• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison for Anderson perhaps? I know Broad hasn't been getting many wickets, but it still seems hard to drop someone who's just made three 50s in consecutive Tests. Not many of the batters have managed that.
If he plays he must play instead of Collingwood in the above team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh dear - anyone seen the latest? Bangs A's 59-6 replying to 429-3. Not sure if Smith would even consider this worthwhile practice.
South Africa have a lead of 308, by no means guaranteed that they'll enforce the follow-on though.
This is one of the worst First-Class mismatches of recent times.

Why the hell hasn't Dhiman Ghosh bowled again though??????

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Bangladesh last long enough so Harris and Robbie P can both have a significant bowl. Also give Nel and Zondeki the new ball, Ntini is likely to get too many wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bastard isnt censored?
Nope.

Always been somewhat surprised about that, truth be told. Same true of wanker, especially odd given that **** is filtered (that'll be starred-out, so it = the first four letters of the aforementioned word).

I don't mind it but it's one of the more stringent "bad" words and less strong ones aren't filtered.

However, as long as it remains off the filter I won't have many qualms about using it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go with one of two XIs.

If it is a flat pitch:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Broad
Ambrose
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

If it is a seaming wicket:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Ambrose
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go with one of two XIs.

If it is a flat pitch:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Broad
Ambrose
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

If it is a seaming wicket:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Ambrose
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

So why would you want Panesar on a seaming wicket? So Vaughan can break Flintoff again because he's only got 3 seamers?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cricket Writers on TV was a good watch this morning. Think we can say for sure that the following things will happen:

Broad won't play, Harmison will

Bizarrely one of the writers said he'd drop Anderson for Harmison (IIRC, was a fair racket in my living room at the time) which is one of the worst things I've heard for a while. For me, I don't object to Harmison playing (though it will be without expectation) but it has to be as part of either a fourth seamer with no spinner or part of a five-man attack. He has no right at this point to play ahead of either Anderson or Sidebottom, and it would also be ludicrous to pick him ahead of Flintoff (not that that would happen anyway). Potentially intriguing selection coming up, tbh I think it could well fall down to Collingwood V Panesar.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cricket Writers on TV was a good watch this morning. Think we can say for sure that the following things will happen:

Broad won't play, Harmison will

Bizarrely one of the writers said he'd drop Anderson for Harmison (IIRC, was a fair racket in my living room at the time) which is one of the worst things I've heard for a while. For me, I don't object to Harmison playing (though it will be without expectation) but it has to be as part of either a fourth seamer with no spinner or part of a five-man attack. He has no right at this point to play ahead of either Anderson or Sidebottom, and it would also be ludicrous to pick him ahead of Flintoff (not that that would happen anyway). Potentially intriguing selection coming up, tbh I think it could well fall down to Collingwood V Panesar.
Yeah, was interesting stuff. Victor has a beautiful speaking voice, doesn't he? Gus looks about 50 now tho, mind you he always did look like he was knackered when he was playing & kept charging in.

Missed the first twenty minutes, but they all came down in favour of Mick for the Ashes, which was interesting.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So why would you want Panesar on a seaming wicket? So Vaughan can break Flintoff again because he's only got 3 seamers?
Pitches can, in general, start to take spin on the fourth and fifth days, even if they started as seaming wickets and in such a scenario, Monty could be crucial to pushing for a result in the final innings or in the third innings.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh so now drivel is the worst word ever used on CW...I'm sure you were around in the earlier days when this was not only a cricket chat forum but a place to express your disliking for other inferior races
I know Richard is a computer program, but I didn't know he was a Dalek.