• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, sorry, been a while since I last watched cricket with you - I forget how disappointed you get at England poor performances. :)

TBF, SA lost 2 of that ilk to MSP at Lord's. He's almost as mediocre as those two on pitches like Lord's and this too.
Nah Paul Harris is embarrassingly bad. Monty turned a few out of the footmarks at Lords. Harris may be the worst bowler ever to pick up Pietersen's wicket.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Because batsmen make mistakes.
Flintoff plays too hard at the ball, especially first up. Pietersen just got overconfident. Bell / Cook / Vaughan really do need to look at themselves though.

Lets not get TOO down hearted. SA are a great team and were always favorites to win this series. But the way England has played since the Ashes win has really been poor. Batting wise we really need to sort some **** out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah Paul Harris is embarrassingly bad. Monty turned a few out of the footmarks at Lords.
Even so, ABdeV got out in the exact same way as Pietersen to an equally nothing ball, and someone else got out like Flintoff IIRR.
Harris may be the worst bowler ever to pick up Pietersen's wicket.
I seem to recall Pietersen getting out to Tendulkar before now.

Uppercut

Suddenly Collingwood looks tentative again.
He's looked dodgy in defense right through the innings. Plays with very hard hands, lots of bottom hand. I think he went out with the idea that hes been scoring a lot of limited over runs this summer, so he'd be best off treating this as a limited over game.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
And that's really why Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, (and Chanderpaul :p) are so much better than Pietersen. That was dire.
Not really IMO. I've seen equally brainless shots form Tendy & Lara in similar situations in the past.

Lara vs MacGill @ Antigua 03
Tendulkar vs Saqlain Chennai 99

Plus i'm sure there has been a few others especially from Lara.

None such shots from Ponting since 2001 comes to mind ATM, while Shiv well you never expect such shots from him.

Uppercut

Even so, ABdeV got out in the exact same way to an equally nothing ball, and someone else got out like Flintoff IIRR.

I seem to recall Pietersen getting out to Tendulkar before now.
Hmm. Tendulkar is worse than Paul Harris, but he's more threatening.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gee our batting doesn't get any better, does it. Only caught glimpses this afternoon, but Cook, Vaughan & Bell all need public floggings for their dismissals, and the KP throws it away when SA were there for the taking. Barring something senstional over the next 24 hours, this series is looking terminal for captain and, quite possibly, the coach who has presided over the complacency and stupidity that has developed over the last year and a bit.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to give credit to Colly. Has really played a fighting knock in a (probably) losing cause. Would love to see (& obviously England despeartely need) him to go on to the ton now.

Get to see what Ambrose is made of too. He owes the selectors' faith some runs here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gee our batting doesn't get any better, does it. Only caught glimpses this afternoon, but Cook, Vaughan & Bell all need public floggings for their dismissals, and the KP throws it away when SA were there for the taking. Barring something senstional over the next 24 hours, this series is looking terminal for captain and, quite possibly, the coach who has presided over the complacency and stupidity that has developed over the last year and a bit.
Can't see Moores being dropped TBH.

Mind I'd not and never have been sorry to see Duncan Fletcher recalled. I very much doubt that, though, even if Moores were to be taken off.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's called "common-sense".
No it's not. To say that England have lost this is not common sense. It's an indication of someone who has never watched cricket before. Much stranger things have happened than would be England winning this match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No it's not. To say that England have lost this is not common sense. It's an indication of someone who has never watched cricket before. Much stranger things have happened than would be England winning this match.
England winning this would be a rather considerable surprise.

If anyone is expecting it, the likelihood is disappointment.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Share the disappointment, but we need to back these batsmen to come good since they are the best in the land & nobody on the circuit (unless Trescothick didn't have his issues) could have come in & done better.