• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
****in bull**** day, it just hasto happen to NZ. I could never see that kind of thing happening to a side like India (they would have a massive waaaa!)

but it will do our confidence alot of good because they have looked like a depleted team.

Flem274*

123/5
One does suspect that if India were in our position they'd make their opinion loud and clear yes.

I'd have to say I agree with the two Ians.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just a shame it wasn't India then, because if they made a big fuss as they might do hopefully this nonsense would be more likely to be sorted.

I hope the fact it's little old New Zealand doesn't mean the matter gets swept under the carpet.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope the players get over it and come out and win the next two games, will make it an awful lot easier for us fans to forget about the whole thing.

A 2-2 series result would haunt me forever.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I actually looked at the headlines on the net this morning and a few posts on here and assumed NZ just had to play out a maiden and they would win the game...now i hear they would have needed 7 off the over( is that correct?)...sure they would have been favourites to do it but it's not as if it was a sure thing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
now i hear they would have needed 7 off the over
Without the loss of any wickets, either.

Hardly a walk in the park.

That's why it was so disappointing though. It had been raining for about ten minutes so we all knew they were going to pack up after 20 overs - we were set for a top finish either way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think if they'd lost 2 wickets they'd have needed about 2 more runs. The dot-balls would have been more damaging.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah they would of struggled with McCullum and Styris both settled, give me a break, it was a shoe in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, NZ were certainly favourites, but as the Napier ODI which was re-shown during the delay showed - anything over a-run-a-ball from a single over is far from a guaranteed given. Good bowling will make it exceptionally difficult.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Just a shame it wasn't India then, because if they made a big fuss as they might do hopefully this nonsense would be more likely to be sorted.

I hope the fact it's little old New Zealand doesn't mean the matter gets swept under the carpet.
It's the fact that England is involved and they are not that far from MCC that gets things hastened it seems.

Rule changed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh well, at least it should now be sorted. Shame, but unfortunately that's the reality - someone has to suffer for a poor legislation to emphasise that it needs changing, usually.

I do wonder what part if any MCC played in the decision though TBH.

Days of Grace

International Captain
To me it's obvious why they have the 30 minute rule.

Haven't you seen the amount of fat bastard umpires in modern-day cricket?

Shep, Peter Porkey ****ing Parker, Hair, to name but a few.

All want to have a big feed of pies during the innings break. 10 minute breaks just don't cut it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
But if it is rain interupted then they have plenty of time to eat....... while its RAINING!

There should never be a rule. It should have been made so it was adaptable to the situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To me it's obvious why they have the 30 minute rule.

Haven't you seen the amount of fat bastard umpires in modern-day cricket?

Shep, Peter Porkey ****ing Parker, Hair, to name but a few.

All want to have a big feed of pies during the innings break. 10 minute breaks just don't cut it.
David Orchard was more fond of his lunch than any of those lot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, 'smatter of fact I have wondered where he disappeared to. Was a pretty decent Umpire, certainly no worse than Rudi Koertzen who won the Umpire Of The Year award in 2003 (or thereabouts).

freckleslol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi all, been thinking a bit lately - when Fulton (hopefully) returns to form and Jess Ryder (hopefully) stops being a douche and recovers, we may actually have a bit of a log jam; at least in our one day side.

Assuming management wants to keep the Ryder/McCullum experiment at the top; How needs to bat three then we have to choose between Taylor / Styris / Fulton / Flynn / Oram for 4, 5, 6 and 7.

I'm wondering if it's time Scotty was left out, as much of a servant he's been for us. His knees are shot; you could see him struggling to run - even though the rain may have been a slight factor - he can't bowl particularly quick and opts to bowl those stupid off spinners. He does, however, have the stabilising veteran presence that I'm sure relieves some pressure off McCullum, Taylor and How; does this counteract both his knees and his stupid haircuts? Who knows. I'd say give him this series and the Champions then if he's not performing, goodbye Scotty.

If Fulton plays it seems silly to play him below four; so pencil him in there and then Taylor at five which seems low but I'm sure there'll be plenty of NZ collpases for him to bat time. Flynn at six, well. I've never seen him play a one day game but everything I've heard and read points to him being able to bat very well in the limited form - but can he finish ala Hussey? And this leaves Oram at seven. So a hypothetical lineup...

Ryder
McCullum
How
Fulton
Taylor
Flynn
Oram
Vettori
Mills
?
?

The problem with this XI is the fact there's only five bowlers which is funny considering not long ago we had everyone able to throw their arm over. This is why I'd love to see Oram being put to six and maybe dropping Flynn; I'm sure Vettori and Mills could do fine at their new respective positions and another bowler - Patel maybe? - could be put in. It'd be a nice balance.

Also expanding the point someone made earlier about the massive decline we've had since '04, I was brooding over it at work and figured we, had we been in bizarro world where the Black Caps get good luck, this could be our test team:

How
Opener - even in bizarro we'll never have two openers.
Sinclair - a non weirdo Sincas who realized his potential
Fulton
Taylor
Ryder
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Bond - if only
Martin

It's a bit of a cutesy line up, with four bowlers and Oram and Vettori at 8 & 9 but Ryder can turn his arm over. If bizarro world was super Fleming would sacrifice everything to be the opener but I can imagine that team stomping England this year.