• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel vaguely humiliated, to be perfectly honest.

I really can't talk much about selection, because it would just be littered with ****, and ******.

I honestly believe Pattinsons pick as one of the most cretinous EVER. The other horses-for-courses picks at headingley have been to bring in solid county performers whose nous and experience will get them results. This was just folly.

Yet, despite all the poverty of the bowling let us not forget how horrendously our batsmen performed under pressure (Cook excluded), yet again. They got themselves all out, they're mentally weak to a man, even KP can be explicable.

Grrr:@

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it is now discovered that Pattinson was ineligible will the game be abandoned as a draw and Glamorgan play the saffies instead?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, **** me. Moores is actually holding an umbrella in the interview on Sky now, does he not read the papers? Short of tippexing his teeth the similarities with McClaren are uncanny. Nice man; out of his depth.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It might sound a bit too simplistic, but in helpful bowling conditions our batsman were found wanting, and in less help bowling conditions so were our bowlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway, cheer up folks. Here's what is going to happen. Fred and Anderson to take 6 wickets in the morning session, leaving us about 160 behind. We can then bat for 5 sessions, aim for 100 a session, leave them a day to chase 340. Easy peasy, 1-0 England as Pattinson runs through the Saffies in the 4th dig :ph34r:

TBF to Pattinson, he's not been our worst seamer today. Stuart Broad, I like you, you're a decent batsmen and a good OD bowler but you aren't ready to become a Test bowler, yet. Back to Notts for you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh, and I can't help but feel that Flintoff and Anderson deserved more reward, they both bowled well. Anderson really seems to be getting on top of his econ. rate these last few Tests, let's hope it's a new beginning. Normally if he'd bowled 28 overs for just 1 or 2 wickets he'd have gone for around 100

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, and I can't help but feel that Flintoff and Anderson deserved more reward, they both bowled well. Anderson really seems to be getting on top of his econ. rate these last few Tests, let's hope it's a new beginning. Normally if he'd bowled 28 overs for just 1 or 2 wickets he'd have gone for around 100
I'd go along with that. They haven't bowled much worse than South Africa did, they just batted horribly. Somehow they failed to notice the extremely back-to-basics "catch them behind the wicket mistiming a drive to the swinging ball" ploy. If they'd even stuck around a bit they'd have had good conditions to bat in that evening.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:

Every cloud and all that. Seriously, we've been a bit toothless, but Anderson has been much improved IMO. We all know he can be devastating when everything comes together, and disastrous when it doesn't, well today nothing really came together but he went at under 3 today, not too shabby

Whilst on the other hand, Broad must be in a competition with KP to see who can average 50 or more by the end of the series. Only difference is, we WANT KP to average 50

edit, in response to LT's straw post :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Can't help but feel sorry for this Pattinson fellow, a jobbing bowler who has just run in and taken some wickets by bowling well, got a random call-up, and suddenly seems to be a bit of a figure of hatred.. Especially irked at everyone having a go at him for his Aussie heritage.. England's best batsman being about as English as a Potjie kos op die strand.. Pretty much everyone in England who is young and can bowl a bit of legspin is of recent Asian extraction, and English cricket pretty much survives on foreign help.. A very nasty case of double standards from a lot of well respected pundits.. England's entire cricketing setup is tailor made for foreigners, so it's a shame that everyone comes crying when a mediocre one makes his way into the England team..

Anyway, time for me to start rating Ashwell.. Never liked him in the SA team, but that was because I wanted McKenzie in.. Now I have my wish it's time to enjoy a very quiet and down to earth batsman letting his results do the talking.. Good for him, and nice to see.. Hopefully the sun will shine tomorrow and England will get ground down even moreso..

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't help but feel sorry for this Pattinson fellow, a jobbing bowler who has just run in and taken some wickets by bowling well, got a random call-up, and suddenly seems to be a bit of a figure of hatred.. Especially irked at everyone having a go at him for his Aussie heritage.. England's best batsman being about as English as a Potjie kos op die strand.. Pretty much everyone in England who is young and can bowl a bit of legspin is of recent Asian extraction, and English cricket pretty much survives on foreign help.. A very nasty case of double standards from a lot of well respected pundits.. England's entire cricketing setup is tailor made for foreigners, so it's a shame that everyone comes crying when a mediocre one makes his way into the England team..

Anyway, time for me to start rating Ashwell.. Never liked him in the SA team, but that was because I wanted McKenzie in.. Now I have my wish it's time to enjoy a very quiet and down to earth batsman letting his results do the talking.. Good for him, and nice to see.. Hopefully the sun will shine tomorrow and England will get ground down even moreso..

tbh everything I've read regarding Pattinson is aimed at the selectors. I could have missed it, but I don't recall anything aimed at him personally. Where has anyone expressed any hate towards the guy himself?

As for Prince, obv I'm delighted to see him proving a number of folks very wrong, even if it against my lads. Two terrific tons in initally trying circumstances.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A very measured and focused knock from Prince.

He is really in his element. The situations have suited his game and against toothless attacks on good tracks. Still, it has to be done, its never easy and he deserves a lot of credit.

Despite never being a fan, Id remind that I wrote in this thread (check back if anyone wants) that he would do very well 2nd innings in the 1st Test.

FBU

International Debutant
Aye, I wonder how many he has bowled in his career?
Flintoff 317 no balls (68 Tests)
Hoggard 214 (67)
Harmison 119 (57)
Anderson 7 (27)
Jones 43 (18)
Sidebottom 7 (17)
Plunkett 28 (9)
Mahmood 6 (8)

That's 53 extra overs Flintoff has had to bowl because of his no balls.

Chubb

International Regular

Agnew said that the difference was that Pattinson, unlike Pietersen and Ambrose (using as examples two men who came to England by their own choice rather than because their parents moved here, like Strauss and Prior), had no intention of making a life in England- he simply used his passport to come and play some county cricket. I think that is a fair distinction.

Personally, I don't passionately care if England want to select Pattinson, and my objection to it is not based on his background but on the fact that he is not a proven performer at all, and it harks back to the old pull-em-out-of-the-hat selections I remember from my childhood, like Simon Brown. If he'd played several seasons of cricket in England and had good results, I could understand, but Tremlett did little wrong during his spell in the side and should have been the one to come in for Sidebottom- he'd probably have done better on this pitch.