• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My only problem with all these Australians doing well is I can just smell the Indian home advantage dissipating with every 20 run over....:p
I still doubt...the pitches in test cricket will be very very different...and with pitches like that in the 3rd test against South Africa being made in the future, the home advantage will remain at least for a good number of years I hope...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but it's always been a bit distasteful how the media in general (not just singling out Aussie here - they're all guilty) reports news to register with locals.

News: "358 people died in a plane crash in South America today......"
Punter: *eats his dinner*
News: "...... two of which were Australian!"
Punter: "Oh my GOD!"

Reminds me of that Family Guy ep where Peter explains the attention in the media when a cute white girl dies.

Truth is, locals only give a crap about locals. It's what our psychology is built on. It shouldn't be the case, though, and the news plays off on it to get ratings.
Yep

Remember the blanket coverage given to "Thredbo Disaster" and those Tassie miners - basically 24/7

Compare that to the 10 second byline given to ferry disasters in Bangladesh etc which kill people in there hundreds

IMO, the Hussey headline etc was poor but nothing out of the ordinary

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
to be fair though, the Indian media never says "Zaheer leads some English county to a win" when he has just taken 3 or 4 wickets and someone else has done much better. They simply report that a certain team won and a certain Indian player playing for them scored so much runs or took so many wickets. It is one thing to concentrate on the facts that will interest your target audience, quite another to twist the facts to interest your target audience.
Quite right...but let me put it in this way....even if some Indian newspaper makes that mistake I won't support that...

What I tried was not to compare between the media of 2 countries but to say that 'this is not fair whoever does it'...I don't know why some people here are trying 2 make it an our media vs. your media issue...

pasag

RTDAS
I still doubt...the pitches in test cricket will be very very different...and with pitches like that in the 3rd test against South Africa being made in the future, the home advantage will remain at least for a good number of years I hope...
Well a lot of players will be getting used to Indian conditions and living in India, playing in front of Indian crowds which is an advantage to them.

On the other hand India are advantaged by their next generation of cricketers having incredible access to star players, who they can learn a hell of a lot from.

So there are advantages and disadvantages here.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
is there any news on smith returning back home and not playin the next match? i saw the news in official ipl website yesterday...want to know in details...will he be playing any more matches later?

Precambrian

Banned
Whats so priceless about watching some pitch drunk Aussie singing some old hit pop song? But its funny how people debase themselves in front of their fans.

pasag

RTDAS
Whats so priceless about watching some pitch drunk Aussie singing some old hit pop song? But its funny how people debase themselves in front of their fans.
Haha what? It's was a private moment between cricketers in a hotel lobby or whatever.

Precambrian

Banned
The biggest dissappointment Aussie import this IPL season's been Ricky Ponting. 4 matches Scores of 20, 0, 0, and 19. Two golden ducks. Average below 10. And in the last match used up a dozen over his score and ate up the momentum of the innings. Can he turn things in Windies? Or the poor form continue to there as well?

Precambrian

Banned
Eden Gardens was superb. Ricky Ponting could've never imagined to hear such a cheer coming from an Indian crowd on him coming to the crease.