• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cannot believe they are deliberately bowling a single short delivery with this new-ball. Sheer stupidity.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is not rated highly due to his statistics but due to people watching him play and so that comment is somewhat odd.
No he's rated because peasants make him some sort of cult figure, which means that everyone in the media suddenly likes him and has to build him up at every opportunity. See England footballers for an example of how hype is as important as performance to the muppet masses.

If his figures weren't constantly flattered by picking up cheap wickets like today then maybe these masses might actually be able to work out that he's actually pretty unremarkable as finger spinners go while most such players can actually bat and field in the first place.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No he's rated because peasants make him some sort of cult figure, which means that everyone in the media suddenly likes him and has to build him up at every opportunity. See England footballers for an example of how hype is as important as performance to the muppet masses.

If his figures weren't constantly flattered by picking up cheap wickets like today then maybe these masses might actually be able to work out that he's actually pretty unremarkable as finger spinners go while most such players can actually bat and field in the first place.
Have other spinners not had the same opportunities as Monty to have 'flattering' figures? I'm sure Gilo must have bowled to the tail one or two times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Yeah, Philip Tufnell, Venkatapathy Raju, Paul Harris, Rajesh Chauhan and Raymond Price were\are such brilliant batsmen and fielders, and Robert Croft is such a brilliant fielder.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So anyway, Monty Panesar most over-rated player in Test history or merely most flattered statistics in Test history?
I can tell that I'm venturing into a weird world of anti-Monty extremism here but I disagree that he's flattered by his stats or that he merely mops up cheap tailend wickets. I rather think he gets good batsmen out.

A couple of examples spring to mind:

Old Trafford 2006

1st innings:
Mohammad Yousuf
Faisal Iqbal
Shahid Afridi

2nd innings:
Imran Farhat
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Younis Khan
Faisal Iqbal

Perth 06/07

1st innings:
Langer
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee

2nd innings:
Hayden
Hussey
Symonds

Obviously at other times he will have mopped up the tail. But that's part of a bowler's job too, and all bowlers will have benefitted from the cheap wickets on offer later on in the innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Much as there's obviously been several occasions when he's got good batsmen out, calling Shahid Afridi, Imran Farhat and Faisal Iqbal such things is stretching it a bit. :p Andrew Symonds, Shane Warne and Brett Lee too.

fredfertang

Mr Zaremba you appear to be overlooking the exacting requirements of this tribunal not to mention its unique and very special flexible standard of proof

grecian

Why does everyone keep replying to Scaly? :wacko:
Yeah it's bizarre. It's well known you just ignore him when he's on one of his ridiculous "everyone else is wrong on this person and I'm right because I'm Special and not like the rest of you" subjects.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Much as there's obviously been several occasions when he's got good batsmen out, calling Shahid Afridi, Imran Farhat and Faisal Iqbal such things is stretching it a bit. :p Andrew Symonds, Shane Warne and Brett Lee too.
I was listing all his wickets in those matches. I wasn't trying to suggest that all the batsmen were good. By listing all his wickets was simply showing that not one of them was a rank tailender, and the great majority of them were top or middle order batsmen.

Which of them you would describe as good batsmen may be a matter of personal opinion, but in my view the likes of Inzi, Younis Khan, Langer, Gilchrist and (though I hate to admit it) Symonds are pretty fair batsmen.

Scaly piscine

Lets go through the Tests in reverse order.

This Test, 3-65 3 tailenders when it's too little too late. Rubbish
1st Test v SA, 4-190 in 86 overs - 2 tailenders. One batsman bowled around his legs another clipped to midwicket. Failed miserably with 0 wickets in 60 overs in SA's 2nd innings when trying to force a win

3rd Test v NZ 0-21
2nd Test v NZ 7-138. Horrible first innings performance puts England in trouble. Then 6 wickets in the 2nd innings when NZ decided to keep trying and sweep him and pad up to straight balls, included 1 tailender and Vettori.
1st Test v NZ 2-86. McCullum missing a straight ball on 97 and failed taking 1 wicket in 24 overs in NZ's second innings when trying to force a result.

3rd Test v NZ 6-126. Took 46 overs to take these wickets with NZ trying to get a draw. Standard lbw to a typical non-turner, top-edged long hop, lazy cut shot edged behind, a rare genuine edge from a good delivery, McCullum missing another non-turner and a tailender.
2nd Test v NZ 1-55. Last man out hits it to long-on
1st Test v NZ 4-151. A rare genuine edge in the first innings costing over 100 runs. 3 cheap meaningless wickets in the 2nd innings during a declaration charge including 1 tailender.

3rd Test v SL 0-76. Useless.
2nd Test v SL 2-150. Last two wickets in a declaration charge, one of them a tailender.
1st Test v SL 6-178. 1st innings 2 tailenders and a properly earned good wicket. 2nd innings 3-132, all 3 late wickets in a declaration charge, One tailender and another caught at long-on.

Do I need to go on or are you lot *finally* getting it?

Last edited:

grecian

How does the ignore system work?
You click on profile of the person who aggravates you, and it says "put this user on Ignore".

It's an imperfect system as the more "controversial" and "ridiculous" the persons views are in your opinon, the more they'll get quoted by others, but it's still the best way with some, to be honest.