• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I reckon one of the top 6, most likely to be Vaughan, will need to get 100 if we are in with a chance. I really want Pietersen to make runs today, seems like yonks since he last played well.
I don't even think Pietersen will bat today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss off-the-mark. EDIT: and Cook off-the-mark.

Out of all run-chases of 294 or more in Test history, only 5% have been successful. :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I reckon one of the top 6, most likely to be Vaughan, will need to get 100 if we are in with a chance. I really want Pietersen to make runs today, seems like yonks since he last played well.
I really want Pietersen not to bat today TBH, as Rob B said.

stumpski

International Captain
I reckon one of the top 6, most likely to be Vaughan, will need to get 100 if we are in with a chance. I really want Pietersen to make runs this test, seems like yonks since he last played well.

A hundred only two Tests ago tbf, plus one in his only f-c match for Hants, but I know what you mean.

Been out for the day and just seen the score, this could be a classic. Scores remind me a bit of Lord's 2000. Diminishing totals are a worry though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Been out for the day and just seen the score, this could be a classic. Scores remind me a bit of Lord's 2000. Diminishing totals are a worry though.
Yeah, reminded me of that game too.

I popped out too, when NZ were 80 for 2. Turned on the radio to find Cook batting. My first assumption was that Taylor & McCullum had gone absolutely ballistic, enabling Vettori to declare really early & not wanting to rely on the 5th day at all. Turns out that didn't happen.

NZ favourites, but they may remember England twice chasing down big 4th innings targets last time they were here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quality of bowling throughout the match was far higher in that Lord's WI 2000 Test TBF. That opening session everso slightly excepted.

Cook doing his Tom Jones impression here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ favourites, but they may remember England twice chasing down big 4th innings targets last time they were here.
Neither pitch which bore the slightest resemblence to this one. The Trent Bridge one did turn, though not as viciously as this one has.

More significantly, Vettori at that point was in a truly d-i-r-e rut. Something which emphatically is not the case currently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, WoW, never seen that before - McCullum spots the premeditated sweep from Cook, goes for that, Cook misses, Taylor from first slip dives and stops the byes.

ITSTL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The half-unbuttoned shirt.

Even Hussain would struggle to win this game, for my money. Though there's not all that many of recent times I'd rather have to try it.

stumpski

International Captain
True ... was anyone else thinking this was day four?

We've been lucky to have had a full day's play though - no play at Edbgaston, and only 20-odd overs at Derby.