• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Should be 20+ Victorian teams, IMO. We'll keep WCE, Adelaide, Syd and Bris.

Looking forward to Cranbourne vs Geelong, Kensington vs Sydney, and the huge derby - East Ringwood vs North Ringwood.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'd be good if Wellington could get an AFL franchise. I know a good number of Kiwis who'd go and watch the AFL. Won't happen though - not enough player base.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It'd be good if Wellington could get an AFL franchise. I know a good number of Kiwis who'd go and watch the AFL. Won't happen though - not enough player base.
To be honest, player base is pretty irrelevant. All players are allocated through a draft system, there is no emphasis on trying to beat all the other teams to sign a youngster, a la Rugby League. Basically, if you were given a license, it would mean that you'd get a number of draft concessions (i.e. extra picks in the draft, extra salary cap room to try and poach experienced players with some extra coin), and there's no real need to have to draft/play/pick home grown players. The problem there though is how much Wellington would associate with the team; sort of like the problem that some associate with Melbourne Storm.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem there though is how much Wellington would associate with the team; sort of like the problem that some associate with Melbourne Storm.
Quite. A couple of passable homegrown players would be a necessity. They don't have to be the very best players, but at least someone for those who are wont to do so to get jingoistic about. The Wellington Phoenix have managed to garner a significant amount of support despite none of their best players being Kiwis; but still having Kiwi players to support.

I doubt whether there are any Aussie Rules players in brought up in NZ who would be good enough to play AFL.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Trent Croad might've been born in NZ. If not, he has strong ties there, as shown by his tatt of the Fern underneath his arm.

On that issue, when did the Rules Committee make it compulsory to have crap ink on some part of your arm (preferably the underside) to get on an AFL list?

Craig

World Traveller
Gold Coast Pirates or Stingrays IMO.
Rubbish IMO. It would be so dam funny if they called themselves the Gold Coast Chargers, this would be a reference to the now defunct NRL team from 1996-1998. Would be sort in a '**** you' sort of way.

Craig

World Traveller
I think Trent Croad might've been born in NZ. If not, he has strong ties there, as shown by his tatt of the Fern underneath his arm.

On that issue, when did the Rules Committee make it compulsory to have crap ink on some part of your arm (preferably the underside) to get on an AFL list?
He was.

Status
Not open for further replies.