• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strauss is not and should not currently be anywhere near being dropped. Cook won't be either any time soon, and if he is then Robert Key is the only man who he should be dropped for.

The day a batsman's ability to bowl a little bit dictates his selection is a sad day indeed of course.
Once a batsman is selected over someone with superior batting due to his own purely because of his added bowling skill, he ceases to be a batsman and becomes a batting allrounder. Collingwood's role in the team with the ball doesn't even come close to justifying that ATM, so his bowling shouldn't really come into it. This is magnified by the fact that it'd probably be Bopara replacing him anyway, who bowls a bit as well.

I'd still honestly rather see Collingwood retain his place than Bopara get selected at this stage, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
100 partnership between these two.

Ambrose has played really well so far - kept out the straight balls and waited for the stuff in his area.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Once a batsman is selected over someone with superior batting due to his own purely because of his added bowling skill, he ceases to be a batsman and becomes a batting allrounder. Collingwood's role in the team with the ball doesn't even come close to justifying that ATM, so his bowling shouldn't really come into it. This is magnified by the fact that it'd probably be Bopara replacing him anyway, who bowls a bit as well.
I honestly don't think Collingwood's bowling has ever played any part in his selection for Tests. He's far from the only one with a poor First-Class record to be picked for Tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said, I doubt Shah would be selected ahead of Bopara at this stage, even though he should be by all rights. If I was selecting the team, I'd have given Collingwood this Test as well, but I'd have selected Shah or Ramprakash for the first Test against South Africa had he failed again.

Given how likely I feel it is that Bopara is next cab off the rank, though, I'd rather see Collingwood persisted with, as I still believe he is superior.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I honestly don't think Collingwood's bowling has ever played any part in his selection for Tests. He's far from the only one with a poor First-Class record to be picked for Tests.
Well, I wasn't actually suggesting that it had - I was merely following the line of conversation which suggested it should now, refuting it.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I feel the same. Shah should be selected, but if there was a change Bopara would come in, but I don't agree with you saying that Collingwood should keep being peristed with though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Persist with Collingwood. He was Englands best bat in NZ (IMO) and he'll find some form in the ODI series before facing RSA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ have bowled well since Tea and England have played it well - couldn't afford another wicket crash like post-Lunch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH if you could pick any England player to get you through this mess - it would be Pietersen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Half-century for Ambrose, well played. After 0 and 3 in his 2 previous knocks this series, much-needed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To pick Prior again for Tests would be simply untenable.

He's done well this season in the Championship? Yep, sure he has. So, in case anyone has missed it, did Ambrose before he joined the Test team.

Ambrose is also an infinitely better wicketkeeper than Prior.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Silly thing is, Prior so far in Test cricket has batted far better than Bopara.

Pietersen whacks one just out of reach of McCullum at mid-on to move into the 90s.