• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keith Miller v Sir Garry Sobers

Who was better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

archie mac

International Coach
So ignore completely the disproving and state once again as if proven?

8-) And that's not something I often have to do with you Sean. :sleep:
I thought it obvious that I was making a general comment as I did not mention any names, that was your choice Dear Richard:)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny Barrington was a better Test batsman than Peter May. There is no two ways about that. While there may be a decent amount of truth in the suggestion that May was superior against the seamers to Barrington and Barrington was much superior against spin than seam, the suggestion that Barrington was essentially incapable against top-quality seam is utter nonsense. And he'd have to be for May to have been a better batsman.

The place the May > Barrington claims come from is because they were both Surrey players, and as many of the assessments in those days came from those who watched domestic cricket as international. May was easily the better batsman of the two for Surrey, but he certainly wasn't for England.

This is indeed very odd, but it's the way it is. There's several reasons why it could have been, none of which completely explain such vast disparities.

That post probably emphasises why he said no one who "saw" them both believes it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who are these people making said comparison whose work you've read then Sean? Be interesting to see where they're coming from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought it obvious that I was making a general comment as I did not mention any names, that was your choice Dear Richard:)
Yeah, exactly - you can't make a general comment that has no specific examples which conform to it. It means the general comment is mistaken.

archie mac

International Coach
Who are these people making said comparison whose work you've read then Sean? Be interesting to see where they're coming from.
Jim Laker for one, has stated so in more then one book I have read, also Trueman, who had a lot of respect for both but thought May one of the very best he ever played with or against, but he said that he would have KB batting for his life.

Maybe someone could show me where they rate KB above May?:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never seen anyone who does - but I've never read anything from someone who faced or played with them more in Test cricket than domestic cricket.

Both of those players have far more reason to rate them as Surrey than England players.

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah, exactly - you can't make a general comment that has no specific examples which conform to it. It means the general comment is mistaken.

No, that logic is wrong, what I was saying that people who criticise Sobers as not being a true all rounder, will use the same or similar silly arguments based on stats to try and prove as fact there own opinion

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, that logic is wrong, what I was saying that people who criticise Sobers as not being a true all rounder, will use the same or similar silly arguments based on stats to try and prove as fact there own opinion
You said they're the same people who use stats in the Lillee and Richards examples... but they're not. Some people try to have it one way in some cases and another in others.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jim Laker for one, has stated so in more then one book I have read, also Trueman, who had a lot of respect for both but thought May one of the very best he ever played with or against, but he said that he would have KB batting for his life.

Maybe someone could show me where they rate KB above May?:unsure:
And Laker and May had at least one monumental falling out

archie mac

International Coach
You said they're the same people who use stats in the Lillee and Richards examples... but they're not. Some people try to have it one way in some cases and another in others.
I think you are nit picking, if they rate Richards but do not rate Lillee, that is not the point it is the way they choose to prove their point, which I gave examples, the fact that BS rates Richards but not Lillee is interesting but does nothing to disprove what I said.

This will be my last post on the subject as these arguments that I see you have with other posters seem to generate into silly point scoring, and I simply to not have the desire8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you are nit picking, if they rate Richards but do not rate Lillee, that is not the point it is the way they choose to prove their point, which I gave examples, the fact that BS rates Richards but not Lillee is interesting but does nothing to disprove what I said.
What you meant then is not "they are the same people who say Lillee isn't the greatest and Richards isn't the greatest" but "they use the same methods as those who say Lillee isn't the greatest and Richards isn't the greatest".

archie mac

International Coach
What you meant then is not "they are the same people who say Lillee isn't the greatest and Richards isn't the greatest" but "they use the same methods as those who say Lillee isn't the greatest and Richards isn't the greatest".
Not exactly the same method but similar flawed (imo) methods, that I don't agree with:)

Status
Not open for further replies.