• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm less uptight about these slips not being straight in a line with no gully than some are, but there should be more than 3 men in the cordon IMO. This ball is still doing plenty.
Plus neither of these guys is even close to being set.

Morning all, btw.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Almost want Sidebottom to clean-up the rest TBH.

Would demonstrate once more that you don't neccessarily have to take five-fors to bowl extraordinarily well.
Well of course you don't, but Flintoff deserves a 5 for his efforts.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Uninteresting fact of the day, cricinfo seems to be keeping up with play today, always seems behind when I'm in work (ie someone will say GONE and then 1 minute later the out will come up on cricinfo)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Was going to edit that in TBH but the edit function was sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww so I couldn't be arsed.

Here for the day?
Regrettably not. In fact I'm popping out for a bit soon after typing this. And I'll have no chance of sitting down & doing this after lunch.

Sounds like I missed a wonderful battle between Fred & Kallis yesterday - perhaps more Holding vs Boycott than Donald vs Athers? In terms of the final result, anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like I missed a wonderful battle between Fred & Kallis yesterday - perhaps more Holding vs Boycott than Donald vs Athers? In terms of the final result, anyway.
Indeed, and in terms of the relative brevity too.

AAD-Ath in 1998 seemed to go on for nearly an hour. This couldn't have been much more than 10 minutes or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New ball, plan
Sheeysh, I hope this works. If this new nut doesn't swing, when the old one was, they'll be kicking themselves royally.

No reason that should happen, and indeed Sidebottom gets it to bend in nicely 1st delivery, but you always worry in these sorts of situations.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aye. Wanna see these 3 knocked over really quickly. A deficit of 50 is nothing when you're batting third.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye. Wanna see these 3 knocked over really quickly. A deficit of 50 is nothing when you're batting third.
Hmm, nothing?

A good opening stand and it's nothing, but a couple of early wickets and it's potentially crucial.

Sidebottom trying hard for the magic ball so far here. Can't really criticise him for doing so, but it hasn't worked yet.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed.

This is where teams with a pretention to be good need to make a move. They have SA in the position they want, but the lesser teams are not able to finish it off.

We will get a peek at what type of team England are. Hard work is done but can they leap upon an wounded SA?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay got a bit carried away with nothing, but in theory it can be offset by the fact that they have to bat 4th

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just cannot fathom Flintoff bowling over-the-wicket at the left-hander here. He's had all success doing otherwise.

EDIT: good, round-the-wicket now. Morkel smacks it for four 1st up, but never mind - keep at it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agreed.

This is where teams with a pretention to be good need to make a move. They have SA in the position they want, but the lesser teams are not able to finish it off.

We will get a peek at what type of team England are. Hard work is done but can they leap upon an wounded SA?
Yes. So often in recent years we have seen us go 6 or 7 to all out in no time, and then spent hours trying to get the opposition tail out

Flem274*

123/5
Come on England, get some wickets!

More importantly, score some bloody runs. None of you are Matthew Bell so no excuses. :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan maybe should have considered giving Panesar a few with the old ball against Morkel. Morkel looks like a batsman against pace but against spin he looks like an old lady waving her broomstick at passing flies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Plenty of rain here. Should spice the pitch up but might also deaden the effect of the new-ball.

Either way, hope it blows over quickly.