• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My mistake, I thought it was against Sri Lanka, so not long after he played both Tests and ODIs against India

Pretty strong side that, crazy to see that Hoggard batted above Broad :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Forgot that Alastair Cook, another established Test player, also played in that fixture TBH.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I never realised. He'd only played 5 Tests back then to be fair, and I guess he was similarly short of game time due to the T20 Cup and ODI series

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Paul Horton should be getting a look in with the Lions sooner or later, he's a good record, is probably a bit more hungry that the likes of Denly because he's has to wait and work very hard to get his place in the Lancs side(it also helps he was born in Australia) and he's in decent form. Given Denly has hardly been in sparkling form all winter or at the start of the season he would have been a better choice imo.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I see on the tvnz news site that McCullum is listed to come in at no.5 against Essex (How, Redmond, Marshall, Taylor, McCullum, Flynn, Oram, Vettori...).

While this may be a mistake, I think it is actually a good idea. It gives McCullum more time to build an innings, and also more responsibility.

Thoughts?

Leslie1

U19 Captain
It might be more a case of giving McCullum time in the middle more so than a positional change? I'd like to see Fulton in the reckoning for the first test. Quite a congested middle order while we lack openers and a 3.

Last chance for Mason and O Brien to push for the 4th seamer spot.

So who has gone home? Hopkins, Elliot and Gillespie?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Hopkins should stay. If he comes home we're screwed if McCullum has an injury.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Paul Horton should be getting a look in with the Lions sooner or later, he's a good record, is probably a bit more hungry that the likes of Denly because he's has to wait and work very hard to get his place in the Lancs side(it also helps he was born in Australia) and he's in decent form. Given Denly has hardly been in sparkling form all winter or at the start of the season he would have been a better choice imo.
Horton is aiming to play for England then? Always thought he was an EU-passport player ITBT.

BTW, Denly hasn't been picked... has he? And rightly so, his form so far this season has been unimpressive coupled with the fact he tailed-off towards the end of last year.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
I see on the tvnz news site that McCullum is listed to come in at no.5 against Essex (How, Redmond, Marshall, Taylor, McCullum, Flynn, Oram, Vettori...).

While this may be a mistake, I think it is actually a good idea. It gives McCullum more time to build an innings, and also more responsibility.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't take anything I read on the tvnz website as gospel.
If I were you I would just wait until we are 3 down and see who comes in.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
cricinfo has got mccullum as the 5th batsman as well so im assuming it wasn't a mistake. score update NZ 23/1 off 15 overs How first 2 go which is a shame but Redmond probably needs the practice more than him. How positively raced to 9 off 45. Must be a difficult pitch:unsure:

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
There's an interview with Michael Vaughan in today's Times which seems to indicate that Freddie Flintoff will play in the first test against New Zealand.. However, there's a new twist....

“For a long time I was a fan of five bowlers, but since we've had to do without Fred, I've realised that whilst five might be ideal, it is certainly possible to do with four in Test cricket,” he says. “That's the way I'm looking right now. Most other Test teams have a No6 who averages 45 in Test cricket, so I'm looking at Flintoff at seven and four bowlers.” Sounds like Flintoff is already inked in.

Here's the article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article3857739.ece

Interesting..

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
It'd be Anderson if I was picking the team..

Though to be honest, I'd rather bring back Hoggard and leave Flintoff's return till later in the summer...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Horton is aiming to play for England then? Always thought he was an EU-passport player ITBT.

BTW, Denly hasn't been picked... has he? And rightly so, his form so far this season has been unimpressive coupled with the fact he tailed-off towards the end of last year.
Well he's English parents, he's been at Lancashire for over 10 years...he captained our U17's and he's never played much serious cricket in Australia, so i think it's fair to say he's aiming to play for England.

“I think I see my future as an opener, but my career will be determined by what other people think is best for me. My chance came opening the batting and I have grabbed it.

“My ultimate aim, like every cricketer, is to play for England. Being flexible as to where I bat will be a big help, but if you can score against the new ball you can score runs anywhere.

“I would love to be given the opportunity to play at a higher level, like anybody.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's an interview with Michael Vaughan in today's Times which seems to indicate that Freddie Flintoff will play in the first test against New Zealand.. However, there's a new twist....

“For a long time I was a fan of five bowlers, but since we've had to do without Fred, I've realised that whilst five might be ideal, it is certainly possible to do with four in Test cricket,” he says. “That's the way I'm looking right now. Most other Test teams have a No6 who averages 45 in Test cricket, so I'm looking at Flintoff at seven and four bowlers.” Sounds like Flintoff is already inked in.

Here's the article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article3857739.ece

Interesting..
Deary deary me... well, we can but cross the fingers then.

Sounds like, barring further mishap, we're now near enough certain of:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
Ambrose
Broad
Sidebottom
MSP

Disappointing that it sounds like Flintoff will bat above Ambrose too TBH. Ambrose comfortably the better batsman IMO.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Disappointing that it sounds like Flintoff will bat above Ambrose too TBH. Ambrose comfortably the better batsman IMO.
Yeah, swap those two around and with Broad at 9 and Sidebottom at 10, that's not a bad batting lineup on paper.