted to 2 years out of about 14, it's hardly as outrageous as it sounds.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Always felt the FCA had more worth than people on here give it, tttt

Actually have a few questions I want to ask you about it next time I see you on msgr...would ask you on the forum, but I can only imagine what would follow :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always felt the FCA had more worth than people on here give it, tttt
TBH, a good deal of people on here do give it some worth - just usually not as much as me. Probably for everyone who unwieldily dismisses it out-of-hand, there is another who suggests it has something going for it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously not. I fully understand the impact he had on those who did, nonetheless, as I do read and watch highlights reels.
He was around in the days of video recorders you know - colour pictures, sound and everything.

He had an ultimately disappointing career average but he was a great player, and the greatest batsman of his generation. I don't think you'll find that many cricket followers who were around at the time who'd disagree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was around in the days of video recorders you know - colour pictures, sound and everything.
Aye, "reel" is just a word I like, esp in connection with "highlights".
He had an ultimately disappointing career average but he was a great player, and the greatest batsman of his generation. I don't think you'll find that many cricket followers who were around at the time who'd disagree.
Wouldn't disagree terribly vehemently with any of that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Second greatest in my view - though he shared a surname with the greatest (but then there was Harry Pilling too)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, this match is definitely ours to lose now. Hopefully we will be batting tomorrow evening and would love to see Strauss take us to victory

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm starting to think (in fact I have for a while) that the KP-Viv comparisons aren't too far-fetched.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I highly doubt Pietersen will ever be as good (I can't see him having two periods of a year in length where he averages 70 or 80 with massive strike-rates) but there's certainly marked similiarities in the two, and not just related to leg-side preference and ability to hit things to leg that almost all players are incapable of.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The thing about Pietersen is that he has had no crazy purple patches or slumps. They showed a stat today that his worst run over a 10 match period produced an average of 35, would be interested in seeing his best, would expect it to be around 60. The man is consistent, which is perhaps not what we would have expected him to be.