• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, one crap fielder drops one off the bowler you want it caught off, another crap fielder catches one off the bowler you don't. 8-)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Numpties in the crowd might love Panesar, but every opposition side in Test cricket love him more. Could be facing some overs from Harmison, Simon Jones, Hoggard etc. who can field and bat better too, but instead they have the awesome non-contribution of a toothless finger spinner.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sidebottom has bowled really well today. He has been getting some inswing and troubling all the batsmen. Anderson has also bowled well, credits to them both.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does it matter whether it was Anderson or Sidebottom who got it? :unsure:
honestly anyone thinking sidebottom deserves to have taken more wickets than anderson this test is seriously kidding themself
It's less that than that Anderson has bowled very poorly this Test and isn't someone I rate on a long-term basis. So therefore when he does bowl poorly, it's vital from selection POV that this doesn't get disguised.

tooextracool

International Coach
personally, i dont think sidebottom is a better bowler than anderson, not has he bowled anywhere near as well as anderson this summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No he hasn't, but I rate Sidebottom as a more skilled bowler than Anderson whose chances of success long-term (insofar as long-term exists for a 30-year-old) are better.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If Anderson could consistently find the right length, he has the potential to be up there with the best pace bowlers in the world. If only....

tooextracool

International Coach
i would rate sidebottom, but its incredibly obvious that when his inswinger isnt working, hes a very very ordinary bowler. yesterday was a case in point. I guess you could argue that Anderson is also reliant on swing friendly conditions, but his ability to swing the ball both ways and his performances in the first 2 tests of this series make me believe that as long as Flintoff is in the same side, Anderson would be a better pick.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sidebottom is currently averaging 25, and he's not had the most luck, probably the least in fact out of our bowlers. I can't remember how he did against India, shall look it up now, and do realise that his low average may partly be down to playing a lot of his games again West Indies & New Zealand, but someone who has taken wickets consistently as he has over the last 14 months should obviously be retained until he has a proper slump, rather than a few bad days here and there.