• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you feel about Shane Warne?

How do you feel about Shane Warne?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry, but his average was over 31 against Australia
No, it was 27 in meaningful games. Those last 3 Tests are utterly worthless, as he'd have done poorly against whoever he was up against in them, he was no longer anywhere close to the bowler he had been.
On the brighter side, might've touched 40 if that "dud" Hayden hadn't been playing
If Hayden had played more against him (played a fair few as it was), I'm sure Donald's record would be that much better for the early wicket he'd always have had a substantial chance of getting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As great as they were with the old ball, they still won't be able to run through a batting side of Bradman, Chappell, Lara, Tendulkar on a flat first day track at Chennai for all that quality. You simply NEED variety in your attack
Honestly Honest, that's just a crazy comment. Virtually no-one will EVER be able to run through that batting-line-up very easily under most circumstancs, be they the four greatest seamers in history or any other attack you care to name.
unless and until the difference in quality between ur extra seamer and your first spinner is so bad like it was for RSA recently and the Windies most of the time in the 80s.... Honestly, that is why every cricketer worth his salt chooses a spinner in his all time XI. For you guys to brandish around here with stuff from statsguru showing that you know better is honestly starting to look silly now. This is not a simple X Vs Y player comparison to come to conclusions based on stats. These are things you know from having watched the game over a period of time. When you have the luxury to pick great bowlers with variety, you do that... It's a no brainer.
This is far from a notion based solely on stats. It's a working knowledge, gained from years of watching cricket, about how seam > spin. Seamers have advantages that spinners can never enjoy - much, much more substantial than those which spinners have which seamers can never do.

There's many good reasons why seamers generally have better statistical records than spinners - they're able to attack and defend with more ease. Seam is simply a more useful style of bowling than spin, there's far more options available to you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you seriously implying Donald was better than Warne and Murali???????? The guy couldn't do anything on flat tracks.... And I do know what I am talking about.... Watch him get tonked when the track flattened out in 97 at his best against Sachin and Azhar...... I can agree about the other 3 but this is getting ridiculous now... That would be like me telling Kumble is better than Joel Garner....
Of course Donald was far better than Warne or Murali. So he had a game or two where he didn't do much on a flat track - so?!?!?! Warne and Murali had loads of them too.

Donald also had loads and loads of games on flat tracks where he did do plenty. As of course did Warne and Murali. I cannot believe you are seriously telling me you think Donald offered NOTHING on non-seaming pitches. :blink:

I will never, ever remotely countenance the notion that a spinner, any spinner, can possibly be in the same league as Donald as a bowler. It just makes no sense whatsoever, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given the West Indies poor form on more than one occasion against spin in that period it's highly possible, so yes.
What were the other occasions? Bob Holland's match 4 years earlier?

Oh yes... that was... a dead game too. How curious. :)

West Indies' "weaknesses" against spin are more fantastical than reality, based more on the "well there were no spinners in their side so they must've been weak against it" than anything else. Anyone and anyone will struggle against a high-calibre spin-bowler on a turning surface on some occasions. But West Indies generally dealt with lesser spinners and\or spinners on non-receptive pitches without any undue difficulty, without difficulty which other teams would not endure as well.

Honestly, Pakistan or New Zealand (for example) would almost certainly have done every bit as poorly in those dead Tests against Holland and Border as West Indies in '84/85 and '88/89 did.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
As great as they were with the old ball, they still won't be able to run through a batting side of Bradman, Chappell, Lara, Tendulkar on a flat first day track at Chennai for all that quality. You simply NEED variety in your attack unless and until the difference in quality between ur extra seamer and your first spinner is so bad like it was for RSA recently and the Windies most of the time in the 80s.... Honestly, that is why every cricketer worth his salt chooses a spinner in his all time XI. For you guys to brandish around here with stuff from statsguru showing that you know better is honestly starting to look silly now. This is not a simple X Vs Y player comparison to come to conclusions based on stats. These are things you know from having watched the game over a period of time. When you have the luxury to pick great bowlers with variety, you do that... It's a no brainer.
One of the great posts of all time, for mine. (Dwayne) Bravo!

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
May I ask you, how you arrived at the 35-40 average ? Sunny played 20 test matches where at least one of (Roberts, Garner, Marshall, Holding) and he scored with an average of 49.
There was some analysis done earlier, and we looked at how he fared when none were playing, one was playing, two were playing, and three were playing. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What were the other occasions? Bob Holland's match 4 years earlier?

Oh yes... that was... a dead game too. How curious. :)

West Indies' "weaknesses" against spin are more fantastical than reality, based more on the "well there were no spinners in their side so they must've been weak against it" than anything else. Anyone and anyone will struggle against a high-calibre spin-bowler on a turning surface on some occasions. But West Indies generally dealt with lesser spinners and\or spinners on non-receptive pitches without any undue difficulty, without difficulty which other teams would not endure as well.

Honestly, Pakistan or New Zealand (for example) would almost certainly have done every bit as poorly in those dead Tests against Holland and Border as West Indies in '84/85 and '88/89 did.
The last game of the series was on the SCG on both occasions I think you'll find Richard. A pitch that turned sideways back in those days. There was a reason Australia played 2 spinners on most occasions back in then.

What's curious is that the last rubber of the series was on a spinning wicket. How you can claim to convincingly come up with the explanation being a dead rubber and nothing to do with their pace attack being somewhat nullified on a slow turning wicket and a slight weakness against spin is beyond me. I remember these games and I remember us getting flogged in all of them. I also remember the anticipation of us possibly winning the last test due to it being on a Sydney turner.

For the most part, the fact that the West Indies pace attack was so so good meant they'd blast you out on most wickets anyway. It was also interesting that they'd handle mediocre pace bowlers without any trouble, yet mediocre spinners would cause them all sorts of grief.

In fact, between 1974 and 1991 the West Indies won 6 dead rubbers, drew 3, and lost 3 (interestingly enough all to Australia - two of these were at the SCG. One of the losses was in the 75/76 series when they'd been flogged 4-1 up to that point anyway). Not exactly symptomatic of a team that took its foot off the pedal when it had the series wrapped up. In Sydney they never won in this period, but had 1 draw and 3 losses.

This doesn't mean they were awful against spin of course. They couldn't have been, otherwise they'd never have reigned for so long. On a turning wicket though they may have been vulnerable. Such bowling luminaries such as Allan Border (7/46) and Bruce Yardley (7/98) took big hauls on the SCG during this period.

social

No, it was 27 in meaningful games. Those last 3 Tests are utterly worthless, as he'd have done poorly against whoever he was up against in them, he was no longer anywhere close to the bowler he had been.

If Hayden had played more against him (played a fair few as it was), I'm sure Donald's record would be that much better for the early wicket he'd always have had a substantial chance of getting.
Funny how excuses are allowed when supporting your favourites (Donald played too long, Imran played too long and was picked too early, Botham was affected by captaincy) yet none are allowed for those you are arguing against

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The last game of the series was on the SCG on both occasions I think you'll find Richard. A pitch that turned sideways back in those days. There was a reason Australia played 2 spinners on most occasions back in then.

What's curious is that the last rubber of the series was on a spinning wicket. How you can claim to convincingly come up with the explanation being a dead rubber and nothing to do with their pace attack being somewhat nullified on a slow turning wicket and a slight weakness against spin is beyond me.
Because these games were not the only occasions they played on such wickets. There were many others. Had those SCG games been live, I'm very confident they'd have done rather better, as they did against other spinners elsewhere (far better spinners, safe to say, than Holland and Border).
I remember these games and I remember us getting flogged in all of them. I also remember the anticipation of us possibly winning the last test due to it being on a Sydney turner.

For the most part, the fact that the West Indies pace attack was so so good meant they'd blast you out on most wickets anyway. It was also interesting that they'd handle mediocre pace bowlers without any trouble, yet mediocre spinners would cause them all sorts of grief.
Apart from Border and Holland, to whom do you refer? And please don't give me someone who once or twice took 3-40 against them.
In fact, between 1974 and 1991 the West Indies won 6 dead rubbers, drew 3, and lost 3 (interestingly enough all to Australia - two of these were at the SCG. One of the losses was in the 75/76 series when they'd been flogged 4-1 up to that point anyway). Not exactly symptomatic of a team that took its foot off the pedal when it had the series wrapped up. In Sydney they never won in this period, but had 1 draw and 3 losses.

This doesn't mean they were awful against spin of course. They couldn't have been, otherwise they'd never have reigned for so long. On a turning wicket though they may have been vulnerable. Such bowling luminaries such as Allan Border (7/46) and Bruce Yardley (7/98) took big hauls on the SCG during this period.
I know. :) And Bruce Yardley, very briefly, was a decent bowler. However, I challenge you to find the team which isn't challenged on a turning surface, especially one so extravantly turning as (as you mention) The SCG was at that time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny how excuses are allowed when supporting your favourites (Donald played too long, Imran played too long and was picked too early, Botham was affected by captaincy) yet none are allowed for those you are arguing against
They are allowed for anyone and everyone. Obviously, though, it's likely I'll only need to mention it when I'm arguing for someone's case. When I'm arguing against it, why on Earth would I need to mention it?

Son Of Coco

Because these games were not the only occasions they played on such wickets. There were many others. Had those SCG games been live, I'm very confident they'd have done rather better, as they did against other spinners elsewhere (far better spinners, safe to say, than Holland and Border).

Apart from Border and Holland, to whom do you refer? And please don't give me someone who once or twice took 3-40 against them.

I know. :) And Bruce Yardley, very briefly, was a decent bowler. However, I challenge you to find the team which isn't challenged on a turning surface, especially one so extravantly turning as (as you mention) The SCG was at that time.
Which others? I know Sydney was a turner back in those days. I assume many of the sub-continental wickets were too, but I don't know which ones were and which ones weren't.

They also presumably played on turning pitches in Pakistan and India...from memory they didn't have a great number of series with the last match actually being a dead rubber in either of those countries. There were a lot of drawn series on the sub-continent from memory, while in places like England, Australia, and their home grounds - where pace is traditionally better received, they dominated.

I only looked at what happened at the SCG when mentioning Border and Yardley, I don't know enough about the Indian and Pakistan teams of the time to say who was a good spinner and who wasn't.

Most teams will struggle on turning wickets, the team that struggles the most will generally be the one that isn't traditionally brought up playing against spinners and/or on spinning wickets. How many wickets in the carribean are turners? When was the last time we had a good West Indian spinner? I think you'll find it's a long time before the 80's. I certainly can't remember one in a long, long time.

It's certainly possible the West Indies simply had a bad day every time they played at the SCG. It's equally possible they handled spin worse than pace (given they didn't grow up facing it) and it was a weakness in conditions where it was favoured. To come out sprouting that there was no weakness and it's all about dead rubbers is ludicrous though. Especially given you didn't watch anything during the decade we're talking about. The West Indies didn't perform poorly in the small number of dead rubbers they played in. I'd be interested to know why they'd suddenly give up in Australia when the series was won, yet not do so anywhere else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which others? I know Sydney was a turner back in those days. I assume many of the sub-continental wickets were too, but I don't know which ones were and which ones weren't.

They also presumably played on turning pitches in Pakistan and India...from memory they didn't have a great number of series with the last match actually being a dead rubber in either of those countries. There were a lot of drawn series on the sub-continent from memory, while in places like England, Australia, and their home grounds - where pace is traditionally better received, they dominated.

I only looked at what happened at the SCG when mentioning Border and Yardley, I don't know enough about the Indian and Pakistan teams of the time to say who was a good spinner and who wasn't.
Iqbal Qasim, Dillip Doshi, Maninder Singh, and maybe a Sri Lankan somewhere too. All superior bowlers to Holland and Border. And while there were indeed a fair few drawn series in the subcontinent, not when WI were involved. Between 1976 and 1986, the period where they flattened all and sundry, West Indies played just a single series each in Pakistan and India, and won them both (1-0 in Pakistan, 3-0 in India, despite being without key personnel on both occasions). Well, actually, they played another in India in 1978/79, but I don't think anyone would suggest that means a thing as it was actually West Indies A playing that series, with the first-team defected to Kerry Packer.

That, to me, is enough to suggest there was no great weakness against spin for West Indian batsmen.
Most teams will struggle on turning wickets, the team that struggles the most will generally be the one that isn't traditionally brought up playing against spinners and/or on spinning wickets. How many wickets in the carribean are turners? When was the last time we had a good West Indian spinner? I think you'll find it's a long time before the 80's. I certainly can't remember one in a long, long time.
Queen's Park Oval and Bourda have almost never been seam-friendly grounds, and The ARG has rarely offered anything to bowlers of any kind. Generally, spinners had as good a chance as seamers at the aforementioned three. It's only Kensington Oval and Sabina Park that were truly seam-friendly surfaces, and even this hasn't been true in recent years.

No, West Indies haven't had a good Test spinner since Lance Gibbs enjoyed his Indian summer in 1973, 1974 and 1974/75. But that doesn't mean none of their batsmen could play spin.
It's certainly possible the West Indies simply had a bad day every time they played at the SCG. It's equally possible they handled spin worse than pace (given they didn't grow up facing it) and it was a weakness in conditions where it was favoured. To come out sprouting that there was no weakness and it's all about dead rubbers is ludicrous though. Especially given you didn't watch anything during the decade we're talking about. The West Indies didn't perform poorly in the small number of dead rubbers they played in. I'd be interested to know why they'd suddenly give up in Australia when the series was won, yet not do so anywhere else.
They didn't "suddenly give-up", but they fairly obviously cared less than they otherwise would have. I may not have watched those games live, but I've seen footage from both of them, and it's fair to say the WI batsmen often looked like they were less than 100% bothered about run-scoring. I believe this would have been different if the games had been live ones earlier in the series.

Obviously they handled quality spin less well than quality seam, but that's not really what's been being suggested - what's being suggested is that all you needed was a half-decent spinner and a turning track and that was automatically game won to you.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Eh? What the blazes have either of those got to do with (not) mentioning something that is completely irrelevant to a point you are making?
It's not irrelevent if it's contradictory evidence. Obviously if I'm arguing that, say, Hayden is a better bowler than Malcolm Marshall there's no point in mentioning that a burger at McDonalds costs 4% more than it did 7 years ago, which would be irrelevant, but it would be intellectually dishonest to fail to mention the fact that Marshall took 300+ test wickets at an average of about 20, and that Hayden is a crap bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Iqbal Qasim, Dillip Doshi, Maninder Singh, and maybe a Sri Lankan somewhere too. All superior bowlers to Holland and Border. And while there were indeed a fair few drawn series in the subcontinent, not when WI were involved. Between 1976 and 1986, the period where they flattened all and sundry, West Indies played just a single series each in Pakistan and India, and won them both (1-0 in Pakistan, 3-0 in India, despite being without key personnel on both occasions). Well, actually, they played another in India in 1978/79, but I don't think anyone would suggest that means a thing as it was actually West Indies A playing that series, with the first-team defected to Kerry Packer.

That, to me, is enough to suggest there was no great weakness against spin for West Indian batsmen.

Queen's Park Oval and Bourda have almost never been seam-friendly grounds, and The ARG has rarely offered anything to bowlers of any kind. Generally, spinners had as good a chance as seamers at the aforementioned three. It's only Kensington Oval and Sabina Park that were truly seam-friendly surfaces, and even this hasn't been true in recent years.

No, West Indies haven't had a good Test spinner since Lance Gibbs enjoyed his Indian summer in 1973, 1974 and 1974/75. But that doesn't mean none of their batsmen could play spin.

They didn't "suddenly give-up", but they fairly obviously cared less than they otherwise would have. I may not have watched those games live, but I've seen footage from both of them, and it's fair to say the WI batsmen often looked like they were less than 100% bothered about run-scoring. I believe this would have been different if the games had been live ones earlier in the series.

Obviously they handled quality spin less well than quality seam, but that's not really what's been being suggested - what's being suggested is that all you needed was a half-decent spinner and a turning track and that was automatically game won to you.
not at all.... First of all, we are discussing about the greatest spinners of all time and secondly, you were the one who is mostly saying that all you need is 4 quicks with 20ish averages and you will run through anyone anywhere.... And the main point about that whole Windies not caring thing is........ YOU DON'T KNOW!!! You are seeing footage (not complete recordings either) after God knows how many years since the games were played and you are probably trying to compare the intensity levels of today with that age. You must have watched the games then IN THAT ERA to fully even understand what you are talking about. People who have watched cricket and watched a lot of it back then have told that the Windies simply never "let go"... People like Lloyd, Richards and others have said as much in so many interviews over the years. Sorry, your point about them not caring is juz a lot of nonsense.

And I will reply to your earlier post but I am kinda on limited time here at my office. Will get back to it when I can.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't see why you need to throw the word intellectually in there, if you're arguing that Hayden is a better bowler than Marshall then you're obviously bonkers :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah but geez, Allan Border took 11 in a match! You're stretching the bounds of credulity when you argue that the WI batsmen weren't any worse than others against spin when a bloke who played on many other far more spin-friendly decks (the SCG turned from ball one but it has always been slow turn and without the uneven bounce that guys like Anil Kumble used to dominate on in India; it was far from being lethal) and was nowhere near as effective.

The explanation for it, though, is that they rarely had any quality spinners to face in domestic cricket and there's nothing wrong with that but pretending they didn't have a problem with good spin in relatively good spinning conditions (as apart from unplayables where ANYONE would struggle) ignores reality. That they did well in other countries against other spinners is just because they were such good, confident players so they'd be expected not to completely drop their bundle. They definitely did struggle, though, against bowlers most other batsmen handled well, spinning conditions or not.