• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jesus, my percentage took an absolute belting thanks to my 400+ pt loss to Brumby.

2nd highest points scored, yet 5th on the ladder, mix of bad luck plus completely underperforming atm :( Have to come good in finals, and definitely want a top 4 spot so an injury to my captain or something tragic like that happening in the first week of finals won't be too devastating.

pasag

RTDAS
Can anyone recall a genuine key defender polling well in the Brownlow? I only remember Brownlow's clearly since the mid 90s or so, but in that time I don't remember any examples.

I think Bock will manage 10 or so this year, at a conservative estimate. I hope he got 3 last night at least, definitely deserved it. He obviously won't go anywhere near winning it, but even Scarlett and Rutten when they've had totally dominant seasons recently didn't manage more than 3 or 4 votes IIRC. Wondering if there are any exceptions.
Yeah, throughout Brownload history it's nearly always been the midfeild and on-ballers who have won it. Even forwards have never fared well - Ablett, Carey having never won one, Plugger being ithe last in the late 80s, can't remeber any defenders winning it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its a midfielder's medal, or at least has been for the last 15 years.

It may be awesome to watch, and great to bet on/make predictions, but the Brownlow Medal isn't as accurate as the AFL MVP and Coach's Award IMO. Not all the time anyway.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can anyone recall a genuine key defender polling well in the Brownlow? I only remember Brownlow's clearly since the mid 90s or so, but in that time I don't remember any examples.

I think Bock will manage 10 or so this year, at a conservative estimate. I hope he got 3 last night at least, definitely deserved it. He obviously won't go anywhere near winning it, but even Scarlett and Rutten when they've had totally dominant seasons recently didn't manage more than 3 or 4 votes IIRC. Wondering if there are any exceptions.
Wanganeen was playing in the backline the year he won it.

Josh

International Regular
Don't forget big Jimmy Stynes has won one. Don't think too many ruckmen would've taken away the big prize at the end of the year.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Question for those in the know. I notice that Collingwood are the team that AFL fans love to hate. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'? Did Collingwood continually win the thing for a while, and this pissed people off?? Only been interested in the game for a short while, and haven't seen any reason to dislike one team over another (in general)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Question for those in the know. I notice that Collingwood are the team that AFL fans love to hate. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'? Did Collingwood continually win the thing for a while, and this pissed people off?? Only been interested in the game for a short while, and haven't seen any reason to dislike one team over another (in general)
Actually, not really. They were very successful during the early years of the competition, in terms of winning premierships. However, they went through a 34 year drought until 1990, when they often lost the GF. This gave birth to the term "Colliwobbles". They've lost the GF more than any other side ever, and their supporters are scum and feral. Eg. Joffa and Matt79.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, it's something developed over 100+ years. Doesn't have much to do with success and can't really be explained easily.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Apparently the TV cameras caught Eddie McGuire crying yesterday, did anyone see it? Shattered i missed it tbh:p, watching Collingwood lose is just as good as watching Port Adelaide lose.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, not really. They were very successful during the early years of the competition, in terms of winning premierships. However, they went through a 34 year drought until 1990, when they often lost the GF. This gave birth to the term "Colliwobbles". They've lost the GF more than any other side ever, and their supporters are scum and feral. Eg. Joffa and Matt79.
Hmmm. Righto. So rather than taking the piss out of them choking, people hate them? Interesting... I've got a mate at work who's a big Collingwood fan, but I tend to win up the couple of Fremantle fans a bit more.

They keep asking me who I support, but I've got no one team that I follow. Who should I be supporting? Which team is the AFLification of Heath? All speed, tricks and mental fragility?

cameeel

International Captain
Don't forget big Jimmy Stynes has won one. Don't think too many ruckmen would've taken away the big prize at the end of the year.
Jim Stynes, Len Thompson, Scott Wynd, Corey McKernan (yes, I know that technically he didn't win it), Adam Goodes off the top of my head. There's 6 since 1972, so it's not that rare.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmmm. Righto. So rather than taking the piss out of them choking, people hate them? Interesting... I've got a mate at work who's a big Collingwood fan, but I tend to win up the couple of Fremantle fans a bit more.

They keep asking me who I support, but I've got no one team that I follow. Who should I be supporting? Which team is the AFLification of Heath? All speed, tricks and mental fragility?
Hmmm, mental fragillity is probably Fremantle. They have had a list that should see them up the top end of the ladder for the past few years, but underachieve.

Western Bulldogs are all speed, fair bit of flair but haven't been up around the top for a while. In fact, haven't won a premiership since the 50's. Very good users of the ball and, despite in the past few years being a bit soft, win all the hard footy now and are sitting in the top couple of chances to win the flag.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jim Stynes, Len Thompson, Scott Wynd, Corey McKernan (yes, I know that technically he didn't win it), Adam Goodes off the top of my head. There's 6 since 1972, so it's not that rare.
Was Goodes still playing in the Ruck when he won his first? I know that he wasn't for his second.

cameeel

International Captain

Demons have the last criteria covered, and we have Aaron Davey, so 2/3 are covered. Also, we have this guy:

cameeel

International Captain
Was Goodes still playing in the Ruck when he won his first? I know that he wasn't for his second.
Yeah, he was playing predominately as a ruckman in '03. He still played a fair bit in the centre in 2006, enough to classify him as at least a part-time ruck in that year imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.