• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Enjoying watching this innings from KP - normally I can't stand the guy. I like almost every other player on the England's team though, especially Cook and Vaughan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gower really has no respect for Harris don't think I've ever heard him be more condescending towards a player.
Not the only one either.

Odd, as you'll see worse fingerspinners than Harris. Two have played for England not so long ago in Dawson and Batty.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Harris isn't bad - SA just can't use him right it seems. He doesn't know his role, and neither does South Africa. If you let him attack and don't mind him going for runs, he can do a real good job, I feel. He has been looking so much worse ever since he has been used to slow down run rates and play contain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harris isn't bad - SA just can't use him right it seems. He doesn't know his role, and neither does South Africa. If you let him attack and don't mind him going for runs, he can do a real good job, I feel. He has been looking so much worse ever since he has been used to slow down run rates and play contain.
Harris isn't good enough to attack on these sorts of pitches, nor is any fingerspinner. You can "use" (whatever that means) him however you want, won't make any difference.

He can be a good attacking force on the right surface though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Harris isn't good enough to attack on these sorts of pitches, nor is any fingerspinner. You can "use" (whatever that means) him however you want, won't make any difference.

I pretty much agree with that. Even on spinning surfaces, I don't feel they set the right fields to him, or bring him on in the proper situations for him to prosper.

chalky

International Debutant

I agree don't think he has been significantly worse than Monty this series TBH

chalky

International Debutant
South Africa have lost control after tea just seen a stat that England are scoring at 6 an over really without taking any risks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I pretty much agree with that. Even on spinning surfaces, I don't feel they set the right fields to him, or bring him on in the proper situations for him to prosper.
Well I've never seen him bowl on a turning surface unfortunately, so I don't know about matters there. But as I say, it wouldn't matter what you do on surfaces like these 3 so far, or the 5 we had in SA in 2007/08. He's still never going to be effective - just doesn't spin the ball enough.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Probably more to do with the fact Smith has had little to no experience of captaining good spin bowlers. England have had similar problems in the past.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just popped over to cricinfo for the run rate: 6.80 in the last ten overs. I'm watching it live, and didn't think it went that high.

Great counterattack here. I love Test cricket. Watching this game in the morning, while watching the back and forth with India-SL yesterday - well it's close to sports nirvana for me...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably more to do with the fact Smith has had little to no experience of captaining good spin bowlers. England have had similar problems in the past.
Well, TBF apart from Mark Taylor and Arjuna Ranatunga (plus at home Mohammad Azharuddin and Sourav Ganguly) who has had said experience since covered pitches?

Stapel

International Regular
Right, I get away from the action a moment, return and notice this:

Last 10 ovs 68/0 RR 6.80

What's happening?

pskov

International 12th Man
Right, I get away from the action a moment, return and notice this:

Last 10 ovs 68/0 RR 6.80

What's happening?
KP and Colly are taking it to them, batting positively and when they go for the odd risky stroke it comes off in their favour.

pskov

International 12th Man
What do you reckon would be a potentially matchwinning lead for England? 250 or so? I can see them reaching that as long as these two stick together and Flintoff bats as well as he did in the first innings.