• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Why isn't Simon Jones in the squad? What are they waiting for exactly?
Well he has to wait his turn. Which is only right. I know many posters would want both Jones and Flintoff in but lets get one at a time in the team first. To go into a Test with question marks over both Jones and Flintoffs fitness might be a bit risky.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Don't agree with England recalling Flintoff.. I think, and hope, that he'll be a shadow of his former self, and will probably self destruct after a few days in the field.. Probably hugely wrong though, the guy has resolve..

Dissector

International Debutant
Quite a remarkable test in its own way. After day 3 I would have given SA about a 10% chance of getting the draw (barring serious rain). They managed to do it without even breaking a sweat.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well he has to wait his turn. Which is only right. I know many posters would want both Jones and Flintoff in but lets get one at a time in the team first. To go into a Test with question marks over both Jones and Flintoffs fitness might be a bit risky.
Jones has been back playing longer than Flintoff. So Jones should be ahead of Flintoff.

Sidebottom looked pretty poor in this Test, hopefully it was just down to his back being a bit stiff.
He is good on the wickets where there is a little bit support for the fast bowlers. A bowler with his pace can't do anything on flat pitches like that. He is not an express blowler and relies of the movement off the wicket.

Test cricket is already losing its popularity due to the shorter versions of the game. People who decided to make such wicket for a test match must be sacked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if you realize something is wrong after you've said it?
I don't consider that to be the case here though. There's nothing that can have changed in the meantime. Therefore it's quite annoying to be told "face it" when there's nothing to face.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He is good on the wickets where there is a little bit support for the fast bowlers. A bowler with his pace can't do anything on flat pitches like that. He is not an express blowler and relies of the movement off the wicket.
Not really, he's quite capable of moving it through the air.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't consider that to be the case here though. There's nothing that can have changed in the meantime. Therefore it's quite annoying to be told "face it" when there's nothing to face.
Other than the fact that you were advocating using up ANOTHER 40 overs in useless batting time

England took 3 wickets

How many would they have taken in 40 LESS overs?

I know you hate admitting it but you were wrong

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah disagree, in fact the poor weather has helped in those matches, put some juice into the pitch which meant a result was even remotely possible.
It didn't, actually. Apart from the fact that you need an obscene amount of rain to juice-up the pitch during the course of the game (only time that really happened in the last 3 years was 2007 against India), the point is not that rain deprived us of a result but that lost time did. An uninterrupted Test in this country is a rare thing - usually to get a full game in you'd need to make-up lost time. And had that been do-able, there'd have been results in the games I said there'd have been results in.

In 2006, too, of course, it was more England dropping catches than anything. You'll never have a hope of winning a Test if you drop as many catches as England did that Test, and anyone who blamed the lack of victory there on anything other than that (as several did on several things) didn't have a clue what they were on about.
It's just too slow, it's not conducive for pace-bowling, spin-bowling, stroke-play or any form of cricket. I'm not saying this because we drew once it got lifeless, I thought it was terrible at nullifying the potentially exciting South African attack.
It's not really terribly difficult to note that most Lord's wickets in recent times that have borne little resemblence to this one. This has been far slower than most recent ones, and not surprising either given the extremely hampered preparation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Other than the fact that you were advocating using up ANOTHER 40 overs in useless batting time

England took 3 wickets

How many would they have taken in 40 LESS overs?

I know you hate admitting it but you were wrong
No, I wasn't, because I didn't say they WOULD have won had they batted again. They may or they may not have done. As enforcing the follow-on didn't work, we can only guess what might have happened under different circumstances. And no, there is no would or would not have - you don't know what would have happened, I don't know what would have happened, nor does anyone else.