• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who fancies a SA innings victory?

And who fancies that it's going to rain lots on the last two days?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Sure enough, eventually it's MSP who gets gifted the last one.

3-65, all of whom are non-batsmen. :laugh: It's pretty ridiculous when a high-class seamer like Flintoff toils away for 40-77-1 and a spinner gets that out of 522.
Monty isnt the first and wont be the last spinner to clean up the tail cheaply. Easy work if you can get it! :cool:

All counts towards the average though :laugh:

On another note. The SA no6 has scored 174. Where as England's no6 for this test was Ambrose. Just cant see him doing the same even if he had 100 tests :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Monty isnt the first and wont be the last spinner to clean up the tail cheaply. Easy work if you can get it! :cool:

All counts towards the average though :laugh:
Exactly - trouble is that people can now claim "aaah, Monty Panesar has now taken 10 wickets at Headingley in 3 Test matches, which is more than any spinner has managed in 50 over the last decade and therefore he's a superman spinner" or whatever.

When the truth is that only 2 out of those wickets have been what I'd call genuine.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Exactly - trouble is that people can now claim "aaah, Monty Panesar has now taken 10 wickets at Headingley in 3 Test matches, which is more than any spinner has managed in 50 over the last decade and therefore he's a superman spinner" or whatever.

When the truth is that only 2 out of those wickets have been what I'd call genuine.
I think you should give people more credit. Everyone knows Headingly is a spinners graveyard. Monty is no different. I remember watching Warne seriously struggle in Tests here in the past.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you should give people more credit.
For stuff they don't deserve credit for?!?!
Everyone knows Headingly is a spinners graveyard. Monty is no different. I remember watching Warne seriously struggle in Tests here in the past.
He'd be different, so would everyone, if he'd had the chance to have tailenders gift him wickets like today. Nowhere is a graveyard for any bowler if they're bowling at tailenders.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
For stuff they don't deserve credit for?!?!

He'd be different, so would everyone, if he'd had the chance to have tailenders gift him wickets like today. Nowhere is a graveyard for any bowler if they're bowling at tailenders.
I'm sure Warne has his fair share of tailenders in those 700+ wickets. Same for any spin bowler. I've not seen a tail ender yet who was as good at playing spin as he was pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure enough, Vaughan's detractors can moan at his lack of footwork again as Steyn gets that outswinger going.

Vaughan off the pair though, thank &%$£ for that.