• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BBC seem to think that Ambrose batting at six is unlikely, as is Broad (didn't know anyone had actually seriously suggested it).

Looks like Sidebottom may miss out, which means Flintoff's return would be a little neutralised, if he doesn't fire with the bat, anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Sidebottom misses-out, Tremlett (who appears to have bowled reasonably accurately without offering great penetration so far this season) will apparently play.

And BTW, Sidebottom's back problems are being potentially blamed on poor-quality hotel beds. :wacko: If so, that'd be a serious WTF? case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I read that if Sidebottom misses out, Flintoff replaces him, and that Tremlett is just in the squad for cover :unsure:

From the link I posted before
"Sidey's stiff right now. His back is key to what XI we will play," he said.

If Sidebottom, who Vaughan said had been "a revelation" for England in the past year, is unable to take his place, then he will be the player Flintoff replaces in the side.

If Sidebottom is passed fit, however, Flintoff is set to come in for one of the other bowlers in the side that drew the first Test at Lord's.

Paul Collingwood's place seems secure, because if he was to be dropped, it would mean Tim Ambrose or Stuart Broad batting at six - a most unlikely prospect.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks to me like Broad will be the man to miss out. Very surprised it wasn't Collingwood, on current form Broad is just as likely to make runs and could contribute with the ball if Flintoff wasn't up to bowling long spells. I guess it's a long-term move though, and if so it's a good one.

Marius

International Debutant
So if McKenzie's not fit, Duminy to open, or push AB de Villiers up the order (he's opened before) and stick Duminy in at 6?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So if McKenzie's not fit, Duminy to open, or push AB de Villiers up the order (he's opened before) and stick Duminy in at 6?
Should be the latter, imagine it'll be the former.

As I said - seems SA will go to any length, will manufacture an unlimited number of middle-order batsmen into openers, just to ensure that the opener de Villiers doesn't open in Tests again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, beat me to that exact link by about half a second - was just going to post
No indication of whether it'll be Collingwood, Flintoff, Ambrose or Ambrose, Flintoff, Broad. O0O0O0O0O0O0h, the suspense is terrible.

At least we know he's going to play though, which is one thing off the agenda.
Never in doubt, was it? Not that Leeds is his happiest hunting ground, but there would be zero point in having him carry the drinks.

It would be a shame if SB missed out - you'd fancy him to do well at Headingley, even if it isn't the seamers' paradise of old. But there's no point in him playing if unfit. If he doesn't play, Tremlett being called up raises the possibility of him leapfrogging Broad once again having not been in the original squad. It strikes me as madness not to call up Hoggard as a RH version of SB on his home ground, but I'm getting used to that from Moores. If SB does miss out, we're looking short of seamers who look likely to take lots of wickets. Lets all pray that Jimmy has a good game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The Nottinghamshire seamer, Darren Pattinson, has been drafted into the England squad ahead of the second Test against South Africa at Headingley, after James Anderson reported a stiff back during training... [Cricinfo]

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn these hotel beds but Darren Pattinson?! Sure, an impressive start to his FC career but he has a whole 11 games under his belt. Harmison, Simon Jones, Kabir Ali - all better more proven options.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Nottinghamshire seamer, Darren Pattinson, has been drafted into the England squad ahead of the second Test against South Africa at Headingley, after James Anderson reported a stiff back during training... [Cricinfo]
Baffling. Utterly baffling.

It's unusual enough to get someone going from grade cricketer to Test squad-member within 5 months - it's probably near enough unheard-of to get someone going from grade cricketer to England Test squad-member within 5 months.

How TF has he leapfrogged Hoggard? That's 100% ridiculous. I'm certainly willing to believe he might be a decent bowler, he's performed more than acceptably in his half-season over here so far.

But that's all it is. Half a season. I'm presuming he has played cricket over here before this year - what will the highest level have been?

And surely now he's not going to go and play for Victoria again?