• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, and I am prepared to be criticised for such a bold opinion, but I would have preferred England to go with Matt Prior in the Tests rather than Bopara - Prior plays CC Division One with similar success to Bopara in Division Two and Prior has proven himself at Test level whereas the less spoken about Bopara's entry into Test cricket, the better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Patel for the ODI's is a bit of a shocker though. He's performed well for Leicester but didnt think he was so close. Id have rather seen someone like Hildreth in myself who i think has much more promise as a future England cricketer.
I'd hope not, given that he plays for Nottingham. :)

Never really rated Hildreth personally TBH, just think good outswing bowlers will always have his measure with the number of shots he plays. A bit like an early Michael Clarke.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It was always going to be him. The idea that Key would come in was never going to happen. How many chances has he had? He's now viewed with the likes of Hick / Ramps as great county players (although not as good as those 2 obviously) who just didnt have the mentality for international cricket.

Patel for the ODI's is a bit of a shocker though. He's performed well for Leicester but didnt think he was so close. Id have rather seen someone like Hildreth in myself who i think has much more promise as a future England cricketer.
I thought he looked mentally fit for Test Cricket when he made that 221.

Especially in comparison to Bopara's 3 Tests to date.

Key is only 29, younger then Mike Hussey on debut, so I don't think he's in the Hick and Ramps category yet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbh, and I am prepared to be criticised for such a bold opinion, but I would have preferred England to go with Matt Prior in the Tests rather than Bopara - Prior plays CC Division One with similar success to Bopara in Division Two and Prior has proven himself at Test level whereas the less spoken about Bopara's entry into Test cricket, the better.
Yeah, agree with this actually, though Prior's not necessarily the next best option either

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The selection of Matt Prior for the ODIs is a baffling one and one that surely cannot succeed in the long term. He has a poor List A record and his poorer ODI record shows that he doesn't raise his game in ODIs from List A cricket.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err

Patel was named in the squad of 30 announced a while back, fills a role England are weak on (proper batsman who bowls decent finger spin), has a good record and nearly beat Durham single handed in a quarter-final earlier this season and he's played for lots England under-xx sides. Hildreth gets to bat on a road but still averages under 30 and has been poor this season in the 50 overs stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So he gets back in the pavilion early?
No I actually really enjoy watching him bat and think it's good to have a stable number 3 and if you look at the rest of the English batting lineup there is no better alternative.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So who misses out? Broad, Sidebottom or Harmison?
Hopefully Broad.

SA shouldn't need to fear too much about Harmison on a flat Oval pitch, but he did manage 4-33 there against them (including a bad decision against Kallis and 2 tailenders).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No I actually really enjoy watching him bat and think it's good to have a stable number 3 and if you look at the rest of the English batting lineup there is no better alternative.
I think there are several.

Including even Pietersen.

Mark Butcher spot-on BTW when saying Key and Shah should have been picked ahead of Bopara.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Err

Patel was named in the squad of 30 announced a while back, fills a role England are weak on (proper batsman who bowls decent finger spin), has a good record and nearly beat Durham single handed in a quarter-final earlier this season and he's played for lots England under-xx sides. Hildreth gets to bat on a road but still averages under 30 and has been poor this season in the 50 overs stuff.
Yeah, Patel is an understandable pick. The need for someone to bat and be capable of bowling a few overs whilst taking the pace off the ball is seductive.

Im not sure Ive ever seen him bat, so Im not the most knowledgable guy about him. However, his type of player is what England are looking for.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Broad.

SA shouldn't need to fear too much about Harmison on a flat Oval pitch, but he did manage 4-33 there against them (including a bad decision against Kallis and 2 tailenders).
And what exactly should they fear from Broad?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Patel is an understandable pick. The need for someone to bat and be capable of bowling a few overs whilst taking the pace off the ball is seductive.
Indeed and what a List A bowling record he has; makes you wonder why they don't bowl him more.