• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Demons have the last criteria covered, and we have Aaron Davey, so 2/3 are covered. Also, we have this guy:

Unfortunately, the Demons are poor at the game. They also have the worst logo, the slightly dodgy looking magician chap (who I'm presuming is supposed to be a demon). It does look, judging by the picture you've attached that they have some cult heroes though; but a decent logo is a must.

Western Bulldogs are all speed, fair bit of flair but haven't been up around the top for a while. In fact, haven't won a premiership since the 50's. Very good users of the ball and, despite in the past few years being a bit soft, win all the hard footy now and are sitting in the top couple of chances to win the flag.
Are the Bulldogs what used to be Footscray? If so, the Western Bulldogs is a poor name. Makes me think they're another team from Perth. Of all the games I've watched this year, I quite enjoyed the game that Adelaide played the other (last?) week where they smashed Fremantle in the 2nd half. Quite free flowing stuff.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Unfortunately, the Demons are poor at the game. They also have the worst logo, the slightly dodgy looking magician chap (who I'm presuming is supposed to be a demon). It does look, judging by the picture you've attached that they have some cult heroes though; but a decent logo is a must.

Are the Bulldogs what used to be Footscray? If so, the Western Bulldogs is a poor name. Makes me think they're another team from Perth. Of all the games I've watched this year, I quite enjoyed the game that Adelaide played the other (last?) week where they smashed Fremantle in the 2nd half. Quite free flowing stuff.
Yeah, they are the old Footscray. "Rebranded", or whatever corporate claptrap you'd like to incorporate.

Adelaide are always there and abouts, but take a very scientific and structured approach to the game and tend to only score highly when they are thumping a side. When evenly matched with a team, they are usually involved in dour affairs. I think the game you would've seen a week or two ago with Adelaide would've been against Richmond.

Richmond has the player with whom you would most identify - Richo, according to your criterium he is HeathDavisSpeed.

HeathDavisSpeed

Richmond has the player with whom you would most identify - Richo, according to your criterium he is HeathDavisSpeed.
Jeez. Structured? Not too sure I can root for a team that can be described as 'Structured'.

So this Heathy style player that turns out for Richmond is called "Richo"???

Johnners

Matthew Richardson, affectionally known as Richo, does indeed play for Richmond, and is basically Jonos God :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Matthew Richardson, affectionally known as Richo, does indeed play for Richmond, and is basically Jonos God :p
Basically everybody's God, TBH.

Plays with his heart on his sleeve, one of the best mark's in the competition, kicked 700+ goals, but is still a notoriously inconsistent goalkicker. Misses from 25m out, directly in front. Then nails one on the run from the boundary line. Used to be much maligned, because of his body language (not afraid to give his teammates a spray if they kick badly) but as he's gotten older, everyone just loves him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah structured would be a fair enough description of Adelaide, under Craig anyway. Given that the biggest strength of the team is the backline, and that approach, Adelaide's not always a very attacking team. Not that I'm bothered by that as I quite like watching defensively oriented football as long as it's tough and competitive and not just playing possession, but some people are.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wanganeen was playing in the backline the year he won it.
Yeah, I guess I think of him more as a McLeod type rebounding defender than key position though. I doubt any full back or CHB has won the award in a long time, I was just trying to think of anyone who might have polled decently at least.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I guess I think of him more as a McLeod type rebounding defender than key position though. I doubt any full back or CHB has won the award in a long time, I was just trying to think of anyone who might have polled decently at least.
Yeah, definitely agree that he was more of your attacking type defender, a la McLeod.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So this Heathy style player that turns out for Richmond is called "Richo"???
He's the type of guy who will get his face absolutely smashed in a collision during a game, with broken cheekbones and all, and said to be out for at least 4 weeks, but somehow rock up the next week and play with a face mask on even though his team hasn't won a game yet for the season and he has every right taking a rest.

In this match he then almost kicks the winning goal for his team but is robbed by a new ****ty rule and over zealous umpiring :(

He also wears one glove, making him gun.

Was Goodes still playing in the Ruck when he won his first? I know that he wasn't for his second.
Yeah Goodes was playing ruck in 2003, that's what made him so damn awesome.
Wanganeen was playing in the backline the year he won it.
Whilst he wasn't quite key position, he wasn't exactly a McLeod/Gilbee sort of defender either. Footy didn't really allow for it that much back then, and he was last line of defence a few times.

However going by the criteria of what Faaip asked, he doesn't fit the bill.

Silvagni didn't poll well in the 90s, and if he didn't, then no full back would have really.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Silvagni didn't poll well in the 90s, and if he didn't, then no full back would have really.
Well, Silvagni never got the touches that modern day full backs do. So the effect coming the other way wasn't the same, nor as "eye-catching" as a Scarlett or a 2008-Bock.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, with SOS you never really noticed how good a job he was doing until after the game you thought back and realised whoever he was on didn't have much of the football the entire day, week after week after week. Man I miss him, favourite sportsman ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, Silvagni never got the touches that modern day full backs do. So the effect coming the other way wasn't the same, nor as "eye-catching" as a Scarlett or a 2008-Bock.
Yeah you're right, that's true with direct relation to the Brownlow.

In general though, I reckon Silvagni got more attention and praise in the media. I can imagine a kid wanting to be a Silvagni back in the 90s, even though Ablett and Carey were around (in fact, him playing on huge power forwards and sometimes winning rose his stature). But I guess general media praise is irrelevant to the Brownlow: see Ablett and Carey.

HeathDavisSpeed

St. Kilda v Fremantle, 20 Jun 19:40 (local) = 20 Jun 21:40 (your time)
Hawthorn v Kangaroos, 21 Jun 14:10 (local) = 21 Jun 16:10 (your time)
Port Adelaide v Richmond, 21 Jun 14:40 (local) = 21 Jun 17:40 (your time)
Brisbane Lions v Adelaide, 21 Jun 19:10 (local) = 21 Jun 21:10 (your time)
West Coast v Geelong, 21 Jun 17:40 (local) = 21 Jun 21:40 (your time)
Melbourne v Sydney, 22 Jun 13:10 (local) = 22 Jun 15:10 (your time)
Carlton v Essendon, 22 Jun 14:10 (local) = 22 Jun 16:10 (your time)
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs, 22 Jun 16:40 (local) = 22 Jun 18:40 (your time)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
St. Kilda v Fremantle
Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Port Adelaide v Richmond
Brisbane v Adelaide
West Coast v Geelong
Melbourne v Sydney
Carlton v Essendon
Collingwood v Footscray

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
St. Kilda v Fremantle
Port Adelaide v Richmond
Brisbane v Adelaide
West Coast v Geelong
Melbourne v Sydney
Carlton v Essendon
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't like tipping without the official teams but I will likely not be able to after the team lists are announced.

St. Kilda v Fremantle
Port Adelaide v Richmond
Brisbane v Adelaide
West Coast v Geelong
Melbourne v Sydney
Carlton v Essendon
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

If Rich had Port at home I reckon we could have taken them. Beat them in Port 2 years ago mind you.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Dons will smash Carlton this week, bookmark it. If they don't i'll change my sig to Bryce Squibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.