• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do the Windies have anyone better than Powell? Taylor and Edwards are pure class, but Powell seems to fire only when the mood takes him, he often looks so dreadful.
Frustrating, isn't he? Looks like he has everything to make him a good test bowler, but just doesn't ge the job done very often. Can bowl some good stuff when he's on song though. Maybe with Edwards and Taylor getting better all the time, Powell can lift as well. Love his facial expressions. A character IMO.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Too old to improve in terms of WI cricket is Powell. If he gets dropped, he's done. Along with those Camps named is Tino Best, ICL withstanding. And I don't rate Bennn much either. Figure he'd add variety depending on Gayle and Chattergoon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He typically starts well and then falls away startlingly. That's why he's much better in ODIs, usually, because he doesn't get enough of a chance to fall away.

howardj

International Coach
Sources deep in the jungles of the Carribean tell me that Johnson is certain to play, despite his underwhelming series thus far.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Sources deep in the jungles of the Carribean tell me that Johnson is certain to play, despite his underwhelming series thus far.
8-)

Not at you, at Merv and co. Sick to death of this 'chosen one' policy that's been done to anyone under 30 who can swing a ball or unfurl pretty chips over midwicket.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

8-)

Not at you, at Merv and co. Sick to death of this 'chosen one' policy that's been done to anyone under 30 who can swing a ball or unfurl pretty chips over midwicket.
In the search for a left-arm quick, the Aussie selectors will do anything. Witness the continued selection of Brendan Julian. Or the selection at all of Chris Matthews. I'd say he'll be given every chance to get some form and he'll also play in India. Without a decent spinner, variation is the buzzword for India I'd guess.

howardj

International Coach
In the search for a left-arm quick, the Aussie selectors will do anything. Witness the continued selection of Brendan Julian. Or the selection at all of Chris Matthews.
In his defence, BJ was a top tourist, a ripper bloke and great for team morale apparently!

Chris Matthews...is not so defensible.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I really don't see the issue. You pump the Tests into the bloke while the team is winning, the guys is fit, and you can afford to carry him. Then come the more important matches, he has more experience and knows his game, and Test cricket better. Who cares if it means that his personal numbers take a hit, it'll ensure that going forward we'll be a better side.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I really don't see the issue. You pump the Tests into the bloke while the team is winning, the guys is fit, and you can afford to carry him. Then come the more important matches, he has more experience and knows his game, and Test cricket better. Who cares if it means that his personal numbers take a hit, it'll ensure that going forward we'll be a better side.
I take your point, but we have three issues:

1. The team is not winning, it's drawing against the #8 side (albeit in Antigua).
2. The time-honoured Australian practice of dropping nascent players has invariably brought success from them when they get re-picked after working on their game (see Clarke, S. Waugh, Warne, Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Lee and Katich)
3. Noffke has patently played well enough to deserve a spot, irrespective of Johnson's pedestrian form and season performance.

Apart from Midge playing like a total liability atm. Would sooner have Watson there as a pure bowler.

Burgey

I take your point, but we have three issues:

1. The team is not winning, it's drawing against the #8 side (albeit in Antigua).
2. The time-honoured Australian practice of dropping nascent players has invariably brought success from them when they get re-picked after working on their game (see Clarke, S. Waugh, Warne, Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Lee and Katich)
3. Noffke has patently played well enough to deserve a spot, irrespective of Johnson's pedestrian form and season performance.

Apart from Midge playing like a total liability atm. Would sooner have Watson there as a pure bowler.
it's only one draw though. A side with an arguably better attack lost to WI after setting a record chase last time around. An attack containing Warne and McGrath also failed to bowl out SA in Perth when they had nigh on 2 days to bowl them out.

I agree we're not as strong as we were, but I don't think it's panic stations yet.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Perhaps so, but that's no reason to take for granted the strength we do have in Noffke and Bollinger, just for the sake of not damaging Johnson's confidence.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But it's a fair argument to suggest that Mitchell Johnson and Stuart MacGill were the weak links that could have lost Australia the first Test. Clark bowled out of his skin to win it for Australia, and therefore did not expose that potentially game-losing flaw.

howardj

International Coach
Apparently Casson has been bowling very well in the nets over in the West Indies, so my spies inform me. I really hope he can do a job for Australia this year. What we need is someone who can keep a lid on things, and be dangerous when the wicket is conducive to spin- as distinct from someone like MacGill who goes for plenty but is capable of the odd magnificent cherry. Really hoping Kat can put in a bluechip display also, and pile the pressure on Jacques - or at least seal the reserve spot for the Indian tour.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Apparently Casson has been bowling very well in the nets over in the West Indies, so my spies inform me.
Never been his problem tbh, gun net bowler. Look, quote me as saying he will go alright in this last Test, but I'd put most of it down to novelty factor. I don't think he's the answer.