• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wright-Cook-Bell-Pietersen-Collingwood-Flintoff/Bopara-Ambrose-Swann-Broad-Sidebottom-Anderson

Trescothick-Strauss-Bell-Pietersen-Collingwood-Dalrymple-Jones-Loudon-Plunkett-Harmison-Mahmood

Come on. We're moving in the right direction. I'm not saying we're world beaters yet, but hopeless we aren't, and I reckon we'll be in an ODI series from the start nowadays, I didn't 2 years ago.
As I said - the Sri Lanka series isn't a good comparison, because that was even worse than the standard England ODI debacle. Try doing some comparisons to the teams either side of that SL series.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now now Craigos, we are a little better than we were :p

Anyway, my marks out of 10 for our boys

Strauss - 7/10 - not convinced that he deserved his MOTS but well played, great to have a consistent Strauss back at the top of the order
Cook - 5/10 - disappointing
Vaughan - 7/10 - reasonable with the bat, and scores a couple for his bowling changes, which seemed to bring wickets about often enough.
Pietersen - 7/10 - not at his best, but scored runs when we really needed him to - I said when he came to crease on Thursday that there was no better man for the job and he didn't let me down
Collingwood - 3/10 - looked all at sea, scored the winning runs at OT but he needs to improve his form, and fast.
Bell - 3/10 - like Colly out there at the end at OT, but not out there much otherwise
Ambrose - 6/10 - Medicore with the bat except for his role in probably the partnership of the series. No clangers with the gloves.
Broad - 5.5/10 - Batted well but if you're batting at 8 then we want wickets, and he didn't take enough. If Flintoff is fit for South Africa there is simply no argument for picking Broad ahead of him, as Flintoff has five Test tons and as good a fast bowler as you will find anywhere; that being said I think Broad could have a good future ahead of him and I expect him to become one of our better ODI players
Sidebottom - 7/10 - Not the Sidebottom we saw in the antipodes but he had his moments, and 19 wickets at 20 is a fantastic return. He now has 5 5 wicket hauls, Steve Harmison took 50 matches more for just 8.
Anderson - 8/10 - not exceptional, as there were times when he was eratic as ever, but the inconsistency was less than it had been, and he had his best series in an England shirt. Without Anderson's brilliance, this series would not be over yet, 19 at 19 is a very good return.
Panesar - 7/10 - a quiet series for Panesar overall, but on the day that conditions favoured him, he turned the match, and with it the series. But for his day three performance at OT, this series would probably have been tied, if not won by the Kiwis. Will face a bigger workload as the summer progresses.
Panesar had a poor series overall. Fielding was rubbish as always. Scored 1 run in 3 innings. Bowled his usual toothless stuff and when he finally strung a dozen decent overs together NZ gave him a 6-fer. Rubbish. How on earth can you give that nonentity 1.5 more than Broad and be joint 2nd overall?

Anderson and Sidebottom were flattered by their stats too of course, but both did way more than Panesar - batting, bowling or fielding.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Panesar had a poor series overall. Fielding was rubbish as always. Scored 1 run in 3 innings. Bowled his usual toothless stuff and when he finally strung a dozen decent overs together NZ gave him a 6-fer. Rubbish. How on earth can you give that nonentity 1.5 more than Broad and be joint 2nd overall?
Because Broad was far worse with the ball than MSP even when MSP wasn't offering a threat, and never looked in the slightest likely to offer the amount of threat MSP did at Old Trafford.

And though some people might've forgotten, Broad is in the side principally to bowl, his batting is a bonus and not something that should be being given particularly significant light. He'd have to be averaging 40-50 to make-up for the toothlessness his bowling has almost always shown so far in his Test career.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And though some people might've forgotten, Broad is in the side principally to bowl, his batting is a bonus and not something that should be being given particularly significant light. He'd have to be averaging 40-50 to make-up for the toothlessness his bowling has almost always shown so far in his Test career.
To exemplify on this - if I currently had Angus Fraser or Darren Gough circa 1994 or 1998 available I'd have not a second's hesitation in picking both ahead of the current Broad.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I really dont think the kiwi batting line-up is looking all too bad for the near future. If you look at the players in the top 7 that didnt score runs there is only Marshall and Redmond. I think the Marshall problem will be fixed with Ryder down the order and bring Taylor and co up. Which only leaves the opener which I believe we will find eventually, just look at how Jamie How started histest career; horribly, yet he has turned out to be a solid opeing batsmen. Give Redmond another shot and then gie the next guy in line a go.

Ryder has a future down the order in both forms of the game. Having McCullum and How opening means a decent chance of a good opening stand when with Ryder a Mc them both pulling their thing off in the same innings will be a rareity.

So, the only area I am concerned about for the future is having a Bond-esque bowler with that x-factor and a bit of pace something I belive none of our current quicks have. Southee has the potential to develope into that and I pray for New Zealands future that he can. What sort of bowler Timmy turns into will largely develope on his treatment by NZC through his development. Before Southee developes I think our gun-bowler hopes lie with James Franklin as he looke to be the freshesed of the current bunch and the one with the most potentail.

As Johnny Braces said, out period of dominance will come, just be patient.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
So, the only area I am concerned about for the future is having a Bond-esque bowler with that x-factor and a bit of pace something I belive none of our current quicks have. Southee has the potential to develope into that and I pray for New Zealands future that he can. What sort of bowler Timmy turns into will largely develope on his treatment by NZC through his development. Before Southee developes I think our gun-bowler hopes lie with James Franklin as he looke to be the freshesed of the current bunch and the one with the most potentail.

As Johnny Braces said, out period of dominance will come, just be patient.

I don't think Southee is the answer, because if he is, he would have developed pace without breaking a sweat. (Sharma, Steyn, Anderson)...

Southee is more the McGrath / Clarke type. I can't imagine him developing Bond-like pace, I prefer him developing absolute control over his line and length. He needs to develop his unplayable stock delivery that he can send down at will like McGrath in his heyday.

A potential out and out quick could be Richard Sherlock and Trent Boult + a Canterbury bowler (name escapes me) that's pretty fast too.

I think we can afford to drop Southee for he is a young carbon copy of Mills, and develop one of the above, or until Braces / Vettori / McCullum have the guts to drop one of their senior bowlers in the name of blooding an out and out quick.

We do have a lot of youngsters coming through the system (bowlers, all rounders and batsmen) just that this tour happened to snap in between that phase where retirements are plenty, and youngsters are one season away from selection.

Redmond got given a central contract so expect him to stick around for the next summer at least.

FBU

International Debutant
Forgot the two played in the same team

Woodcock c Hopkins b Anderson
Parlane c Hopkins b Anderson

Having been behind the stumps to 28 overs of Anderson's bowling in NZ he must have felt quite at home when he came out to bat. :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Southee is the answer, because if he is, he would have developed pace without breaking a sweat. (Sharma, Steyn, Anderson)...

Southee is more the McGrath / Clarke type. I can't imagine him developing Bond-like pace, I prefer him developing absolute control over his line and length. He needs to develop his unplayable stock delivery that he can send down at will like McGrath in his heyday.

A potential out and out quick could be Richard Sherlock and Trent Boult + a Canterbury bowler (name escapes me) that's pretty fast too.
Yeah, I'm a massive fan of those unnamed players. Really good blokes...

Sherlock is more injury-prone than Bond and has done absolutely nothing to impress thus far. Why must we have this utter addiction with out and out speed? The only time speed is useful is when it's combined with accuracy - otherwise it's just an opportunity for the ball to disappear to the fence quicker (see Tait, Shaun for a prime example). Southee is comfortably better than anyone else in the 18-22 age bracket in NZ from what I've seen.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Well don't get me wrong, Southee is the brightest prospect of what's around in NZ domestics atm, but it is a problem as demonstrated in this tour when you chuck Mills + Southee + Martin in the same lineup. There is nothing there to suggest penetration, and when they are not taking wickets, who else do you turn to? Vettori? Or Oram?

Most of the bowlers we have are good toilers (Martin, Mills, O Brien), and at their best, economical bowlers. When they do take wickets, aside from that freak spell from Mills in Hamilton, it's generally because batsmen are out of form (England middle order), or the ball is swinging. But the issue is, even when the conditions are perfectly ideal for swing, you don't see them doing the business for us. We needed to call in O Brien to get anything happening from the seam department. Martin -> 4 wickets the entire series? He needed to be the one who takes the most wickets almost every game considering he's there primarily to bowl sides out, otherwise, what good is he as a cricketer?

Craig

World Traveller
They will need to actually play to compete for that though. Our next test series is against Australia.

November 2008
Thu 13 - Sun 16 11:00 local, 00:00 GMT New South Wales v New Zealanders Sydney Cricket Ground
Thu 20 - Mon 24 10:00 local, 00:00 GMT 1st Test - Australia v New Zealand Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane
Fri 28 - Tue 2 10:30 local, 00:00 GMT 2nd Test - Australia v New Zealand Adelaide Oval

The NZ domestic season started in 2007 on November 12th. So unless they bring it forward to give some of the NZ players time to get cricket under their belt, other than ODI's, they would realistically have to pick Redmond as the incumbent.

What they could do is pick Papps and Bell, and then play all three of them in the tour match against NSW, and whoever bats at 3 in the 1st innings swaps with one of the other openers in the second.

How will be a certainty, and will get to play international cricket between now and then. Redmond, Papps, Bell and Marshall (ugh, it IS a possibility unfortunately) will probably only be able play grade cricket until the test series.

So, unless they keep Redmond as the incumbent, they may ask someone who is in form from the ODI's between now and then to open. Two people immediately spring to mind: Brendon McCullum and Jesse Ryder.

There had been rumours McCullum would open in England, and given that he will probably be getting the most shots at batting in the ODIs (and I should point out now in no way I am advocating the picking of people based on ODI form) therefore will be seen as 'match ready'. AFAIK, Ryder will be back in time for the Champions Trophy at least and will most likely return to the openers role. And guess what? In selectors eyes they will probably see that as a good reason to make him open in the tests.

So come Australia we might see a top order with any of the following possibilites:
Bold=What I hope/would pick
Underline=Possibility
Italic=Please no for ****s sake
1. How
2. Redmond | McCullum/Ryder | Papps/Bell/Marshall
3. Fulton | McCullum | Marshall
4. Taylor
5. Flynn
6. Oram
7. McCullum | Hopkins

Flynn showed some definite promise in England. Fulton also should've been ahead of Marshall, but anyway. I would give Fulton the number 3 spot as Taylor seems to have found his place at 4, I don't think Flynn should be exposed to that spot so early and if McCullum were to bat there and if Hopkins was brought in I think I would scream, then smash a few windows, then eat the shards.
However Fulton's match preparation could also be an issue. Unless he gets a shot in ODIs between now and Australia he will be in the same boat as Papps, Bell and Marshall for trying to get a spot in the side. However, Fulton has an advantage in experience and simply being one of the best batsmen in New Zealand. It would be a big gamble playing him in Australia, especially given our half-weak opening combination.
Alternatively, McCullum could bat and three without Hopkins having to come in, then you could debut Ryder down the order at 6 shuffling Oram down to 7.

Since this is getting into the possibilities over the NZ next test side, I may as well round it off for the bowlers.

I'm pretty sure Franklin will be back by then. He will be a massive boost I think as he can swing the bowl and get it up there at a pretty decent pace. Mills can swing, but can't get that much pace. Martin can get a bit of pace, but not too much that would trouble Australian batsmen on Australian pitches. However, he has been a much improved bowler in recent times. IMHO he was unlucky in England despite bowling well.
Vettori will be picked, obviously, with Oram the all-rounder.
I think Gillespie should be in the squad. He has some genuine pace and fire in the belly, and the Australian pitches would suit his bowling more than anyone else in the team. He would be my first reserve in case any of the seamers get injured. Or, one has a woefully bad match and deserves to be dropped to try Gillespie in the 2nd test (hate 2 test series, deadset).
Patel as the next in line, obviously. Could maybe get a go at Adelaide alongside Vettori if takes a bit of turn like it should, but hasn't exactly been doing for a while.
I think O'Brien would get somewhat eaten alive, but he deserves to be in the squad for his performances in England. If Franklin is fit though, he should come straight into the side replacing Iain.

So, this is what I hope the test squad is for the tour of Australia:

1. How
2. Redmond
3. Fulton
4. Taylor
5. Flynn
6. Oram
7. McCullum+
8. Vettori*
9. Franklin
10. Mills
11. Martin

12. Patel
13. Gillespie
14. Ryder
15. O'Brien

Okay side IMHO.
Is that viable? If so why not bring it forward? Smashing post by the way. Good read :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The most interesting thing now surrounds Bell and Collingwood. I said before this game that I'd have been happy to see Collingwood dropped and couldn't really moan too much if Bell was should what has happened happen. Now I'm less sure. I think I'll reserve judgement until the ODIs are over. Not that I place the slightest emphasis on ODI happenings in regard to Tests, but we all know others do and if both were to score heavily I think we all know they'd both be retained with few questions asked.

Really rather annoyed that Broad got those tailenders in the first-innings, because he's presumably now a shoo-in (maybe even if Flintoff is fit) for at least the start of the SA series. If only Anderson had managed to polish them off.
You're sounding more & more like a fan of Anderson nowadays.:laugh:
tbh I don't get the latest Flintoff injury. At the time, we were told it was a "strain", but it's kept him out for weeks. I'm increasingly of the view that we're more likely to see Jones than Flintoff at some stage of the SA series.

As for Bell & Collingwood, that's what I was getting at the other day when I made the comparison with both H & H making way for Anderson & Broad. Batting wise, you'd be hard pressed to pick which of them should stay and the tussle between Shah & Bopara as a replacement is a hard call too. Bottom line, if the first test against SA started next week, I'd go into it with new numbers 5 & 6.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, but he bowled a damn sight better than Broad the last Test, and a couple of extra for him would have made roughly zero difference, his figures were superb whether it was 9-for or 11-for. Broad's were changed, significantly, by those 2 tailenders.
As for Bell & Collingwood, that's what I was getting at the other day when I made the comparison with both H & H making way for Anderson & Broad. Batting wise, you'd be hard pressed to pick which of them should stay and the tussle between Shah & Bopara as a replacement is a hard call too. Bottom line, if the first test against SA started next week, I'd go into it with new numbers 5 & 6.
Well it's not difficult at all to pick who has the best case out of Shah and Bopara for anyone who knows the tiniest thing about the game. 8-) But we know it's highly possible the selectors will struggle to realise this.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbh I don't get the latest Flintoff injury. At the time, we were told it was a "strain", but it's kept him out for weeks. I'm increasingly of the view that we're more likely to see Jones than Flintoff at some stage of the SA series.

Bopara and Shah don't look like being an improvement - there's no point of changing things for the sake of it and ending up with worse, see NZ.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A good effort by England throughout this series, but I'm not really sure if they're going forward. Had New Zealand still had access to Bond and Fleming they probably would have drawn the series. A New Zealand side featuring Bond and Fleming was absolutely raped by South Africa last year, so I'm not too confident of their chances later in the summer. Still, I think all the calls for Collingwood and Bell to be axed in the English media are ridiculous. They both averaged over 50 in the New Zealand leg of this 6 match series and shouldn't have their positions questioned so rapidly on the basis of only 3 poor innings.