• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non Test Playing Nations!!!

Which Non Test Playing Nation Do U Support?

• Total voters

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Vasbert Drakes on UAE cricket -
Drakes, a former West Indies Test player, believes Emiratis have just as much aptitude for the game as players from the subcontinent.

"Their style is very similar," said Drakes. "They have a very aggressive attitude towards the game, which is full of energy. They obviously love to hit a cricket ball, and probably the area they don't pay enough attention to is their fielding."

Drakes thinks the ad hoc nature of the way Emiratis have learned the game means they do not know the core skills as well as their South Asian colleagues.

For example, Mohammed Tauqir and Fahad al Hashmi, the two most experienced Emirati players in the UAE's Asia Cup squad, learned the game from expatriate friends while they were at school. Alawi Shukri, the teenaged opening batsman, was first introduced to cricket through a Sri Lankan housemaid at his home in Jumeirah.

Drakes feels the menial aspects of the game, such as fielding and running between the wickets, have been neglected as a result of their unstructured introduction to the game.

"That can make a hell of a difference," added Drakes. "That is because none of them come from an environment where there is any structure, so they don't learn those basics from a young age.

"What they have is natural talent and co-ordination - as well as a great passion for the game. Once you get that, you will always have an exciting bunch of players.

"If they train and do mature, with proper monitoring, you will see some decent cricketers in the next five to 10 years."

Drakes is serving a three-month term as coach of the UAE during the West Indies off-season, where he is the head coach of Barbados.

His remit is to make the national team competitive at the Asia Cup, which starts in Lahore on June 24. He will also be in charge when they attempt to retain their ACC Trophy in July and August.

Yet, after arriving on May 10 and having had just more than one month to get to know his new players, he said he had his work cut out. "I have to be honest with myself and realise you can't change a guy in the space of month," he said.

"It is going to take time, there has to be a process to anything successful. It is just a case of guys going over there, being competitive, and trying to get as much exposure as possible to try to take on board how you can achieve those targets and objectives.

"We have been doing a lot of technical work, and we have been analysing the opposition. If they can learn 10 per cent of what I am saying, there will be a growth, even in this short space of time."

- UAE have a long way to go

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Should ICC ban Zimbabwe from Test status & award it to any other nation with better future like Kenya or Ireland???
no because test membership isn't limited to only 10 teams, if kenya or ireland are to get test membership they will get it without whatever happens to Zimbabwe mattering.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
no because test membership isn't limited to only 10 teams, if kenya or ireland are to get test membership they will get it without whatever happens to Zimbabwe mattering.
I feel they should be awarded with test status after next years qualifiers... They definetly worth it...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Ireland For EPL? Should be very interesting if that happens....
That would be sick but i dont get what Deutrom means by this- "Could we become a franchise of the Indian Premier League" ? That doesn't make sense however if they can become part of the EPL it would a excellent idea.
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000036/003654.shtml
I know, Sky had 1st refusal, they said no, BBC and Setanat would not take up the rights either.

Yep...

And now a whole week later no one seems to be buggered with what happened in Kenya's elite league

Isn't there any other channels that could cover the match?

it's been postponed due to rain is the last thing I heard anything about it.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
That would be sick but i dont get what Deutrom means by this- "Could we become a franchise of the Indian Premier League" ? That doesn't make sense however if they can become part of the EPL it would a excellent idea.
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000036/003654.shtml

Isn't there any other channels that could cover the match?

it's been postponed due to rain is the last thing I heard anything about it.
The rain postponement was way back in March tyo avoid the extremely wet months of April and May.

Check this post for size

brockley

International Captain
Good to see now if they can get their selection polcies right in other words pick shaun heaney,jon davidson and ian billcliffe and stop going with untried youngsters they maybe again be competitive.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
ACC Trophy Elite, Malaysia Jul - Aug 2k8:

Group A:
Hong Kong
Kuwait
Nepal
Qatar
Singapore

Group B:
Afghanistan
Bahrain
Malaysia
Saudi Arabia
UAE

Fixtures:

July 25th:
Match 01: Malaysia v Bahrain
Match 02: Qatar v Singapore
Match 03: Hong Kong v Nepal
Match 04: Saudi Arabia v UAE

July 26th:
Match 05: Afghanistan v UAE
Match 06: Kuwait v Singapore
Match 07: Bahrain v Saudi Arabia
Match 08: Nepal v Qatar

July 27th:
Match 09: Hong Kong v Kuwait
Match 10: Malaysia v Afghanistan

July 28th:
Match 11: Bahrain v UAE
Match 12: Nepal v Singapore
Match 13: Hong Kong v Qatar

July 29th:
Match 14: Kuwait v Qatar
Match 15: Afghanistan v Saudi Arabia
Match 16: Malaysia v UAE

July 30th:
Match 17: Afghanistan v Bahrain
Match 18: Malaysia v Saudi Arabia
Match 19: Kuwait v Nepal
Match 20: Hong Kong v Singapore

August 1st:
Match 21: 5th/6th Playoff
Match 22: Semi-final 1
Match 23: Semi-final 2

August 2nd:
Match 24: 3rd/4th Playoff
Match 25: 7th/8th Playoff
Match 26: 9th/10th Playoff

August 3rd:
Match 27: FINAL

(Finalists qualify to 2009 or 2010 Asia Cup)8-)

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Malaysia is the host for ACC trophy again !!! Why not UAE or Nepal ? I am tired of watching matches being washed away.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Malaysia is the host for ACC trophy again !!! Why not UAE or Nepal ? I am tired of watching matches being washed away.
Me too, recently even U19 World Cup was held in Malaysia... My choise whould be UAE. with the kind of infrastructure & fan base they have, they can host the tournament really big way...

The most supriseing thing is OMAN who are promoted to WC Qualifiers are'nt qualified for ACC Elite? I think ACC should have selected them on their present position then the tournament ranking that was held 2 years back...

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Are there any chances of Upset in today's matches? Feel UAE are capable of giving a fight to Bangladesh....