• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non Test Playing Nations!!!

Which Non Test Playing Nation Do U Support?

• Total voters

slugger

State Vice-Captain
actually they could have all those games played while the IPL is on and the eng 20/20 league which i think starts next year.. im sure the test teams wouldnt miss their players contracted to those 20/20 comps.. and could still put a decent ODI team together to play these matches..

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I have been meaning to have an enormous rant about Top Associate teams, Kenya especially not getting enough of the right sort of cricket to cross the gap between themselves and the next level but Martin Williamson's beaten me to punch

Also Steve Tikolo airs similar views in this interview here

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Zimbabwe touring Kenya soon?
Only if they grow some balls:ph34r:

I certainly hope they do. Kenya start their European tour from July whilst the domestic First Class matches end i Mid June. Being as Zimbabwe aren't doing anything else they could pop over for a 3 match series at the very least.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Only if they grow some balls:ph34r:

I certainly hope they do. Kenya start their European tour from July whilst the domestic First Class matches end i Mid June. Being as Zimbabwe aren't doing anything else they could pop over for a 3 match series at the very least.
But that's how they have to be? Better something then nothing?

Any of u on Facebook? Y not be friends?

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Hi friends, Am in New Zealand on a Vacation & for the first time... Now @ Auckland... Anyone over here????

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Landmark decision for UAE cricket

In an attempt to promote the game to UAE nationals, the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) have ordered that at least four of the country’s 15-man squad who will travel to Pakistan next month to take on the Test playing nations Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the Asia Cup should be Emiratis.

Until the start of 2008, the UAE squad consisted almost exclusively of expatriate players from Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka, who had qualified through the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) residency regulations.

However, the ECB have now introduced a quota system which states that at least four of the squad should be Emiratis, and that no fewer than two of them should be in the first XI.

Mohammed Tauqir, the veteran Emirati off-spinner, has been named as the understudy to the captain Saqib Ali, while Fahad al Hashmi, Alawi Shukri and Salman Farooq have also made the tour party.

The ECB’s bold step has not gone unnoticed by the Arabian Gulf Rugby Football Union. The Gulf’s rugby team consist entirely of Western expatriates, although there are signs that the game is finally starting to take hold among nationals at the grassroots level.

Indeed, some Emirati rugby players are believed to be attempting to form their own federation which would be independent to the Arabian Gulf.

The UAE football team have always selected a full team of Emiratis only, an indication of how popular the game is in the country with nationals compared with other sports.

The cricket board’s decision was a landmark not just for the game but for Shukri, who had campaigned for two years for greater assistance and recognition for Emirati cricketers. Shukri said: “This is a very good day. We have won one small battle.”

His team, the UAE Nationals Club, who are a side of UAE passport holders plus three overseas players, will celebrate their first anniversary in July.

The Asia Cup – a one-day tournament – is the highlight of the UAE’s cricket calendar. They will play Bangladesh on June 24 and Sri Lanka on June 26 in Lahore.

If they do pull off what would be a major shock and qualify from that pool, they will then move to Karachi for matches against the top two teams from a group made up of India, Pakistan and Hong Kong.

Vasbert Drakes, the former West Indies all-rounder, will take charge of the side for the first time since arriving in the UAE on May 10, and the matches will be shown live on ESPN.

However, despite his delight at making the squad, Shukri admitted the timing could not be much worse for him.

The cricket-obsessed 18-year-old has been studying for school examinations and has had little time to practise.

“I have barely picked up a bat in three weeks, which probably is not the best preparation for playing against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka,” he said.

“But hopefully I will be OK. I am looking forward to joining up with the squad on Monday, and we have a great new coach in Vasbert Drakes, which is very exciting for us all. This is a very big series for the country.”

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Landmark decision for UAE cricket

In an attempt to promote the game to UAE nationals, the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) have ordered that at least four of the country’s 15-man squad who will travel to Pakistan next month to take on the Test playing nations Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the Asia Cup should be Emiratis.

Until the start of 2008, the UAE squad consisted almost exclusively of expatriate players from Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka, who had qualified through the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) residency regulations.

However, the ECB have now introduced a quota system which states that at least four of the squad should be Emiratis, and that no fewer than two of them should be in the first XI.

Mohammed Tauqir, the veteran Emirati off-spinner, has been named as the understudy to the captain Saqib Ali, while Fahad al Hashmi, Alawi Shukri and Salman Farooq have also made the tour party.

The ECB’s bold step has not gone unnoticed by the Arabian Gulf Rugby Football Union. The Gulf’s rugby team consist entirely of Western expatriates, although there are signs that the game is finally starting to take hold among nationals at the grassroots level.

Indeed, some Emirati rugby players are believed to be attempting to form their own federation which would be independent to the Arabian Gulf.

The UAE football team have always selected a full team of Emiratis only, an indication of how popular the game is in the country with nationals compared with other sports.

The cricket board’s decision was a landmark not just for the game but for Shukri, who had campaigned for two years for greater assistance and recognition for Emirati cricketers. Shukri said: “This is a very good day. We have won one small battle.”

His team, the UAE Nationals Club, who are a side of UAE passport holders plus three overseas players, will celebrate their first anniversary in July.

The Asia Cup – a one-day tournament – is the highlight of the UAE’s cricket calendar. They will play Bangladesh on June 24 and Sri Lanka on June 26 in Lahore.

If they do pull off what would be a major shock and qualify from that pool, they will then move to Karachi for matches against the top two teams from a group made up of India, Pakistan and Hong Kong.

Vasbert Drakes, the former West Indies all-rounder, will take charge of the side for the first time since arriving in the UAE on May 10, and the matches will be shown live on ESPN.

However, despite his delight at making the squad, Shukri admitted the timing could not be much worse for him.

The cricket-obsessed 18-year-old has been studying for school examinations and has had little time to practise.

“I have barely picked up a bat in three weeks, which probably is not the best preparation for playing against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka,” he said.

“But hopefully I will be OK. I am looking forward to joining up with the squad on Monday, and we have a great new coach in Vasbert Drakes, which is very exciting for us all. This is a very big series for the country.”
good start, there should be a icc thing that says at least 6 players have to be a national of the country or at least those that have that gets rewarded.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Nice with such news UAE has the oppertunity to be a Test Nation by 2015 but I know its still a long way though, first 2011 Wc guys... come on...

Do U think UAE can defeat Bangladesh in coming Asia Cup?

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice with such news UAE has the oppertunity to be a Test Nation by 2015 but I know its still a long way though, first 2011 Wc guys... come on...

A Bangladesh of three or four years ago could have conspired to lose to anyone. But no they have gone too far as a ODI side to play that poorly.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
A Bangladesh of three or four years ago could have conspired to lose to anyone. But no they have gone too far as a ODI side to play that poorly.
Feel UAE are also in their peak form, they batted superbly in Div 3 & qualified to WCQ. They have got a strong batting line up... If their bowling also clicks then they are capable of beating Bangladesh. Its tough though after seeing even Ireland struggle so much against Bangladesh recently....

Any news on Zimbabwe's tour of Kenya?

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain

come on UAE a test nation by 2015? there's so many other teams before UAE that should get it and wont get it by 2015...plus they are barely now going to have 2 emirates in the team...I dont think they can beat bangladesh because here's how it is, there's the top 6/7 a bit behind in is 8 then big gap between 9/11 than a huge gap between top 6 associates and then there's even a big gap between them and the rest of the associates. why? 1 big reason- money.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
But UAE has got better infrastructure, Sponsers, Viewers then any of the teams played in 2007 WC...

Efaz

U19 12th Man
UAE can be still beaten by any club team from a test playing country, including the ones from Bangladesh.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
But UAE has got better infrastructure, Sponsers, Viewers then any of the teams played in 2007 WC...
yeah that may be but unlike the most of the teams in 2007 wc they dont have any connection to the grass roots, most of the teams from the wc have more nationals than immigrants...