• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
J How
A Redmond
J Marshall
R Taylor
P Fulton (I want but it will be one of the new ones I think)
B McCullum
J Oram
D Vettori
T Southee (or batsman depending on pitch)
K Mills
C Martin

12th - Mason/Patel/Flynn/Elliott

If I selected touring Party Hay would be straight in there
Elliot:laugh: he could not be 12th man any way due to the fact he is currently lamenting his missed oppurtunities back in wellington. However i fully agree with u in regard to o'brien. they should be giving southee all the practice they can as he will be a force in the future.

Flem274*

123/5
I would be quite happy if Marshall translated his domestic form to the international arena, though it is unlikely, and I would happily eat my words. Frankly, we need someone else to step up because we cannot rely on How and Taylor to do all the work in the top order.

If they select Marshall then Fulton bats at five IMO, we can't be sure that Flynn is much at all, I still think he's lucky to be there ahead of other candidates that aren't one season wonders. Fulton, whilst in rubbish form, is by far the superior FC batsman of the two.

EDIT: I don't want Grant Elliot anywhere near an NZ test side again. He can't bat very well and he can't bowl very well.

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
If Marshall is batting at 3, Fulton has to be in the middle order. Can't argue with that one. Two debutants is a bit too much like waving the white flag to English bowlers.

If Redmond can stick around for a lot of overs at the top without scoring a lot of runs then job well done.

I think Ross Taylor doesn't get enough protection if he is shifted to 3.

I also hope that whatever happens, our marquee players do not get shifted all over the place in the batting lineup during this test series, which is what the selectors tend to do with "established in-form batsmen". (Fulton prior to his form slump, now McCullum it seems)

Did Oram manage to score any runs in the IPL? If he didn't, when was the last time he did manage a reasonable score? What happened to his batting?

Flem274*

123/5
If Marshall is batting at 3, Fulton has to be in the middle order. Can't argue with that one. Two debutants is a bit too much like waving the white flag to English bowlers.

If Redmond can stick around for a lot of overs at the top without scoring a lot of runs then job well done.
I think Ross Taylor doesn't get enough protection if he is shifted to 3.

I also hope that whatever happens, our marquee players do not get shifted all over the place in the batting lineup during this test series, which is what the selectors tend to do with "established in-form batsmen". (Fulton prior to his form slump, now McCullum it seems)

Did Oram manage to score any runs in the IPL? If he didn't, when was the last time he did manage a reasonable score? What happened to his batting?
Like hell its job well done. Job well done is making some good scores, no more, no less.

Such a funny game cricket, you get guys with astronomcal FC averages (Sinclair, Ramprakash, Bevan) who fail at test level then you get guys that have fairly average domestic records (Styris, Astles FC record I think was poor, How) who come in and suceed.

With the bowlers its even worse. Witness Martin and Patel then look at Iain O'Brien.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey EWS, sorry if I've asked this before, but I get mixed up sometimes, do you support New Zealand? Or just take a keen interest in their affairs, you do seem keen on all cricketing selections now I think of it.
I'd say he supports NZ as I support SA.

As I've said before, I honestly have wondered before now whether I don't support SA over England sometimes. But I have most interest in and knowledge of the game over here.

I'll be very interested to find-out who I'm gunning for later this summer.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Would anyone like to enlighten us what kind of bowling plan would you employ with Southee, Martin and Mills + Oram with Vettori?

It'll be the first time we see Southee and Mills together in a test.

I think I'd go:

Southee + Martin (utilize what swing there is + shine)
Mills first change
Oram and Vettori to bowl the odd spell early on before Vettori show in the second innings with backup from Southee, Martin and Mills.

Flem274*

123/5
Southee and Mills with Martin 1st change. Both are more effective with the new ball (IMO) and Martin is the perfect type for a third seamer. He can extract movement from an oler ball, he's accurate, he can be brought in at any stage and he can bowl all day.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
WTF? Why is James Marshall bowling?

Edit: Never mind. Probably change of ends for bowlers.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't expect RtD to be so influencial on the match (thought it only happened on ICC :p). I guess Marshall has confirmed his place for the first test, so the side for the first test almost picks itself. Flynn vs Fulton and Southee vs Mason the only toss ups now IMO.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
James Marshall has bowled 3 overs. Im officially worried. Is there something wrong with Vettori? like a missing limb. get him bowling

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't see Southee as an automatic pick. He's still very much the rookie.

I'm a Mason fan and would be glad to see him take his chance here. Already got two wickets.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
James Marshall has bowled 3 overs. Im officially worried. Is there something wrong with Vettori? like a missing limb. get him bowling
No idea on conditions but it may not be great for spin and a part timer with a bit of swing might be a better option - remember RtD took 6-for and hes definitely a batting allrounder. Middlebrook bowled 10 overs for figures of 0/42, not fantastic from the home spinner just for comparison.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
County Championship this season, Division 2:

MS Panesar 2* 3 75.0 14 234 4 4/105 4/156 58.50 3.12 112.5 0 0 1 0

And all 4 wickets were in a limited overs scenario when Warwickshire needed to get quick runs before time ran out, which they succeeded in doing.

Yet again, why is this nothing performer a fixture in England's team? If he was unfashionable like Graeme Swann he'd have been dropped numerous times already.

pasag

RTDAS
Bopara's been in pretty good form recently. Pity about RTD's batting there, annoying as well how he takes 6 wickets yet there's no photos of him on CI or anywhere else.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryan Ten Doeschate!!! He's dutch, he's orange and you know ittt!!!

end of rant...

Go Essex :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
County Championship this season, Division 2:

MS Panesar 2* 3 75.0 14 234 4 4/105 4/156 58.50 3.12 112.5 0 0 1 0

And all 4 wickets were in a limited overs scenario when Warwickshire needed to get quick runs before time ran out, which they succeeded in doing.

Yet again, why is this nothing performer a fixture in England's team? If he was unfashionable like Graeme Swann he'd have been dropped numerous times already.
Because "you've got to have variation". It's glaringly obvious why. Hence, you popping-up twice a week or whatever to post this exact same tirade gets exceedingly tedious due to its utter pointlessness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Didn't expect RtD to be so influencial on the match (thought it only happened on ICC :p). I guess Marshall has confirmed his place for the first test, so the side for the first test almost picks itself. Flynn vs Fulton and Southee vs Mason the only toss ups now IMO.
Mason has to play for my money. A decent bowler who's been unlucky not to get more than a single Test so far. Especially while O'Brien has played as many as he has.