• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

FBU

International Debutant
Will they be wearing the red kit for the match against the West Indies All Stars on the 1st November? .:)

England will take part in cricket's richest ever match on November 1 when they face Allen Stanford's West Indies All-Stars with £10million at stake.

Talks between the American billionaire and ECB officials this week have resulted in the surprise decision to stage the match not during England's Caribbean tour next year but as part of the Antiguan independence celebrations this autumn.

It means England will travel to Stanford's purpose-built ground in Antigua immediately ahead of their tour of India, which is due to start on November 5

Even though ECB chairman Giles Clarke said on Thursday that it is "very likely" the match will take place on a date to be arranged, Sportsmail can confirm that it is set for November 1 and that, even though the prize for the winners will be £10m, there will also be healthy appearance fees for the England players and ECB.

Flem274*

123/5
Read in the paper today that Brendan McCullum is our emergency opener for England in case of injury to Redmond or How.

On Redmond: He's getting the whole tour and if he shows promise will be picked for NZs next series vs Bangladesh (didn't know we toured there next, thought it was straight to the Champions Trophy). Apparently he's strong off the back foot which is a nice surprise as most of our openers are front foot plodders. He's a manufactured opener but averaged 40+ opening for Otago. Hasn't been amazing in his career like Bell and Papps have been at times but he's been consistent, which both the former have lacked IIRC.

Don't think he's much but if he can do a job, ya never know. How was rubbish in domestic cricket but in ODIs at least he's come along nicely and his test performances have improved markedly from those unspeakable performances beforehand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will they be wearing the red kit for the match against the West Indies All Stars on the 1st November? .:)

England will take part in cricket's richest ever match on November 1 when they face Allen Stanford's West Indies All-Stars with £10million at stake.

Talks between the American billionaire and ECB officials this week have resulted in the surprise decision to stage the match not during England's Caribbean tour next year but as part of the Antiguan independence celebrations this autumn.

It means England will travel to Stanford's purpose-built ground in Antigua immediately ahead of their tour of India, which is due to start on November 5

Even though ECB chairman Giles Clarke said on Thursday that it is "very likely" the match will take place on a date to be arranged, Sportsmail can confirm that it is set for November 1 and that, even though the prize for the winners will be £10m, there will also be healthy appearance fees for the England players and ECB.
Cripes.

I just don't understand what Stanford hopes to gain by giving-away money like that. :blink:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Fingers crossed on Redmond. I sure hope we get How to develop more on his promising start as an opener in tests too. There's a 'ton' (pun intended) of power hitting down the bottom if Black Caps can get some sort of start.

180 for 3 and we inevitably end up with 400 ish.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Read in the paper today that Brendan McCullum is our emergency opener for England in case of injury to Redmond or How.

On Redmond: He's getting the whole tour and if he shows promise will be picked for NZs next series vs Bangladesh (didn't know we toured there next, thought it was straight to the Champions Trophy). Apparently he's strong off the back foot which is a nice surprise as most of our openers are front foot plodders. He's a manufactured opener but averaged 40+ opening for Otago. Hasn't been amazing in his career like Bell and Papps have been at times but he's been consistent, which both the former have lacked IIRC.

Don't think he's much but if he can do a job, ya never know. How was rubbish in domestic cricket but in ODIs at least he's come along nicely and his test performances have improved markedly from those unspeakable performances beforehand.
How has improved so much as a batsman. The improvement is amazing really, even if the stats don't show it yet. He hasn't even had a very good FC career so it's somewhat surprising he got back in the team to begin with, but he looks both technically and tempermentally very good, especially when compared to the dire, crease-stuck batsman we saw in his first few Tests.

He and Taylor are the only New Zealand batsmen I've seen since Richardson with correct footwook to play ball on or just outside off - they get across and cover the line. Even Fleming was a bit of a prodder outside off at times. Papps and Sinclair are particularly bad in this area.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm equally interested in the player going by the name Aga. I wonder what he's got cooking?
I'm rather more puzzled as to why a mediocre Kenyan all-rounder is playing in the Championship. :huh:

Aga looked truly poor in the Champions Trophy 2004 and while a little time has now passed (:() since then, I doubt he's suddenly become Thomas Odoyo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm rather more puzzled as to why a mediocre Kenyan all-rounder is playing in the Championship. :huh:

Aga looked truly poor in the Champions Trophy 2004 and while a little time has now passed (:() since then, I doubt he's suddenly become Thomas Odoyo.
He's always been able to bowl a very good outswinger - apparently he's added a bit of pace to that. I don't find it that hard to believe really; he's always had something about his bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sheeeysh, if you ever want to find-out how the press at large sensationalise relatively benign comments, check this out as a prime piece of evidence: Fletcher attacks Ashes heroes. When a more accurate, but less attention-grabbing, summation would be "Fletcher points-out an odd fault or two in the game of three England players".

FFS, it drives you insane sometimes. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, while I've said that all my life (have claimed often enough that he's barely a number-seven too TBH), not that many were suggesting otherwise as he was compiling a fabulous 102 at Trent Bridge in 2005.

Flintoff's batting ability has, in my view, mostly been somewhat overrated. I never thought he was capable of the sorts of things people were in 2005 predicting for him - and those people numbered far more outside the England camp than within.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff's batting ability has, in my view, mostly been somewhat overrated. I never thought he was capable of the sorts of things people were in 2005 predicting for him
I know you may not realise it but you do repeat yourself an awful lot. :)

Flem274*

123/5
So, how likely is Mustard to retain his place for the ODIs? If not, does Ambrose open?

Also, who are the reserve bowlers for England? Assuming the full strength attack is Sidebottom, Hoggard, Flintoff, Broad, Panesar. then its Anderson, Harmison, Tremlett...

If there are a bunch of injuries (please) what is the opinion on the back ups?

How do they compare to ours? (Full strength: Martin, Mills Southee, Oram, Vettori. Back ups: Gillespie, Mason, O'Brien, Patel)

Who are the back up batsmen too BTW? Shah is an obvious one but then I can't think of anyone else. Key is another. Whats happened to Ed Joyce?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mustard impressed me in the ODIs here, hope they stick with him. He gets out to daft shots from time to time, but I'm sure he'll improve with experience.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Sorry to keep bugging the English posters, but have the tour matches been and gone? I thought they were meant to start the early pre-test matches from April 18th.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sorry to keep bugging the English posters, but have the tour matches been and gone? I thought they were meant to start the early pre-test matches from April 18th.
Look on the first page...

April 2008

Sun 27
10:45 local, 09:45 GMT Marylebone Cricket Club v New Zealanders
Arundel Castle Cricket Club Ground

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Opened for Middx yesterday. Got tied down by Pedro Collins and made 42 off 74.
Absolutely bloody ridiculous. Joyce and Smith - neither of whom are openers - open and Strauss (who has never been anything but) bats three.

Fan-god-damn-tastic, Middlesex selectors. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, how likely is Mustard to retain his place for the ODIs? If not, does Ambrose open?
I hope not and not respectively, but TBH I'll be fairly surprised if Mustard doesn't remain in the side.
Also, who are the reserve bowlers for England? Assuming the full strength attack is Sidebottom, Hoggard, Flintoff, Broad, Panesar. then its Anderson, Harmison, Tremlett...
Tremlett does appear to be fit for the time being, but took just a single wicket (while Bond nabbed seven) in the only innings of his only game so far this season. Harmison bowled overs at less than a-run-an-over against the might of Durham UCCE in his only game so far this season but has yet to play, never mind take wickets in, a genuine match.

And I'll say it again - don't be in the least surprised to see Anderson picked ahead of Hoggard for the opening Test. It'd be deplorable, but I still rate it more likely than the other way around.
Who are the back up batsmen too BTW? Shah is an obvious one but then I can't think of anyone else. Key is another. Whats happened to Ed Joyce?
Hopefully it'll be those three - Shah and Joyce for the middle-order, Key for an opener (and I still rate his chances medium-term higher than Strauss'). Can't shake the feeling Bopara might unworthily force his way ahead of Joyce again however.