• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, that's true. But we're playing India here...In India...It's not something you 'experiment with the future' in...India are pretty much our #1 enemy now, we need the best side that can do the best job right now.
Understand that. Which is why I said, "good for our short term future, but not our long term future".

Woodster

International Captain
Thought Katich was most effective today despite not being a great pleasure to watch in terms of free flowing strokeplay. Don't suppose the slow nature of the pitch helps a great deal, although Clarke, despite a lack of cricket recently, timed the ball very well straight from the off.
Fantastic achievement from Ponting, a definite great player.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
All this talk of playing India already is fairly exciting (although the build-up is not as serious as the 2004 tour just yet). This tour will go along way in Australia balancing out their best side especially in the bowling ranks.

ATS i'd be looking at something like this:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Lee
Clark
Tait/Bracken/Johnson
MacGill

Katich - well he proved vs India & SRI in the 03 & 04 that he has the game to play spinners & i'd want to have in the XI an although harsh on Jaques. Doesn't mean he should be dropped though more of a horses of courses selection with The Kat being preferred.

Tait/Johnson/Bracken - As in 2004 with McGrath/Dizzy/Kasper Australia need a strong pace attack that can handle bowling in Indian conditions i.e mastering reverse swing mainly. This is even more key than before given that even if MacGill begins to bowl well by then even at his best i don't expect him to give the Indian batsmen serious headaches given his record vs them & on turning tracks away from home.

ATS i'd back Lee to be able to do well if conventional or reverse swing is available or if he gets a period where he has to just keep it tight.

Clark yea i have faith in him in those conditions now based on how he bowled in Jamaica.

Johnson - i fear he would be gun barrel straight ATM unless he starts to swing it. This is why i'd be tempted to look at Tait/Bracken conbo. Tait given his share pace & ability to reverse could be VERY handy in India only worry is his accuracy while Bracken with how well he has done in India over the years in ODI's could be a tempting option, like Katich another potential horses for courses selection.

sideshowtim

Banned
All this talk of playing India already is fairly exciting (although the build-up is not as serious as the 2004 tour just yet). This tour will go along way in Australia balancing out their best side especially in the bowling ranks.

ATS i'd be looking at something like this:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Lee
Clark
Tait/Bracken/Johnson
MacGill

Katich - well he proved vs India & SRI in the 03 & 04 that he has the game to play spinners & i'd want to have in the XI an although harsh on Jaques. Doesn't mean he should be dropped though more of a horses of courses selection with The Kat being preferred.

Tait/Johnson/Bracken - As in 2004 with McGrath/Dizzy/Kasper Australia need a strong pace attack that can handle bowling in Indian conditions i.e mastering reverse swing mainly. This is even more key than before given that even if MacGill begins to bowl well by then even at his best i don't expect him to give the Indian batsmen serious headaches given his record vs them & on turning tracks away from home.

ATS i'd back Lee to be able to do well if conventional or reverse swing is available or if he gets a period where he has to just keep it tight.

Clark yea i have faith in him in those conditions now based on how he bowled in Jamaica.

Johnson - i fear he would be gun barrel straight ATM unless he starts to swing it. This is why i'd be tempted to look at Tait/Bracken conbo. Tait given his share pace & ability to reverse could be VERY handy in India only worry is his accuracy while Bracken with how well he has done in India over the years in ODI's could be a tempting option, like Katich another potential horses for courses selection.
MacGill will get absolutely, unashamedly murdered. I'd give Hauritz or Casson a chance. There is no way that they would be worse than MacGill and they provide an extra option with the bat down the order.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, that's true. But we're playing India here...In India...It's not something you 'experiment with the future' in...India are pretty much our #1 enemy now, we need the best side that can do the best job right now.
Interesting. I would think most people still rate the Ashes as #1.

Woodster

International Captain
That's just Katich. Will never be the prettiest player to watch, but I like watching him bat nonetheless.
Yes I also enjoyed his actual innings, even for its doggedness. It was surely inevitable after his last 18 months or so he was to flourish back at Test level at some point. He deserves it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I also enjoyed his actual innings, even for its doggedness. It was surely inevitable after his last 18 months or so he was to flourish back at Test level at some point. He deserves it.
Hate watching Katich bat tbh. But, one of the best innings I've ever seen live was Katich's for W.A. in about '99 when W.A. flogged QLD in the shield final that year. Great innings.

Woodster

International Captain
Hate watching Katich bat tbh. But, one of the best innings I've ever seen live was Katich's for W.A. in about '99 when W.A. flogged QLD in the shield final that year. Great innings.

He's probably not one for the purist, just sticks to his strengths, and on days like he had today and for the majority of the recent times, he's very effective.

Has his trigger movement always been such an exaggerated motion across his stumps ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting how close Ponting and Tendulkar are when you look at them when they reached their 10,000th run.

Ponting - 196 innings, ave 58.84, 35 100s, 40 50s
Tendulkar - 195 innings, ave 57.58, 34 100s, 41 50s

And there are still some idiots who bite your head off if you try and class him with Tendulkar or Lara. Lol.
Similar number of tons, innings, average and 50's; clearly Punter is riding on Sachin's coat-tails.

:D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's probably not one for the purist, just sticks to his strengths, and on days like he had today and for the majority of the recent times, he's very effective.

Has his trigger movement always been such an exaggerated motion across his stumps ?
Yep, has always been a big mover before the ball is bowled. That's why he comes across as nervous.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
31/05/2008 1:12:29 AM geg. Bob going to sleep now
31/05/2008 1:12:36 AM geg. Bob hope to wake up to find Katich 100+*

Best day. Was nearly in tears reading the score card. Only wish it was broadcast in NZ. Will have to hunt down highlights of his innings.

Also reckon he can make it a double (H).

pasag

RTDAS
Pretty ordinary day of cricket and that's only because of the pitch, which IMO was a disgrace. The WIndies bowled very well, but were only rewarded when the Aussies gifted them wickets pretty much. As soon as Katich and Ponting decided to play risk free cricket it was all over.

Congratulations to Ponting, such a champion and looking in fine form. I'm pretty close to knocking him up my Australian list to 4th after Bradman, Chappell and Harvey and if he guns it in India he'll go even higher (what a day for Ponting, first cracks then 10,000 and then climbs up my list! :p)

Would be suprised if we don't see us getting to about 500-550 and putting them in to bowl an hour before stumps with them 1/40 at the close of play.