• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yup, seems to be some truth in that. Almost as if the authorities are looking overseas for a great redeemer rather than their own backyard
I'm not so sure. I think Pattinson's selection was a clunker, but I don't think he's been selected because he's an Aussie, rather because he's the kind of swing bowler who pitches the ball up who've traditionally profited from Headingley's conditions.

In another thread Goughy has been an advocate of Jonathan Trott, whose accent is distinctly Seth Efrican, but his non-Englishness hasn't been deemed worthy of getting him a go in our ODI team.

In the case of Pattinson we've selected a "foreigner" who wasn't worthy, but we've also selected no-end of Englishmen who've been equally wanting at the highest level (Plunkett, Mahmood, Blackwell, Lewis et al), so I personally think players are generally selected on their merits (however disputable) rather than birthplace/accent.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not so sure. I think Pattinson's selection was a clunker, but I don't think he's been selected because he's an Aussie, rather because he's the kind of swing bowler who pitches the ball up who've traditionally profited from Headingley's conditions.

In another thread Goughy has been an advocate of Jonathan Trott, whose accent is distinctly Seth Efrican, but his non-Englishness hasn't been deemed worthy of getting him a go in our ODI team.

In the case of Pattinson we've selected a "foreigner" who wasn't worthy, but we've also selected no-end of Englishmen who've been equally wanting at the highest level (Plunkett, Mahmood, Blackwell, Lewis et al), so I personally think players are generally selected on their merits (however disputable) rather than birthplace/accent.
I actually liked what I saw of Plunkett in the CB series in Oz in 2007, I assume he lost form after that tournament

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed.
I actually liked what I saw of Plunkett in the CB series in Oz in 2007, I assume he lost form after that tournament
Plunkett is, along with Mahmood, the worst bowler to be picked for England in my time and probably had less case to be so than Pattinson has here.

And that's saying something.

Those 4 games at the end of the CBS were one of the biggest flukes ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whats wrong with that? Its a decent Yorkshire League team thats right next to Grimsby (where he is from) and one of the top few leagues in the country.
Assuming it was a reference to Pickup
Aye, that 'twas. Was amazed at the Pattinson-Pickup connection. Wonder if he was ever playing at the club at the same time as our very own Esteemed Ginger One was u12ing or something.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed

Plunkett is, along with Mahmood, the worst bowler to be picked for England in my time and probably had less case to be so than Pattinson has here.

Those 4 games at the end of the CBS were one of the biggest flukes ever.[/QUOTE]

Well, thats all I've ever seen of him, hense my impression

Flem274*

123/5
Wasn't Plunkett the guy who bowled like 10 wides in his first few overs or something in a CB series match against us? Or was that Mahmood?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You should ask where everyone's irrational love of a finger spinner that contributes very little comes from. At least Giles could bat and field whilst being a non-factor with the ball most of the time.

Neither of them deserved picking nearly as much as they have been.
It's very obvious, of course, where the love of MSP comes from - the masses adore his enthusiasm.

It's also very obvious why both MSP and Giles have been picked far more than they should be \ have been - the "you must have variation" nonsense. It's as pointless moaning about it as it is calling the selectors idiots.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Indeed.

Those 4 games at the end of the CBS were one of the biggest flukes ever.
dont be so harsh on Saj hes taken 28 first class wickets this season already

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I ws talking about Test and domestic cricket.

Its impossible not to notice the trends in selection and that foreign 'fashionable' players have to do far less in order to be selected whereas similarly standard English players are overlooked.

Of course there have been brilliant foreign players for England, however this isnt about the top performers rather than the poor players that get selected as 'foreign' translate to a bonus in selection.

Trott played for England in T20 so he has obviously been involved. There may just be something happening behind the scenes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, thats all I've ever seen of him, hense my impression
Helps to look further when forming an impression TBH. Plunkett never had any form, he should never have been close to being picked as I say, and he didn't even bowl particularly well in those games. Got gifted a few wickets (and once actually took some wickets, along with being smashed for 7-an-over in some of the most seam\swing-friendly conditions you'll ever see) but for most of the rest of his career he's been wretched.

Consider this - a few days ago, Plunkett had figures (in a First-Class game) of 4.1-44-0. And that wouldn't have done him an injustice - he really is capable of bowling that badly, not irregularly. I'm sometimes astonished that he ever made it to professional, never mind ODI and Test, level, so inept can he be.
Wasn't Plunkett the guy who bowled like 10 wides in his first few overs or something in a CB series match against us? Or was that Mahmood?
Could easily have been either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
dont be so harsh on Saj hes taken 28 first class wickets this season already
I know he has. Obviously I've only watched 1 of those games, but in that he bowled as woefully as he usually does and did not take so much as a single one of the 8(?) wickets in the game with good bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually I ws talking about Test and domestic cricket.

Its impossible not to notice the trends in selection and that foreign 'fashionable' players have to do far less in order to be selected whereas similarly standard English players are overlooked.

Of course there have been brilliant foreign players for England, however this isnt about the top performers rather than the poor players that get selected as 'foreign' translate to a bonus in selection.

Trott played for England in T20 so he has obviously been involved. There may just be something happening behind the scenes.
Before Pattinson none immediately spring to mind. Of the "foreigners" who've played of late we might include Ambrose, Prior (at a stretch), Trott, KP & Geraint. None outrageous picks, really. Geraint being recalled for the 06/07 Ashes was a disgraceful call, but I think that had more to do with Big Dunc not fancying Read than anything else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, 80% of the time, when a batsman plays a ******** shot and gets out, its because the bowler owned him.
Nah. Not a chance.

Any time someone hits a rank Long-Hop to a fielder, it's NEVER good bowling IN THE SLIGHTEST. It's pure good fortune for the bowler, he has done NOTHING to deserve the wicket.

It's annoying in the extreme to see people attempt to give credit to bowlers for poor bowling simply because the figures turned-out good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unusual. Ball hits the pad and is caught slip, appeal, no-one sure what for.

All's well that ends well - was no bat, was too high, n\o the decision.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Before Pattinson none immediately spring to mind. Of the "foreigners" who've played of late we might include Ambrose, Prior (at a stretch), Trott, KP & Geraint. None outrageous picks, really. Geraint being recalled for the 06/07 Ashes was a disgraceful call, but I think that had more to do with Big Dunc not fancying Read than anything else.
I look back as I meantioned all this far before Pattinson was relevant.