• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

EssexEagle

Cricket Spectator
Umpiring

The umpiring in the 3rd test has been appaling. First Kallis in the SA first innings. It hit him on the foot in front of middle and off. How is that not out? Then Cook should have been out for a golden. It hit him on the shin in front of middle. Again, how is that not out? Monty should have had about 5 LBWs but the one he did get wasn't even out. Not only LBws, Panesar had a clear cut caught behind off the glove; incredibly it was refused. This brings back memories of the infamous India vs Australia test.

Also what does everyone think of the two big issues in this test:

1. Flintoff's "invisible" yorker
2. Low catches.

gio

U19 Cricketer
England need a wicket soon...

WRT Essex Eagle,

1. It only seems to be Flintoff, thus I see it as a skill from Flintoff
2. About time the word of the fielders is taken. Technology pretty much useless.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England need a wicket soon...

WRT Essex Eagle,

1. It only seems to be Flintoff, thus I see it as a skill from Flintoff
2. About time the word of the fielders is taken. Technology pretty much useless.
It's not technology being useless, it's just misleading but I figure if someone was trained for a short time to recognise a low genuine catch and one that bounced by looking at replays then we could get decisive correct decisions and less of the 'benefit of the doubt' ones.

Napier16

Banned
The umpiring in the 3rd test has been appaling. First Kallis in the SA first innings. It hit him on the foot in front of middle and off. How is that not out? Then Cook should have been out for a golden. It hit him on the shin in front of middle. Again, how is that not out? Monty should have had about 5 LBWs but the one he did get wasn't even out. Not only LBws, Panesar had a clear cut caught behind off the glove; incredibly it was refused. This brings back memories of the infamous India vs Australia test..
It really is farcical to be honest. I'm absolutely sick of it. I believe sport should be factual, with correct decisions.

Anyone who like's the drama if inept officiating doesn't see it as a sport, but more as an entertaining theatrical performance, or a TV drama,not to be taken seriously. If that's what thye want then fine, but it shouldn't be in real cricket, they should make movies like it or whatever.

Stats shouldn't count or be recorded as the way it stands, as they count for very little.

gio

U19 Cricketer
It really is farcical to be honest. I'm absolutely sick of it. I believe sport should be factual, with correct decisions.

Anyone who like's the drama if inept officiating doesn't see it as a sport, but more as an entertaining theatrical performance, or a TV drama,not to be taken seriously. If that's what thye want then fine, but it shouldn't be in real cricket, they should make movies like it or whatever.

Stats shouldn't count or be recorded as the way it stands, as they count for very little.
Does that mean the history of cricket should be written off because of the odd bad decision?

gio

U19 Cricketer
I fear for England here. Monty's getting turn, but can't seem to get the wicket. Freddie meanwhile looks really weary. Anderson just looks wayward. SA infront here.

Napier16

Banned
I fear for England here. Monty's getting turn, but can't seem to get the wicket. Freddie meanwhile looks really weary. Anderson just looks wayward. SA infront here.
Rubbish, you'll come out on the right end of an umpire error in a minute. I'm sure. Do not fear.

Redbacks

International Captain
SA keeping up a good run rate has turned it back in thier favour. Still will only take one good ball to put England in the box seat

gio

U19 Cricketer
SA keeping up a good run rate has turned it back in thier favour. Still will only take one good ball to put England in the box seat
One ball has to be followed with 5 more. That's the problem, England need to keep taking wickets.

If Boucher comes out firing with Smith still there, they could take the game away from England. William Hill says it all

England 6/4
SA 1/2

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One ball has to be followed with 5 more. That's the problem, England need to keep taking wickets.

If Boucher comes out firing with Smith still there, they could take the game away from England. William Hill says it all

England 6/4
SA 1/2
So it's flipped, wish I'd put my money where my mouth is, tbh. Would of been a consolation, a scant one though...

gio

U19 Cricketer
Code:
ustralia 2nd innings (target: 282 runs)                        R   M   B  4 6
JL Langer                                b Flintoff            28  54  47  4 0
ML Hayden             c Trescothick      b SP Jones            31 106  64  4 0
*RT Ponting           c GO Jones         b Flintoff             0   4   5  0 0
DR Martyn             c Bell             b Hoggard             28  64  36  5 0
MJ Clarke                                b Harmison            30 101  57  4 0
SM Katich             c Trescothick      b Giles               16  27  21  3 0
+AC Gilchrist         c Flintoff         b Giles                1   8   4  0 0
JN Gillespie          lbw                b Flintoff             0   4   2  0 0
SK Warne              hit wicket         b Flintoff            42  79  59  4 2
B Lee                 not out                                  43  99  75  5 0
MS Kasprowicz         c GO Jones         b Harmison            20  60  31  3 0
Extras                (b 13, lb 8, w 1, nb 18)                 40
Total                 (all out, 64.3 overs, 307 mins)         279

FoW: 1-47 (Langer, 12.2 ov), 2-48 (Ponting, 12.6 ov),
     3-82 (Hayden, 22.5 ov), 4-107 (Martyn, 26.1 ov),
     5-134 (Katich, 31.6 ov), 6-136 (Gilchrist, 33.5 ov),
     7-137 (Gillespie, 34.2 ov), 8-175 (Clarke, 43.4 ov),
     9-220 (Warne, 52.1 ov), 10-279 (Kasprowicz, 64.3 ov).
To make a comparison, SA are only 4 down, Australia were 7 by this point...

A bit pointless, I know, but it shows that England are clear 2nd favourites at the moment.

Redbacks

International Captain
Unlucky Kaspa:-O

South Africa's tail isn't the most talented with the bat in world cricket

Last edited: