• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nash to the Windies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He put up good numbers in the trial matches for selection. Didn't just walk into the team because he's Australian. Made runs and got selected for Jamaica. He confirms what we know about WI FC cricket though.
That's not what I was suggesting. I was referring to the attitude of the Jamaica players toward him when he entered the team.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
It's so depressing that one of the best batsmen in WI domestic cricket is an Aussie reject. Indeed it's shocking how weak the WI domestic system is. The strange thing is that there aren't really any batsmen pushing for a place outside the WI team, everyone seems to average around 30 or less. Allen Stanford should turn his attention towards youth development in the WI, lord knows the WI board won't.

Craig

World Traveller
It's so depressing that one of the best batsmen in WI domestic cricket is an Aussie reject. Indeed it's shocking how weak the WI domestic system is. The strange thing is that there aren't really any batsmen pushing for a place outside the WI team, everyone seems to average around 30 or less. Allen Stanford should turn his attention towards youth development in the WI, lord knows the WI board won't.
There was a West Indies 'B' squad for that purpose to give youngsters from the various Islands a go when they may not have a shot at from their respective Island (IE like how Carlton Baugh first came to prominence). Then the WICB scrapped it, but I haven't been following it too closely to know if something else is there.

Liam (Mr Mxyzptlk) is the best person to use as a point of reference. Or Xavier (Roseboy).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could he be a possibility of making the W.I. side in the one day series, especially given his allround abilities?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I wouldn't call him one of the best batsmen in WI domestic cricket. He's had one good first-class season, allied by a poor OD season. Nash had a couple of decent seasons in Australia, so it's not like he was a failure there who has come good in the Caribbean. It was his inability to perform with consistency in Australia that defined his struggle. Let's wait to see what consistency he can bring to the West Indies game first.

That said, the training that he would have received in Australia is far superior than anything he could have received in the Caribbean. He's a batsman in his (theoretical) prime, so let's just see how he goes.
There was a West Indies 'B' squad for that purpose to give youngsters from the various Islands a go when they may not have a shot at from their respective Island (IE like how Carlton Baugh first came to prominence). Then the WICB scrapped it, but I haven't been following it too closely to know if something else is there.

Liam (Mr Mxyzptlk) is the best person to use as a point of reference. Or Xavier (Roseboy).
There was a Combined Campuses squad this time around, which was a mix of amateurs and experience. Mostly amateurs. It allowed talented players like Jason Bennett (who can't get into the fast-bowler heavy Bajan team) to get some valuable first-class experience. I don't think the CCC squad is as effective as a 'B' side though. And ideally, in terms of development, I'd like to see a return to the invitated foreign side every season.

Could he be a possibility of making the W.I. side in the one day series, especially given his allround abilities?
He was extremely poor with the bat in the domestic OD comp. Dwayne Smith is more worthy of ODI selection than Nash at this stage. Nash had a fine time with the ball though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since when has being poor in domestic-OD cricket stopped selectors (from all parts) from picking players who have done well in domestic-FC cricket for ODIs?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since when has being poor in domestic-OD cricket stopped selectors (from all parts) from picking players who have done well in domestic-FC cricket for ODIs?
Recently West Indies have been relatively good with picking players for the form they've shown promise in though. That said, few West Indies players do well in one format and not the others. Generally players are mediocre in all formats.

Flem274*

123/5
Feel sorry for the WI fans. If I had all these Aussie bastards coming in and saying some nobody would be awesome for NZ I think I'd abuse them constantly and earn a ban.:happy:

Seriously, WI shouldn't pick him on principle. Tell him to go home.:p