• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pick the top 3 Indian test batsmen

ret

International Debutant
pick the 3 best test bastmen from the following: Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman

my list

Tendulkar - 80 runs per test .... 49 runs per inning .... average 55
Dravid - 83 runs per test .... 48 runs per inning .... average 55
Sehwag - 84 runs per test .... 50 runs per inning .... average 52

whats interesting is that someone like Sehwag and Dravid are poles apart in the way they bat with Tendulkar, probably, like a balance between the two

the other two

Ganguly - 64 runs per test .... 39 runs per inning .... average 43
Laxman - 62 runs per test .... 38 runs per inning .... average 44

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
From their achievements till now(not on form), for me
1. Tendulkar
2. Dravid
3. Laxman
The list may change very soon (Definitely not the first 2 positions though)...But till now this is the list as test batsmanship is considered....
Note that this is my opinion and anyone is free to disagree based on his/her opinion...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
On Current Form -

1. Tendulkar
2. Ganguly
3. Sehwag
4. Dravid
5. Laxman
6. WicketKeeper
7. The Other Opener

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman's been in better form than Dravid recently Sanz, hasn't he? Unless there's been some domestic resurgence from Dravid I haven't read about.

Laxman's definitely scored more in recent tests.

Dravid's obviously the better batsman, just wondering regarding this point.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
@Jono - Looking at their stats now, You are right about that. for some reason I thought Dravid had recovered somewhat from his slump and did well against the SA. Which he did, he was bit unlucky too in the SA series.

But If we looked at last season, Laxman clearly outperformed him.

ret

International Debutant
in 53 tests that Laxman and Sehwag have played together

Laxman - 3141 runs, 7 100s, avg 43 .... 59 runs per test, 39 runs per inning
Sehwag - 4563 runs, 14 100s, avg 52 .... 86 runs per test [Sobers like], 51 runs per inning

for me Sehwag is one of the all-time greats, along with Gavaskar, Tendulkar and Dravid

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
for me Sehwag is one of the all-time greats, along with Gavaskar, Tendulkar and Dravid
There is a Big Queue of players wanting to shine Gavaskar's, SRT's and Dravid's Boots - Sehwag is in the queue, waiting for his turn.

pick the 3 best test bastmen from the following: Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman

my list

Tendulkar - 80 runs per test .... 49 runs per inning .... average 55
Dravid - 83 runs per test .... 48 runs per inning .... average 55
Sehwag - 84 runs per test .... 50 runs per inning .... average 52

whats interesting is that someone like Sehwag and Dravid are poles apart in the way they bat with Tendulkar, probably, like a balance between the two

the other two

Ganguly - 64 runs per test .... 39 runs per inning .... average 43
Laxman - 62 runs per test .... 38 runs per inning .... average 44

Ver simple reply.

1- Tendulkar
2- Dravid
3- Laxman.

I would like to see the record of Sehwag in Australia, England, New Zealand, West Indies and South Africa. I assume that his high test average is due to his extra ordinary scores on the flat, dead tracks of sub continent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That was one of the worst uses of the rolleyes smilie ever.

Refute his point if you like, but don't roll your eyes to what was a very valid statement.

To call Sehwag an all-time great already, even if just for India, is too soon. He's close to being an all-time great Indian opening batsman, but that doesn't mean much. For him to be an all-time great Indian test batsman he needs to do more, and he has it in him, that' for sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ver simple reply.

1- Tendulkar
2- Dravid
3- Laxman.

I would like to see the record of Sehwag in Australia, England, New Zealand, West Indies and South Africa. I assume that his high test average is due to his extra ordinary scores on the flat, dead tracks of sub continent.
**** me this is the perfect example of where people assume Australian pitches are land mines and tough to bat on just because they're in Australia. They've been flat as a pancake for how long now?

What about Lords and The Oval? FLAT FLAT FLAT

I'm not saying you're wrong about Sehwag and flat pitches, but this is the ignorance that pisses me off when people judge batsman on the sub-continent.

Btw, Sehwag's record IN Australia is sublime.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
**** me this is the perfect example of where people assume Australian pitches are land mines and tough to bat on just because they're in Australia. They've been flat as a pancake for how long now?

What about Lords and The Oval? FLAT FLAT FLAT

I'm not saying you're wrong about Sehwag and flat pitches, but this is the ignorance that pisses me off when people judge batsman on the sub-continent.

Btw, Sehwag's record IN Australia is sublime.
Indeed. Australia are flat and can be easier for the best batsmen because the ball comes onto the bat and flies off it.

ret

International Debutant
That was one of the worst uses of the rolleyes smilie ever.

Refute his point if you like, but don't roll your eyes to what was a very valid statement.

To call Sehwag an all-time great already, even if just for India, is too soon. He's close to being an all-time great Indian opening batsman, but that doesn't mean much. For him to be an all-time great Indian test batsman he needs to do more, and he has it in him, that' for sure.
dude, i don't like unwanted advice as to how i should be using my emoticons .... if you want an explanation then ask for it, if it isn't that obvious

the original post has the stats .... someone scoring 80 or more runs per tests[if someone knows what that means then thats an explanation in itself, period] for 50 or more tests is right up there in my book

Sehwag definitely is in that league, where does he stand amongst the four greats is a different issue though

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ret reminds me of my early days on internet forums, except that I made a lot more sense even as an inexperienced lad. I still show glimpses of those days once in a while, though.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
ganguly
tendulkar
laxman

followed by: Sehwag, Dravid

Ganguly has been in the best form of the Indian batsmen over the past year or so, followed by the class of Tendulkar and Laxman. Sehwag is starting to regain his blistering touch, and Dravid is here on class alone.

Ganguly gets no love from too many people when he has clearly been one of India's best batsmen of recent times!