• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pick the top 3 Indian test batsmen

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a stupid logic. Sehwag has wonmatches against teams like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc. Laxman wonthematches against Austrlia.
Matches played by Sehwag vs. Bangladesh: 2. 23 runs at an average of 11.5.
Matches played by Sehwag vs. Australia: 11. 1132 runs at an average of 53.9.

Dig yourself out of that hole.

Matches played by Sehwag vs. Bangladesh: 2. 23 runs at an average of 11.5.
Matches played by Sehwag vs. Australia: 11. 1132 runs at an average of 53.9.

Dig yourself out of that hole.
How many matches Sehwag won against Australia? What was average of Laxman against Australia and how many matches he won against Australia?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, it's just generally accepted to be much harder to open the vast majority of the time. You have to face the new ball, the brunt of the opposition attack, and often any initial demons in the pitch.
And You can take new balls more than once in an inning. Good middle order batsmen face as many new balls as good openers do. If Openers face the early demons of the pitch, middle order batsmen face the late daemons. Not to forget the fact the Middle order batsman have an additional pressure of batting with lower order batsmen, protecting them and at the same time doing the bulk scoring, which Lax has done quite admirably.

Obviously not always true, i wouldn't try to say it is. Perhaps not true as often in India as in other places. But it's definitely true often enough to say that over their respective careers, Sehwag had the more difficult job the majority of the time.
If you want to pass it as your opinion, fine and I respect that. But I dont think it is a fact. In my opinion Laxman's role and position in Indian batting lineup has been one of the toughest and most important.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And You can take new balls more than once in an inning. Good middle order batsmen face as many new balls as good openers do. If Openers face the early demons of the pitch, middle order batsmen face the late daemons. Not to forget the fact the Middle order batsman have an additional pressure of batting with lower order batsmen, protecting them and at the same time doing the bulk scoring, which Lax has done quite admirably.

If you want to pass it as your opinion, fine and I respect that. But I dont think it is a fact. In my opinion Laxman's role and position in Indian batting lineup has been one of the toughest and most important.
Laxman's certainly achieved more. Probably the better batsman, but i prefer Sehwag.

When middle order batsman face a new ball they've usually had time to get their eye in first. The attack has been going for 80 overs already and isn't of the same intensity as for the first few overs.

I can't present it as fact, obviously, but i invite you to try opening and then batting down the order at any level of cricket, and compare the two. More than likely you'll find 1 and 2 to be harder places to bat than 4, 5 and 6.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
When middle order batsman face a new ball they've usually had time to get their eye in first. The attack has been going for 80 overs already and isn't of the same intensity as for the first few overs.
Their eyes are set on the old ball, not the new one. Infact it is as hard(if not harder) to be facing a new ball when you have been in the middle for a while and tired. It is a test match and we can not assume the intensity is not same after first few overs, what about next morning, next afternoon, what about the spinners with old ball.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
To stop you stats-mungers torturing yourselves with decimal points I'm just going to pick the three with best technique, not necessarily the most productive or best friends of the StatsGuru, just the best technique.

Tendulkar
Gavaskar
Viswanath

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
To stop you stats-mungers torturing yourselves with decimal points I'm just going to pick the three with best technique, not necessarily the most productive or best friends of the StatsGuru, just the best technique.

Tendulkar
Gavaskar
Viswanath
From when not being bothered by stats is equivalent to not knowing what the thread is about?...The thread is about current Indian test batsmen, not of Indian batsmen from Rajitsinghji to Rohit Sharma...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
From when not being bothered by stats is equivalent to not knowing what the thread is about?...The thread is about current Indian test batsmen, not of Indian batsmen from Rajitsinghji to Rohit Sharma...
I admit I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread much beyond the title as it was as usual overwhelmed by the pocket calculator brigade.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. The difference in those numbers is negligible
2. Number 5 and 6 batsmen usually aren't as good as those batting in the top 4.

Forget the stats, watch or play some cricket. The vast majority of the time, the openers have a harder job against the pick of the opposition bowlers, at their freshest, with a shiny, hard new ball at their disposal.

What's the argument for it being harder to bat down the order anyway?
Answer to 1:- Yes, that's what I have been saying from the last few posts; the difference is neglegible.
Answer to 2:- Number 5 and 6 batsmen are generally worse than number 3 or 4 batsmen most of the times...But not necessarily worse than the openers...

First of all, if you know what you're replying to then you would know I never claimed batting down the order is harder than batting as openers...What I said was opening isn't harder than batting down the order...

If you don't believe in stats, Sanz has already provided most of the arguments...I will only add some points to that. If opening batsmen take some time to set their eyes against the new ball, opening bowlers also take some time to be in correct rhythm and pace...Also, it's easier to score quickly off the shining ball...

And it depends on personal preferences...If you ask Gavaskar in which position he'll love batting most he'll tell you opening. If you ask V. Richards, he'll tell you at 3 or 4 (or, maybe 5)...

By the way, yes I watch and play cricket and personally I love to open the batting more than playing in the middle-order...Again, that's because of my personal choice, not because opening is easier or something...

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I admit I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread much beyond the title as it was as usual overwhelmed by the pocket calculator brigade.
Come on, you know I wasn't talking about reading the whole thread...You know what I was talking about....Reading the first post of the thread-starter which is always an integral part of the thread idea...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, you know I wasn't talking about reading the whole thread...You know what I was talking about....Reading the first post of the thread-starter which is always an integral part of the thread idea...

I've already admitted my error in not doing so.