• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
By arguing against me that is what you are saying. Are you saying you would rather that difference in prelims than the 11 runs difference on average in the finals?
I wouldn't select players on the basis of Stats alone. I just couldn't care less about their stats. The only reasons I am talking about the stats over here is because of your distortions of statistics to suit your argument so that you present him as the greates ever.

Desired? No, Logical filter. One has played minnows where the other hasn't. if 1.62 runs is massive, then 11 runs is [enter word 10x more effective than massive]
Yes Desired. If you were unbiased, I would have taken your word on 'Logical' but you are not unbiased on any discussion related to Warne hence I do not accept your 'logical' filter.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I am not comparing Aravinda to Tendulkar/Ponting. I comparing him to Warne as ab ODI player. You make it sound like Aravinda was just another average player in comparison to Warne, whereas the facts state otherwise.
Ok, compare him as a ODI. As a batsmen, is he closer to his peers than Warne is as a bowler? Not really.

But even that's digression because Migara stated that Aravinda must be the greatest cricketer ever for his performance in the final. Trying to make it seem as I am basing Warne's entire career on just one final. That's the point, in order to make Aravinda great like that you have to ignore his career record which is not even average according to you (who said Gilchrist's 37 is just average, whereas Aravinda averages 35 and strikes much slower too). Whereas with Warne his record is still amongst the better bowlers of ODI cricket.

Aravinda Despite playing for one of the weaker teams and playing 1/3rd of his matches in a totally different era, ended up among the top run getters of all time.
Great player, SL legend...but not likely to get into an all-time XI.

That's your opinion and one with a heavy bias. Warne isn't one of the great all time ODI bowlers, he gets included as one because of his success in the Test Cricket. He was just one of the Good ODI bowlers, but not in the class of Joel Garner, Wasim Akram, WaqarYounis, Shane Bond, Saqlain Mushtaq, Brett Lee, Akhtar, Mcgrath etc. Nowhere Close.

Note this - Ajit Agarkar has similar no. of ODI wickets as Warne.
Yes, it is my opinion and I am biased (as we all are) but a great factual and reasonable argument can be made to make Warne the best ODI bowler as well. Wasim Akram who, really for reasons of longevity, is one of the premier bowlers is only 2 average points superior as well a slightly better economy.

To say Warne was merely "Good" and to mention Ajit Agarkar having the same amount of wickets implying they are the same...shows you are the biased one here letting your bias effect your opinion too much.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone claiming Zimbabwe are a ODI-standard team in 2008 needs to tread very carefully when trying to denigrate someone else's credibility. :laugh:
Thankfully no one is saying that because Warne stopped playing ODI much earlier. Warne doesn't play Zimbabwe in ODI post 2001. You wouldn't think this needs mentioning.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't select players on the basis of Stats alone. I just couldn't care less about their stats. The only reasons I am talking about the stats over here is because of your distortions of statistics to suit your argument so that you present him as the greates ever.
No one is arguing on stats alone. I don't have to with Warne. I can point to his AMAZING performances in the semis...especially against S.Africa where he made the best side of the day look clueless and totally reversed the match in his team's favour. But for those that are arguing 1.62 runs means something (i.e. you) I am giving you your own medicine back at you. Now if 1-2 runs is not negligible, then what is 11 runs difference? If you are intent on arguing based on that, then you should also consider the second difference. I, however, just say they were equally good in prelims but Warne excelled much more in all finals, including the grand final. This is a much bigger argument than merely stats. It's to show what a big game player Warne was. When even a giant like Australia was grovelling it needed someone like Warne to carry that giant over the line.

Yes Desired. If you were unbiased, I would have taken your word on 'Logical' but you are not unbiased on any discussion related to Warne hence I do not accept your 'logical' filter.
Show me something I said that was biased and affected the logic I am bringing forth. Show me where I have had inconsistencies. These are just red-herrings that show you have very little shame.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thankfully no one is saying that because Warne stopped playing ODI much earlier. Warne doesn't play Zimbabwe in ODI post 2001. You wouldn't think this needs mentioning.
No, Warne didn't play Zimbabwe post-2001. You just have some bizarre inability to use the basic grammatical importance called "past tense" and speak of near enough everything in present tense, even if it happened 100 years ago. So hence when you say "Zimbabwe is a ODI-standard team" you mean they are in 2008 (regardless of what you're trying to mean), which is a laughable claim.

funnygirl

State Regular
So Sanz you are saying statistics is the only thing .That opinion doesn't match with ur signature since it is showing that u r basically ridiculing swervy's opinion.

PS : Mcgrath has better stats than Wasim ,still u said Wasim is better ,based on what ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, Warne didn't play Zimbabwe post-2001. You just have some bizarre inability to use the basic grammatical importance called "past tense" and speak of near enough everything in present tense, even if it happened 100 years ago. So hence when you say "Zimbabwe is a ODI-standard team" you mean they are in 2008 (regardless of what you're trying to mean), which is a laughable claim.
I should have said "was" to clear the confusion, my mistake. But I was talking within the context of Warne's career which is really what I meant when I was saying "is". I should have written "in the period where Warne played them, Zimbabwe is a ODI standard side". Or is that a mistake too? :confused:

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So Sanz you are saying statistics is the only thing .That opinion doesn't match with ur signature since it is showing that u r basically ridiculing swervy's opinion.

PS : Mcgrath has better stats than Wasim ,still u said Wasim is better ,based on what ?
Hallelujah. Someone else has actually been paying attention to what is being written. You are basically asking the same question I have been repeatedly asking.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cop out, again. Statistics can/should never be the only measure. Hence my "they only qualify you for a certain class but beyond that it is subjective" assessment.
No, They do not. Stats alone do not qualify you for 'Certain Class' . For Example - Take the case of Subhash Gupte, If we depended on Stats alone he would be one of the worst spinners to play for India, yet he is considered as one of India's finest and there are many who will pick him as the best.

That's the problem YOU are the one trying to make it about statistics. YOU are the one in the other thread who said 1 ball and 1 run define superiority. Therefore YOU can preach to yourself. I am the one saying such differences are negligible whether they are for or against the player I happen to rate.
They do, if you are dependent on Stats alone to compare two players. In the other thread you brought up stats to show how Ponting was as good as or comparable to Tendulkar. I showed, Statistically Tendulkar was ahead in most categories, 1 run or 1000 runs dont matter. If you are going to be pedantic about Stats, distort it, then so be it, I going to show it at your face every time you distort it.

So? Stats are just numerical facts - fact that they exist within themself. They can never be used as a fact in this way: i.e. player A averages 0.5 runs more than player B. Unless every single variable is the same bar player A averaging 0.5 runs more than player B so he is better. That stance is non-sense. This is my objection and this is what you seem to advocate.
Why is it nonsense ? Because it doesn't make Warne better ? Your objection seem to arise when you are losing the statistics argument. If you were winning this argument, you would be quoting it until the other guy left the debate. So, here I give you, a taste of your own medicine.

As I said in the other thread, if such a thing is true, then don't be a hypocrite and keep talking Wasim Akram up to Imran Khan because by your own measure Imran Khan is better than Wasim Akram.
Duh,

Statistically Imran is better, but do I think he is better than Wasim - NO
Statisticall Murali is better, but do I think he is better than Warne - NO

Where is the inconsistency ?

Show me where I distorted statistics. Thanks. As I said "trash talking is no art". Show it. If I am distorting statistics I am the kind of person who is not going to do it intentionally. Show it to me so I can rectify my analysis. If you can't, then apology would do.
Read the whole thread, Taking a country out of stats at one instance, not taking it out in another. Picking Grand Finals in one instance, Picking ALL Finals in another.

Read this thread and find it out for yourself - It is pretty evident.

I am biased, everybody is biased. What is your point?
Speak for yourself. I am not biased. I dont even consider Murali as my favorite bowler, the only reason I am in this debate is because of your inconsistency.

Do I ever argue that Damian Fleming is better than Allan Donald? No. If I am biased towards my countrymen it's in comparisons where there is no clear-cut "better player". Again, show me where I've made the "Kapil V Lillee" kind of biased argument. If you can, I will rectify it. If you can't, an apology would do.
You are biased in Warne's favor, Whether it is a nationalistic bias or not is none of my concern. Kapil Vs. Lillee was an example not an accusation towards you. Learn to read.

Show me where I have done so. You know why you can't? Because if my intention is to make Warne look good I don't need to move the goal posts anyway...he is better in all finals AND the grand final.
If your intention isn't to make Warne look good, then why post so much of BS stats, which are mere distortions of facts based on your illogical assumptions.

Ta-DA! THIS alone shows you cannot READ to save your life. The post you quote is talking about TESTS, not ODIS!.] Yes, Zimbabwe is a minnow in the Test arena, but not the ODI arena. Very easy and simple to grasp...if you can read.
Test Arena Vs. ODI Arena ? What nonsense is that ?

They are not world Class in tests - because it doesn't help Warne's figures.
They are world class in ODIs - Becauuse they help Warne's figures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I should have said "was" to clear the confusion, my mistake. But I was talking within the context of Warne's career which is really what I meant when I was saying "is". I should have written "in the period where Warne played them, Zimbabwe is a ODI standard side". Or is that a mistake too? :confused:
No, you should have written "in the period where Warne played them, Zimbabwe was a ODI standard side". And you should do similar in everything which happened, rather than is happening.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kazo and I both on agreement on one thing - Warne is the greatest. What we differ is Kazo tries to prove that statistically, whereas I show that It is not statistically true.

The only reason I am showing stats here is because that's all Kazo argues, all his arguments, discussions boil down to statistics . It has gone for too long and I just couldn't take his BS anymore. I am just showing him how he is wrong statistically.

Otherwise I couldn't care less about statistics. It should be pretty obvious to anyone who knows my stand on Statistics and its relevance.

Because I couldn't care less about Stats.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Kazo and I both on agreement on one thing - Warne is the greatest. What we differ is Kazo tries to prove that statistically, whereas I show that It is not statistically true.

The only reason I am showing stats here is because that's all Kazo argues, all his arguments, discussions boil down to statistics . It has gone for too long and I just couldn't take his BS anymore. I am just showing him how he is wrong statistically.

Otherwise I couldn't care less about statistics. It should be pretty obvious to anyone who knows my stand on Statistics and its relevance.

Because I couldn't care less about Stats.
You should look at who I am constantly arguing with: Richard, Migara and sometimes SS.

I don't need to use stats but they are useful and if you are trying to generalise a point if the stats don't back it up then you do look foolish.

When someone is trying to standardise all the data and cut here and paste there what do you want me to do? Rave about how Warne's drift made a fool out of batsmen? That he didn't just take those 4 wickets against S.Africa, but he did it one after another for nary a run to tip the match on it's head.

Yeah, I do remember a lot of matches but some people just won't appreciate what I am talking about unless it is categorically proven statistically to them.

Anyway, I am not going to rant on with you because a) you keep calling my inconsistencies but won't mention where they are; b) you essentially agree with but for your misunderstanding; and c) we've done this dance to death.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, compare him as a ODI. As a batsmen, is he closer to his peers than Warne is as a bowler? Not really.
Who were his peers ? Inzi, Sanath, Tendulkar, Waugh (both). Actually no-one. He started his career in 1984 and played until 2004, 20 years. So how do you want to compare him, statistically or by any other means. Please specify.

But even that's digression because Migara stated that Aravinda must be the greatest cricketer ever for his performance in the final. Trying to make it seem as I am basing Warne's entire career on just one final.
But that's what you do, ignore eveything else and talk about Grand Finals of World cup until the other person gives up. Migara just picked you apart this time on this logic.

That's the point, in order to make Aravinda great like that you have to ignore his career record which is not even average according to you (who said Gilchrist's 37 is just average, whereas Aravinda averages 35 and strikes much slower too). Whereas with Warne his record is still amongst the better bowlers of ODI cricket.
That's what I have been saying - Stats are the only way you know to measure the quality of a batsman. And no Warne's record isn't amongst the better bowlers of ODI cricket. Check your facts.

Great player, SL legend...but not likely to get into an all-time XI.
Neither does Warne.

Yes, it is my opinion and I am biased (as we all are) but a great factual and reasonable argument can be made to make Warne the best ODI bowler as well. Wasim Akram who, really for reasons of longevity, is one of the premier bowlers is only 2 average points superior as well a slightly better economy.
That's the typical BS you come up with, Murali gets more wickets because he bowls more, Wasim has more wickets because he bowled more and blah blah. You talk of 'Only 2' as if it is that easy to achieve that only 2.

To say Warne was merely "Good" and to mention Ajit Agarkar having the same amount of wickets implying they are the same...shows you are the biased one here letting your bias effect your opinion too much.
The difference between Wasim-Warne's average is same as the difference between Warne-Agarkar average. I am not implying that they are same, I am implying that stats alone are not suffice to determine the value/greatness of a player, because if we depended on stats alone, there isn't much difference in Agarkar and Warne.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, you should have written "in the period where Warne played them, Zimbabwe was a ODI standard side". And you should do similar in everything which happened, rather than is happening.
It's past midnight, I'll try to remember when I am ranting.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'll answer some of this because you are trying to point out something here.

But that's what you do, ignore eveything else and talk about Grand Finals of World cup until the other person gives up. Migara just picked you apart this time on this logic.
Er, no I didn't do that. Show me where I ignore everything else. Thanks. How many times did I go "overall, they are close, but this sets them apart". I am frankly getting tired of repeating it.

That's what I have been saying - Stats are the only way you know to measure the quality of a batsman. And no Warne's record isn't amongst the better bowlers of ODI cricket. Check your facts.
Huh? No, you were the one who said Gilchrist's 37 average is just 'average'. I said it was very impressive in the context of how he would go about getting those runs (i.e. dismantling the bowling line-ups and creating time for his teammates). The only reason I got into the difference between them was for your doodling on 1 run and 1 ball.

That's the typical BS you come up with, Murali gets more wickets because he bowls more, Wasim has more wickets because he bowled more and blah blah. You talk of 'Only 2' as if it is that easy to achieve that only 2.
I am not saying it is easy. But they are not like-bowlers. One is a spinner, the other is a fast-bowler for example. One opens, the other doesn't. There are these kinds of factors that make 2 runs difference negligible. The only stat related argument I bring is that Warne's career record overall is in the circumference of the greats but where he excelled was when the pressure was on and there is no higher pressure cooker than WC finals - the ones that Warne was involved in. :)

The difference between Wasim-Warne's average is same as the difference between Warne-Agarkar average. I am not implying that they are same, I am implying that stats alone are not suffice to determine the value/greatness of a player, because if we depended on stats alone, there isn't much difference in Agarkar and Warne.
But you're wrong. What has Wasim achieved that Warne didn't? That is the point. The point isn't that they are 2 runs apart. The point is if you are going to argue that 2 runs makes the difference between 2 players then you are fooling yourself. So you can't compare Agarkar with Warne because whether he is a further 2 runs off the pace is irrelevant because he has not achieved or done the same things as Warne.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The only stat related argument I bring is that Warne's career record overall is in the circumference of the greats but where he excelled was when the pressure was on and there is no higher pressure cooker than WC finals - the ones that Warne was involved in.
I dont understand how you can use that argument in Warne's favour because he failed in one of the two situations you point. His success rate is 50 % and failure rate is 50 %.

You look at the stats at face value i.e. :- 19-1-91-4 (avg. 22.75)

Which is really an incorrect representation of Warne's performance in WC Final overall, the real truth is he miserably failed once and had great success in the other. Hardly the case you are trying to make (refer to the colored part)

Also you kinda suggest that his WC finals record is much better than his record in prelims - 22.75 Vs. 23.11 ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
But you're wrong. What has Wasim achieved that Warne didn't? That is the point. The point isn't that they are 2 runs apart. The point is if you are going to argue that 2 runs makes the difference between 2 players then you are fooling yourself. So you can't compare Agarkar with Warne because whether he is a further 2 runs off the pace is irrelevant because he has not achieved or done the same things as Warne.
There goes your double standards - The 2 run diff. in Wasim and Warne doesn't mean much, but it means a lot in case of Warne-Agarkar.

Agarkar has more fifers than Warne in less matches, better SR than Warne. That he dodn't achieve more doesn;t matter here because he was playing for a weaker team. Warne wouldn't have achieved much If he had played for England.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I dont understand how you can use that argument in Warne's favour because he failed in one of the two situations you point. His success rate is 50 % and failure rate is 50 %.

You look at the stats at face value i.e. :- 19-1-91-4 (avg. 22.75)

Which is really an incorrect representation of Warne's performance in WC Final overall, the real truth is he miserably failed once and had great success in the other. Hardly the case you are trying to make (refer to the colored part)
Whether one played well in 1/2 or 1/3 is not a problem for what I am arguing. The number of innings played in a WC grand final are too small to get a definitive answer as to how who would perform - this is one of the reasons why despite Ponting's finals record I still hold Tendulkar ahead.

However, having said that, when a player like Warne has shown his worth in so many instances, including a final, I find that a greater quality than the difference between their averages. This is my argument for Warne's superiority.

As you said before, Aravinda played 1/1 finals superbly. But does that mean he will always do it? No. But the distinction should be made that he has dealt with that pressure and he was a success. If I were going to compare him to a like-batsman that didn't have this distinction then I would say Aravinda is superior to said batsman.

Also you kinda suggest that his WC finals record is much better than his record in prelims - 22.75 Vs. 23.11 ?
It depends which post you are quoting. His record in all WC finals is much better than his prelims record. Even if it was the same, would that be bad? The difference is that it is essentially harder to get the same figure in a final than the prelims because a) you are facing inferior opposition and/or b) you aren't under as much pressure.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There goes your double standards - The 2 run diff. in Wasim and Warne doesn't mean much, but it means a lot in case of Warne-Agarkar.
WOW, again, you are misunderstanding what I said. Should I repost what I said?

"What has Wasim achieved that Warne didn't? That is the point. The point isn't that they are 2 runs apart. The point is if you are going to argue that 2 runs makes the difference between 2 players then you are fooling yourself. So you can't compare Agarkar with Warne because whether he is a further 2 runs off the pace is irrelevant because he has not achieved or done the same things as Warne."

In there, I just said the EXACT opposite of what you just said I said. I am essentially saying in the above that you have to look at what said bowlers achieved (with consideration of stats also, of course) and how they did it. What makes them such great bowlers, 2 runs difference? Pssh! But longevity, big-game performances, world cup medalists...these are important differences.