• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Xuhaib

International Coach
On this with SP it was a poor declaration the wicket is easy and all that was needed was a Dravid-Laxman type partnership to get Saffers sweating.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On this with SP it was a poor declaration the wicket is easy and all that was needed was a Dravid-Laxman type partnership to get Saffers sweating.
"all that it took"? Are you being sarcastic?

Mind you, I didn't think SA would declare either.

cricketboy29

International Regular
I really hate it when teams declare too early, I hope India somehow scrape 500+ and SA choke chasing it. I know the odds are tiny, but bad declarations will bite someone again sometime in the future because every country keeps doing it.
As much as the whole of India would want it, I don't think it's going to happen. Cricinfo saying Laxman, Ganguly both wrong decisions.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
You mean ala Kolkata 2001? Mate, they're called 'miracles' for a reason (that Test is frequently referred to by Indians as the Kolkata miracle - for me, it'd be more like the Kolkata disaster or something). They just don't happen more than once under the same set of circumstances. Besides, Waugh made India follow on when Australia were around 270 (?) runs ahead. As Laurrz said, India are 400 runs behind. If they make South Africa bat again, they would've done pretty damn well, for mine.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I really hate it when teams declare too early, I hope India somehow scrape 500+ and SA choke chasing it. I know the odds are tiny, but bad declarations will bite someone again sometime in the future because every country keeps doing it.
8-)

A classic 'WTF' post, for mine.

If anything, I would've declared on Day 2 and given the Indians half an hour. They would've been demoralised and tired by that stage, plus they would've had nothing to gain, anyway.

Xuhaib

International Coach
You mean ala Kolkata 2001? Mate, they're called 'miracles' for a reason (that Test is frequently referred to by Indians as the Kolkata miracle - for me, it'd be more like the Kolkata disaster or something). They just don't happen more than once under the same set of circumstances. Besides, Waugh made India follow on when Australia were around 270 (?) runs ahead. As Laurrz said, India are 400 runs behind. If they make South Africa bat again, they would've done pretty damn well, for mine.
I know where are you coming from but what I mean is today was just the third day so it wasn't like they were running short on time to bowl out India and from what I saw the pitch seems pretty flat to me and it was very likely India may have ended the day at something like 320-3 and that could have given SA some anxious sleep overnight.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I know where are you coming from but what I mean is today was just the third day so it wasn't like they were running short on time to bowl out India and from what I saw the pitch seems pretty flat to me and it was very likely India may have ended the day at something like 320-3 and that could have given SA some anxious sleep overnight.
Yeah, that's a possibility. However, the Ahmedabad outfield was slow this morning, due to overnight rain, which the Indians wouldn't have liked (India hate slow outfields - refer to Melbourne 2007).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumble gone now! At least a three day humiliation will act as a catalyst for change in the Test team:
  • RP Singh must go
  • Jaffer must go
  • Sreesanth should go
  • 5 bowlers is not the way to go
  • Pathan at eight is a necessity when playing without Tendulkar
  • You must bat with a plan
  • South African conditions are not the way to tackle South Africa.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, my main point was that you need to play two openers, so if Jaffer goes, then replace him with an opener, not Dravid or Irfan opening.

Anyway, **** performance from India, terrific from South Africa!