• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Woodster

International Captain
Much prefer this line-up for the 3rd Test. Looks much better balanced, certainly in terms of the batting. I appreciate we more than likely need to take 20 wickets to win the Test, but I am much more in favour of ensuring we get decent scores on the board first.

An attack consisting of Flintoff, Anderson, Sidebottom, Panesar and occasional efforts from Collingwood and KP is a fairly decent attack. It is still lacking a bit of express pace and mystery spin to completely satisfy me, but the lads in there at the moment deserve their places in the side ahead of the rest at the minute.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I still cant understand why Bell isnt bowled so much more. He always took wickets on a regular basis for Warks when he bowled earlier on in his career.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Ill take this line-up. It wouldnt be my first choice but I can see the logic and everyone has a pretty deserving case for inclusion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I still cant understand why Bell isnt bowled so much more. He always took wickets on a regular basis for Warks when he owned earlier on in his career.
There must be a reason, even Cook got a bowl the other week. Maybe Bell has given up bowling completely :unsure:

pasag

RTDAS
More or less happy with the side also, especially with Broad not being kept for his batting. Should be a top Test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No. He's not getting any younger, he'll be 33 by next summer, and I'm not often in favour of recalls for such players who I've never thought anything particularly special ITFP.

BTW, "should never play <insert level of cricket> again" generally refers to "under normal circumstances" - ie not if 5 or 6 players go down injured.
my goodness, look get away from the computer son..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The second part is an interesting point, because in most other jobs you would be forced to take the decision most logical based on the information provided.

For example, if i worked for a trading company and decided to invest heavily in the flashy wildcard business Pattison Inc., who had just been set up by an unknown Australia consortium, instead of the tried-and-trusted Hoggard & Sons Ltd. whom we controversially withdrew funds from earlier that year, i'd fully expect to be fired. Selectors, it seems, can get away with it.
And one person in particular has been rather vocal in suggesting that they shouldn't.

Of course, cricket is quite unlike any other profession, both in playing and selecting, and I've said that in other contexts (ie, the Kolpak\EU-passport situation). But there is IMO more leeway given in terms of selection than there should be, for mine.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interestingly, bookies are making SA pretty strong favourites for this match. Not sure i agree with that, given the pitch reports ive read and (especially) the fact that Steyn's out.

Uppercut

On second thoughts, i have SA to win the series so i'll stick to my guns and hope for the best.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Noisily confident about tomorrow. Good recent memories of Edgbaston, think we've won our last three there, and here is my 17th useless Andrew Flintoff stat of the summer:

At Edgbaston he averages 48 with the bat and 30 with the ball. Pietersen, meanwhile averages 60 there. Looking at the rest of the team can't find anything special mind you :ph34r:

Uppercut

Looks like conditions will suit the English bowlers. Weather forecast says tomorrow will be the only day without rain and/or cloud cover, so it could be a pretty important toss. That said, teams winning the toss and choosing to bat have a significantly worse record over the past ten or so tests than those choosing to field...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well if the winning captain puts the opposition in, that would be three out of three this series where the tosswinner has bowled first. It seems quite the possibility.

I wonder if it has ever happened in every match of a series?>

Uppercut

Well if the winning captain puts the opposition in, that would be three out of three this series where the tosswinner has bowled first. It seems quite the possibility.

I wonder if it has ever happened in every match of a series?>
Hmm, but i think batting first will probably be the option here. If it's sunny, i can't see either captain putting the other team in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Misread your post and thought you said there would be cloud cover tomorrow. Turns out that I'm a drongo.

Uppercut

Weather forecasts are BS anyway. I woke up this morning in the middle of torrential rain to the news that "the weather will be particularly nice in Belfast today...".