• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
You have got to ask questions about the selection of Sidebottom for this test when he was blatently not a 100% fit. Especially considering it was in a 4 man attack including Flintoff who doesn't have the best fitness record.
Was bowling well short of his usual pace during the first test as well. Im also wondering why Sidebottom doesnt bowl from around the wicket much either. He used that tactic fairly effectively in NZ, and personally I think left armers are more likely to be successful to right handed batsman bowling around the wicket than over the wicket but I am extremely surprised that he hasnt even tried it recently.

tooextracool

International Coach
The problem with Strauss is, he has only just got back into the side, but he hasn't looked good at all. It's not unquestionable that Strauss will continue to fail and the pressure on Vaughan will just be repeated on Strauss.
Actually, Strauss for me has looked the money for the entire duration of all his innings this series. And then hes somehow gotten out. Dont know what the problem is really, at first I was thinking that it was just a matter of time before he made a big score, but hes still got a lot to prove. Seems almost Butcheresque from the 2001 Ashes series, but I dont think Andrew Strauss is talented enough to play an innings of the calibre of Butcher's 173* at Headingly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Exactly. England came pretty close to winning at Edgbaston and going to the Oval with the series level. It wasn't as if they were "flippin murdered" in the match - far from it.
I think its fair to say that the storm has been brewing for a while though and if England hadnt lost this test they would have lost the next one. England's batting has simply not been firing for a long time now and changes needed to be made. I cannot think of anything that from this England side that has particularly inspired me since the last Ashes. We made hard work of beating a rather poor WI outfit at home and dismissed their only world class batsman once. Lost to India at home, a series we really should have won whatever way you look at it, lost 2-0 in SL which was really disappointing and then nearly lost to NZ in NZ before struggling to put them away at home. I dont mind Vaughan as captain if England had been delivering the results or if Vaughan had actually been scoring runs but the fact of the matter is that neither the case and if this rather uncomfortable decision wasnt made now, it would have been by the time Vaughan had managed to drink his tea in India after losing all the practice games.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patel seems an alright selection on paper, at least he fits a role - batsman who bowls some spin which is what England lack.

Prior and Bopara are however the most ****ing idiotic nilwitted selections since Pattinson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What position would you bat Bopara, surely he's not going to bat at 3?
Can only presume it'll be Bell three, Bopara five. And Bell three is yet another abysmally poor idea.

Unless it's Pietersen three, Collingwood four, Bell five, Bopara six. Which I much doubt.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not if you want someone who can actually catch.
Or someone who can score one-day runs, which Prior has proven well incapable of.

BTW, new-captain press-conferences are the most boring things in history. More cliches and please-new-sir-won't-you-state-the-obvious questions than you could wish for anywhere else.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, new-captain press-conferences are the most boring things in history. More cliches and please-new-sir-won't-you-state-the-obvious questions than you could wish for anywhere else.
Indeed. Want Pietersen to come out and say something really controversial. "Death to Mandela!" or something...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
FFS, Bopara in for the Fourth Test and Samit Patel in for the ODIs.

Bull**** yet again. 8-)
It was always going to be him. The idea that Key would come in was never going to happen. How many chances has he had? He's now viewed with the likes of Hick / Ramps as great county players (although not as good as those 2 obviously) who just didnt have the mentality for international cricket.

Patel for the ODI's is a bit of a shocker though. He's performed well for Leicester but didnt think he was so close. Id have rather seen someone like Hildreth in myself who i think has much more promise as a future England cricketer.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara having a decent season so at least they have a position they can defend but it is still a terrible selection.

If Ravi Bopara is one of the best 6 Test/FC batsmen in England then things are worse than I thought.

I will not repeat my stance on KP as I covered that plenty yesterday.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can only presume it'll be Bell three, Bopara five. And Bell three is yet another abysmally poor idea.

Unless it's Pietersen three, Collingwood four, Bell five, Bopara six. Which I much doubt.
Yeah I would say it's going to be
3 Bell
4 Pietersen
5 Collingwood
6 Bopara

I don't mind Bell at 3, he's got so much talent and it's nice to see him in early.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Or someone who can score one-day runs, which Prior has proven well incapable of.

So true. Said to a colleague whilst watching just now that I could have just stuck a CD of sporting cliches on instead of scheduling my lunch around it

And Key and Joyce, who both have better cases, don't even get a mention for those indignated.
Yeah, the thing with Shah though is that he was clearly the next in line, based on his standing in for Vaughan last summer, only to get shafted in SL. You'd have thought with Bopara's massive failure in that series that they would turn back to Shah this time.

But no.