• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, that wasn't why I was going to post. A question for Goughy, really. Following the piece that we discussed the other day, what have you made of Broad's action in this test?
And I keep forgetting to post this when you're online... :p Having been meaning to do so for several days.

You posted on this thread but didn't vote on the poll. Any chance you could correct that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When he's finally dropped, you should put together a career highlights package to the tune of Ultravox and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes IMO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And I keep forgetting to post this when you're online... :p Having been meaning to do so for several days.

You posted on this thread but didn't vote on the poll. Any chance you could correct that?
It's telling me that I'm not allowed to vote on the poll. :sadwalk:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:huh: How odd. I spy a James Nixon viewing this thread, surely he'll want to investigate this irregular behaviour?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, that wasn't why I was going to post. A question for Goughy, really. Following the piece that we discussed the other day, what have you made of Broad's action in this test?
I still do not like the front arm. I comes down in an arc rarther than in a sharp straight line. You just feel there is an extra yard of pace and better accuracy if he pulled the arm bown in the direction the ball was going. Id not noticed before, but there were some really good shots of his feet when they were seeing if he was running on the wicket. His left foot is in a great position for generating pace. Its not the best for long term injury prevention but he has good front foot (ie pointing to 2nd slip) to bring the hips through.

I really want Broad to succeed. He is young and had natural physical gifts that are hard to replicate. IMO, he just has to sort that kink in the action out and get a few more domestic wickets.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just watching the highlights now. Colly's shell of Bell was a shocker, it must be said. Monty's fielding reached Chaplinesque levels of slapstick too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Was some knock from Matthew Bell, guy had about three or more reprieves and still scored no runs. Talk about useless, even Papps or Cumming could score more if they had so many lives.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
HDS: Were you wearing a "Millssmo" (I think that what it said) white tee-shirt yesterday? If so, you were on telly again. I only ask because of your well-documented antipathy for that fellow you have in your avatar & wondered if it was an obscure reference to him.

If not, ignore me. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't realise how poor a Test and First Class record Jamie How had. Wow.
One could argue it's a bit misleading, though. He had problems picking up Malinga on his first attempt at Test cricket IIRC and was promptly dropped after a succession of failures against mainly Sri Lanka (obviously) and a game or two against the West Indies. He averages 36.50 in Tests since his last recall though (which admittedly is only two Tests) so he's improving. The jury is very much still out on him as a Test batsman, but I think his technique quite a bit better than the Bells and Cummings of the world.

As far as his First Class career goes, averaging in the low to mid 30s isn't at all uncommon for a New Zealander. The conditions are reportedly seam-friendly or "taccy" at best so batting - and especially opening - isn't particularly easy. Apparently that has changed a bit just recently at some grounds and the scores have been somewhat reflective of that, but the point remains while looking at the context of his entire career. How averaged under 30 last New Zealand First Class season though which is far from acceptable regardless of how you look at it.