• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keith Miller v Sir Garry Sobers

Who was better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not exactly the same method but similar flawed (imo) methods, that I don't agree with:)
That's more like it. :)

FWIW, I don't agree with your favoured method of rating players, which involves taking virtually no notice of statistics either, but variety is the spice of life I suppose.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm late to this thread, but it's more or less a continuation of a previous one. So here's my two cents....

None of the posters who have criticized Sobers' bowling appear to have ever seen him bowl, and their judgment is based exclusively on statistics. As I pointed out in the previous thread, while statistics are illuminating they do not by any means tell the whole story. If they did you would conclude that Ken Barrington was a better batsman than Peter May, since he averaged 58 in a longer Test career than May, who averaged 46. No one who saw them both believes that. You need to understand the context of the game in order to evaluate players - which means reading match reports, player biographies and the like as well as statistics.

As someone who actually saw Sobers play many times I am amazed at some of the statements that I see here. Sobers could and did hold his place exclusively as a bowler in a strong West Indies team that was considered the best in the world. In the mid-1960's the bowling lineup consisted of Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs. Players like the Jamaican fast bowler Lester King and the Guyanese slow left arm bowler Edwin Mohammed played little or no Test cricket because Sobers was around. His cousin, the keg-spinner David Holford, who joined the team in 1966 was the fifth bowler, not Sobers.

At his peak (1966-67) in the series against England and India Sobers not only averaged over 100 with the bat but also finished second in terms of wickets taken and bowling average to Gibbs. He repeated this performance in the Rest of the World series against England. Despite the claims made for some other all rounders, I can identify several teams (West Indies in the 1960's, 70's and 80's, England in the mid 50's) that Miller, Imran or Botham would not have made with the bat alone.

Ultimately, however, the sheer hubris of some of the comments made here is quite breathtaking. After all, I am not the only person who believes that Sobers is the greatest all rounder in history (or at least since W.G. Grace). So do the three generations of players and fans who saw him play - those born between 1900 and 1920, his contemporaries, born between 1920 and 1950, and those like me born after 1950. Without undue effort I can identify the following players, journalists and officials who share my view:

John Arlott, Trevor Bailey, Bishan Bedi, Dickie Bird, Don Bradman, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Denis Compton, Colin Cowdrey, Ted Dexter, Jack Fingleton, Tom Graveney, Charlie Griffith, Wes Hall, Ray Illingworth, Brian Johnston, Alan Knott, Jim Laker, Dennis Lillee, Clive Lloyd, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Hanif Mohammed, Barry Richards, John Snow, E.W.Swanton, Derek Underwood, Clyde Walcott, Peter Walker, Everton Weekes, Ian Wooldridge.

Does anyone know any other candidate for the title of greatest all rounder who could draw this type of support from first class cricketers? Is there any reason to believe that any of the posters on this forum is a better judge of cricketing talent than the collective wisdom of this group?

There is a reason that Sobers obtained 90 votes out of 100 in the poll for Wisden cricketer of the century - more than Miller, Imran, Botham, Kapil Dev combined. Hint: it wasn't solely because of his batting, great though that was. Hobbs, who was an even greater batsman, won only 30 votes.
You're struggling on lift-off mate. West Indies were anything but a great bowling side. Sobers' inclusion definitely did not make them stronger for it. Just take a look at the names.

I, really, by arguing my case, am asking HOW could Sobers be so universally talked about as a bowler when his record is at best average. I don't care if he LOOKED like a good bowler. This isn't, as I said, a difference of 1-2 runs on average...his record is really not arguable to me...and if it is, then those who pit him at the top should bring some REAL basis for it. Not because it is a competition, but because if any of us are to appreciate him we have to have some reasoning behind it.

I am not one who takes contemporary analysis lightly. You have to see my takes on Lillee and Richards to notice this. They didn't have the best records amongst their contemporaries but were lauded the best. Now, at least they were IN the statistical ball-park. Sobers, just isn't and no argument here has put him near it. Testimony can only go so far. Especially in an age where not all matches were seen by everybody and unlike today the statistical data is not as readily available.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You said they're the same people who use stats in the Lillee and Richards examples... but they're not. Some people try to have it one way in some cases and another in others.
If this means me, then you've got it wrong. I don't see how rating Lillee ahead and not rating Sobers ahead is a conflict in my method. It's a totally different method. There is only so much statistical leniency I am willing to give for testimony. Sobers is beyond leniency IMO; his bowling record even when you do give big leniency merely becomes average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Generally the more Australian a player is the more leniency you tend to give the testimonies about them.

Richards is the exception with you, and it's been noted before now how Richards' batting had the ability to transcend which team you supported.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling of Test teams in Sobers' career:

West Indies

Australia

England

New Zealand

India

South Africa

Pakistan

West Indian bowling can be said to be better than India and equal to New Zealand's. Certainly not one of the stronger bowling sides.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Generally the more Australian a player is the more leniency you tend to give the testimonies about them.

Richards is the exception with you, and it's been noted before now how Richards' batting had the ability to transcend which team you supported.
Let's entertain your non-sense there. So tell, me, which Australian player have I ever given this much leniency to?

You say Nasser Hussain is better than Matthew Hayden for christ's sake. Nick Knight is better than Adam Gilchrist. Lillee is not in the same league as Ambrose. Etc.

Let's not get into nationalistic bias or prejudice. The real correlation is the fact that the players I tend to give 'leniency' to those who were generally the best players of the best team in a certain era.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's entertain your non-sense there. So tell, me, which Australian player have I ever given this much leniency to?
Lillee, for one. Warne, spectacularly so.
You say Nasser Hussain is better than Matthew Hayden for christ's sake. Nick Knight is better than Adam Gilchrist. Lillee is not in the same league as Ambrose. Etc.
So? That's nothing to do with which team they played for. And BTW, I've not, once, said Lillee is not in the same league as Ambrose.
Let's not get into nationalistic bias or prejudice. The real correlation is the fact that the players I tend to give 'leniency' to those who were generally the best players of the best team in a certain era.
Nah, they're those that for whatever reason you've decided you think are... and mostly they tend to be Australians.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lillee, for one. Warne, spectacularly so.
Warne, even compared against the best is only a few average and SR points off. Not 10+. Also being a spinner, he's automatically disadvantaged a little compared to fast bowlers. That's why Warne and Murali are lauded to the high heavens.

So? That's nothing to do with which team they played for. And BTW, I've not, once, said Lillee is not in the same league as Ambrose.
You're right, you've not said it word for word but let's remember this old gem.

Can't believe anyone can seriously even speak of the two in the same breath, TBH.

Ambrose did everything a seam-bowler could want to do. Lillee, whether he'd have been able to or not, didn't.

Ambrose's career trumps Lillee's easily.
You.Are.Not.In.Any.Position.To.Criticise.People.For.Their.Opinions.

Nah, they're those that for whatever reason you've decided you think are... and mostly they tend to be Australians.
Nah, you're just not very bright. You don't seem to notice that in large portions Australia have been the greatest Test team in history and have certainly had a large share in the best players of all time.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I see the pointless attempts to belittle Sober's bowling are continuing. On that basis it would be interesting to see why Miller is supposedly the "more rounded" all-rounder when his batting record is just as mediocre as Sober's bowling if stats are all that matter.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I see the pointless attempts to belittle Sober's bowling are continuing. On that basis it would be interesting to see why Miller is supposedly the "more rounded" all-rounder when his batting record is just as mediocre as Sober's bowling if stats are all that matter.
How is it mediocre? I just showed you in this thread, if you've been reading the posts. That in comparison to the world and his team it is above average at the least. It was also consistent. Not great for 5 games and poor for 15. Are you really reading the thread? If you want people to not belittle Sobers' record, then give us some insight. Again, can't change my mind of what I can't possibly know not having been born at the time if those that do know aren't or can't share their insights.

Furthermore, a lot of the people who did vote for Sobers did not see them also. Why did they vote him? I'm interested to know, genuinely.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
His stats are - and I mean his individual stats compared to other batsman not the batting average of 500 players combined.
His stats are still above the average even taking into account only batsmen from 1-7. Sobers' bowling needs to be adjusted heavily simply to become the average of other bowlers. And if we used the same stance as you are using for Miller ("His stats are") then he is not even close to what "average" is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Warne, even compared against the best is only a few average and SR points off. Not 10+. Also being a spinner, he's automatically disadvantaged a little compared to fast bowlers. That's why Warne and Murali are lauded to the high heavens.
I really cannot be bothered with this crap again.
You're right, you've not said it word for word but let's remember this old gem.

You.Are.Not.In.Any.Position.To.Criticise.People.For.Their.Opinions.
Err, yessssssss, I am.
Nah, you're just not very bright. You don't seem to notice that in large portions Australia have been the greatest Test team in history and have certainly had a large share in the best players of all time.
:laugh: So now you're making more judgements on things you don't have a clue on. You have no power to assess my intelligence - not that there's any direct correlation between that any cricket analytical ability, Beevers with his high IQ is proof enough of that. Yes, Australia have had some of the best players, but there's no way as many Australians as you think are as good as you think.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
His stats are still above the average even taking into account only batsmen from 1-7. Sobers' bowling needs to be adjusted heavily simply to become the average of other bowlers. And if we used the same stance as you are using for Miller ("His stats are") then he is not even close to what "average" is.

Whether it be 1-7 or 1-11 it's still hundred's of players and a completely nonsensical comparison which proves nothing.

Migara

International Coach
Small point.

Sobers bowled spin, when the pitch helped pace bowlers, helping to add another paceman. And when it spun, he bowled fast medium, allowing another spinner to be added. So he has bowled in the most unfriendly conditions a bowler could think of. Not one or two test, but majority of his tests. If analogy is taken (if any, and Miller played only a handful of games in the sub-continent, where he have been most disadvatageous), Miller averages 29 in Pakistan. If he played in India, who knows what will be his stats? Most probably it will be worse. Remember Lillee never played in India, and when he played in Pakistan, he was not the therat he used to be on bouncy pitches.

Sobers' average of 34 is much better than any bowlers average of 34. Because he got the worst conditions to bowl.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The flip side of that is Sobers being used as a second spinner when the pitch was taking turn, or him bowling a few overs of seam if the pitch was green and his bowlers tired.

Migara

International Coach
The flip side of that is Sobers being used as a second spinner when the pitch was taking turn, or him bowling a few overs of seam if the pitch was green and his bowlers tired.
That was not the way he was used, IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.