• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
And all of a sudden SA are just letting this slip.
They mentioned it on TMS before this innings. When you have a load like SA had, if the other team knock it off and start building a lead they will start to get tight and try and go more defensive, even though they may be still in the box seat.

England are still 110 odd for 4 in real terms, which puts SA on top still but they're playing as if England are on top. 1 wicket here and England could easily collapse for 250 ao.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What do you reckon would be a potentially matchwinning lead for England? 250 or so? I can see them reaching that as long as these two stick together and Flintoff bats as well as he did in the first innings.
Hmm, I think 250 will get you a real good game. Personally, as I'm supporting England, I wouldn't feel pretty comfortable with less than 300.

It is a long, long way to go to reach that point though.

pskov

International 12th Man
South Africa's seamers bowling utter rubbish, pure and simple.
Still have to give some credit to Collingwood. It would have been very easy for him to come in and turtle along. He's decided to go out and play shots instead. If he got out in single figures his Test career would have been over no doubt, so he's been brave for having a go, even if the bowling has been mediocre.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
What do you reckon would be a potentially matchwinning lead for England? 250 or so? I can see them reaching that as long as these two stick together and Flintoff bats as well as he did in the first innings.
250 would make SA sweat. But we need MINIMUM 300 lead before you can say England would be favorites. Especially considering we're only on day 3 now, so most of SA chase will happen on a Day 4 pitch rather than a Day 5.

gio

U19 Cricketer
SA have bowled poorly since tea. Too short to Collingwood, and when they have bowled full, it's been on his legs. Still, I'm not complaining... yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still have to give some credit to Collingwood. It would have been very easy for him to come in and turtle along. He's decided to go out and play shots instead.
I very much doubt it. If he had any sense he would have decided to play the ball on its merits.

And the merits have been to be smashed for four. And that's just what he's done most of the time.

Now Pietersen getting this reverse-sweep out in Tests.

gio

U19 Cricketer
250 would make SA sweat. But we need MINIMUM 300 lead before you can say England would be favorites. Especially considering we're only on day 3 now, so most of SA chase will happen on a Day 4 pitch rather than a Day 5.
The pitch is looking great at the moment. If the conditions don't deteriate much, then I agree, a 300 lead is minimum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What do you reckon would be a potentially matchwinning lead for England? 250 or so?
SA should get 250 easily, this is a perfectly decent pitch. But 300, that'd be quite an ask methinks.

EDIT: above post says near enough the exact same.

pskov

International 12th Man
I very much doubt it. If he had any sense he would have decided to play the ball on its merits.

And the merits have been to be smashed for four. And that's just what he's done most of the time.

Now Pietersen getting this reverse-sweep out in Tests.

If he had come in in any type of form whatsoever then yes of course I'd agree. But considering his mental state it would have been understandable, though still reproachable, if he hadn't taken the attitude he has. I expect many players, not just county players but test batsmen, would have seen the match situation and considering their form and pressure on their place would have gone into a shell.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Right now it's very even. If England lose Pietersen and Collingwood, or even just Pietersen, then SA could skittle England out for <300. But if these two stay together for a while, then England could be looking at a lead of close to 200 by the end of the day.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fantastic spell of batting by England here, and SA's bowling is looking a little anaemic. Great to see Colly get his 50 just now - as I've said before, I don't enjoy watching him bat, but you can't help but love Collingwood the man. Showing great fight to keep his place here.

There's nothing I can say about Pietersen that hasn't already been said, my favourite batsman in world cricket continues to impress. Delighted that we've given ourselves a fighting chance at saving this series, although there's still a long way to go in this game yet. Need to set them 300 to have a chance IMO, but two hours ago that didn't look remotely possible.

EDIT: And Pietersen throws it away. Dammit, Kev. :@ Carn Freddie.