• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Gillespie's catching left much to be desired, but so has Martin's of late. Gillespie getting a bad wrap one feels.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie's catching left much to be desired, but so has Martin's of late. Gillespie getting a bad wrap one feels.
Yeah, he has taken 6 wickets afterall. Hasn't done too badly with the exception of that catch, and a bit of extra practice should sort that out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have the Blackcaps got a Hero? Have we got someone who will create Cricket History and go on to have a performance that people in 50 years will talk about? Will grown men be crying? Will cricketer writers all over the world, gasp and write about how this performance will never be matched in the history of the game?

Will people talk about Botham's performance in 1981 and say this is better, will Bradman's name be mentioned? Will a player become a legend, will this be Stephen Fleming's legacy to the game? Will the tiny Nation of New Zealand, celebrate?

You see, New Zealand is facing defeat, in what so far has been a poor performance by the team, and a disgusting performance by Mark Gillespie, who dropped a sitter of a catch, that was so cringe worthy, I thought of David Brent's dance in The Office. Surly this player must be dropped.

So what does NewZealand have to do, they will be will be chasing over 420 to win, an impossible task, a Historical task, something that should never have happen, a one in a million change, crazy talk to even suggest it.

Well I'm suggesting it, I want a hero, I want my mouth to be wide open, I want to dance and scream, I want the impossible to happen, I want to believe in sporting miracles, I want to know that this can happen, just once as a sport fan in my life, I want to see something that cant happen, happen!!, you see this just wouldn't be a great upset, a miracle, this would be the greatest sporting comeback EVER!!!!!

So, Im allowed to dream, aren't I?, over the next two days, my fingers and toes will be crossed, I will be hoping against hope, that maybe, just maybe, something special will happen.

Let's hope that Dreams indeed do come true.
Haha I love this post, particularly the David Brent reference.

It'd be awesome if NZ chase it down.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Somehow, I have this weird feeling that England didn't use up enough time in this second innings.

Two days, 180 overs for chasing 400 down ain't all that bad. And if Anderson doesn't bowl, we've got a huge fight on our hands.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not surprisingly, he hasn't posted the link to this blog-spot blog set up by some of his "friends" at another forum.

http://kiwimanmustgetlaid.*************/2008_02_01_archive.html
I thought it was against the rules to post a link to a blogspot site?, the link you talk about is a fictional person very very very loosely based on me, a person called Miggs.

I dont have anything to do with that blog, its just a bunch of people, writing BS.

Miggs has taken on a life of his own.

My own blogspot, blog is

http://mediasportandotherrantings.*************

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I thought it was against the rules to post a link to a blogspot site?, the link you talk about is a fictional person very very very loosely based on me, a person called Miggs.

I dont have anything to do with that blog, its just a bunch of people, writing BS.

Miggs has taken on a life of his own.

My own blogspot, blog is

http://mediasportandotherrantings.*************
Regardless, I don't think it's too much to ask for you not to post the same thing on forum after forum. It's lazy and - when it's a thinly-veiled attempt to get people to read your blog - it's the height of rudeness when doing it on forums run by sports lovers who provide these places through their own pockets.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Name me one test opener since Richardson that is better than How? None. They were all ****.

TBH you're taking this "Knee jerk" thing way OTT. Quite why you're having a big whinge at me saying How is better than anyone since Richardson when we've had some beautiful whinges in this thread by other posters that you haven't even pulled up. TBF I used to be pretty knee jerk last year but now I'm taking a step back first and assessing the performances over a period of time, otherwise i would have really put the boot in yesterday. I also believe it was either you or Athlai going on about Taylor and me being knee jerk about him being practically useless in tests before now and to an extent in FC matches and then, ironically, you lot start singing his praises after one innings

If you get to rate O'Brien with your Wellington eye patch on, I'm going to unashamedly back Jamie How to the hilt.

Now that I have that off my chest i would like it to be known that I'm absolutely stoked at James Andersons injury and no, I didn't sabotage him.
Been out all day, yours was the last post on the thread and knee jerky. Your track record is somewhat erratic; albeit amusing. Certainly not meaning to pick on you specifically though. And I've not had a word to say about Taylor this year. I'm glad he's been picked 'cos he's got obvious talent, and to be honest there's bigger question marks over team selection. My problem with How is that up until the last six months or so, he's been **** - total ****. I'm worried that his recent good performances are just him being in primo form, or substantially being down to his form. To be fair to you, there aren't many candidates around for the title of 'Best post Richardson opener', but I'd still say that any conclusions on the current incumbents are premature.

As for Iain O'Brien, I do not actually support him playing for New Zealand in internationals. If you check my (more indepth) posts on the subject, I'd say that he's not near my first choice bowling line up, but I do get pretty fed up of the immature slagging off of a guy based on a couple of matches that they've seen on the tv. He's plenty better than some guys I've seen bowling for England over the years, for example and a more consistant bowler than Mark Gillespie. Once again though, I'm not 'one eyed' enough to actually advocate him being selected over James Franklin, Shane Bond, Chris Martin etc.

And I'm not talking about Wellington today other than to say "No Mark Houghton?". As I've been at the test today, not sure whether he's injured or not, but either way he should be playing ahead of Quarterman.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps Heath would like to make some comments on this knee jerk behaviour?
Gillespie shouldn't have been selected really as he's only just come back from injury. He's bowled erratically, but his best bowling of the match was in the over he bowled to Sidebottom today - gave him a real working over that Sidebottom wasn't up to dealing with. That said, he's easily been the worst seamer on show - comparable with Collingwood in that they both cleaned up the tails. I personally think that the stats flatter Gillespie. Also, let's not forget that awful shot he played in the first innings.

To caveat my criticism though, I will repeat that I doubt he's match fit and he really shouldn't be playing - the same mistake that caused England problems at Hamilton (and he's outperformed both Hoggard and Harmison in all liklihood)

pasag

RTDAS
Regardless, I don't think it's too much to ask for you not to post the same thing on forum after forum. It's lazy and - when it's a thinly-veiled attempt to get people to read your blog - it's the height of rudeness when doing it on forums run by sports lovers who provide these places through their own pockets.
Isn't it a form of plagiarism as well?

pasag

RTDAS
I wouldn't think any forums would have anything in their sign-up agreements about owning copyright on a poster's contributions. That would be a touch too overbearing. :p
I'm not sure we even have anything about your run of the mill plagiarisms either tbh :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you posted that on every Forum you are subscribed to?8-)
Haha, was precisely my thought when I read said post TBH.
On a different note, I started a rousing chant of Collingwoods a wanker.
Shame on you. :nono:

Either way... interesting position here. I mean, we're well in the box-seat, obviously, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Sure, with 420 already on the target box, we should win this comfortably. But from (effectively) 270 for 1, we should've got more really. 8 wickets fell for 150, and fairly safe to say the last will fall fairly promptly tomorrow (hope Oram gets it).

The news about Anderson is FFS-ish, always annoying when players get injured in warmdowns. And trust me, having done it several times if you turn your ankle badly forget walking properly, never mind bowling, for a few days. On the other hand, you can turn it what seems badly at the time, then wake-up the following day almost back to normal. We'll just have to wait and see.

Shame about Gillespie and the catching BTW. But then again, it's a shame about McCullum too. Funny thing... not a word seems to be being said about him however. And catching (and more significantly leaving those he knows someone else can catch but he can't) is far more part of his job than Gillespie's.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watching the highlights this morning, it looks like a strange subdued sort of day's play. Yes, England have worked thesmselves to a handy position, but they seemed to go about it in quite a low key manner. Still, given their recent history, we need to be thankfull they didn't fall in a heap!

As a natural pessimist, and with the crazy injury to Anderson, I definitely think that New Zealand are not out of this game yet.

I definitely expect to wake up tomorrow morning with the match still in the balance.

The last time a team were chasing 400+ against us in the fourth innings (West Indies at Old Trafford), I seem to remember we actually struggled to finish things off. In fact they got to within 60 runs of chasing down 455.

I suppose it could be argued that Old Trafford's pitch in that match had less in it for the bowlers - though Darren Sammy managed his 7-fer as part of the Windies bowling us out for 313 in the second innings. Having said that, though, the reports from Wellington would suggest that batting has got easier. From an England prespective, let's hope the sun goes in!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thoughts on England declaring overnight? Or will Monty and Anderson resume tomorrow?
Can't see any mileage in not declaring overnight. Monty only bats at 10 because Anderson's worse & Anderson only bats at 11 because there is nowhere lower.

England favourites from here, with draw second (althought that's weather dependent) & NZ a v small chance if someone gets in. Oram, maybe? Due a score.

Off to the boozer for an afternoon of egg cahsing now, may log on later if I'm not too bladdered on return.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, was precisely my thought when I read said post TBH.

Shame on you. :nono:

Either way... interesting position here. I mean, we're well in the box-seat, obviously, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Sure, with 420 already on the target box, we should win this comfortably. But from (effectively) 270 for 1, we should've got more really. 8 wickets fell for 150, and fairly safe to say the last will fall fairly promptly tomorrow (hope Oram gets it).

The news about Anderson is FFS-ish, always annoying when players get injured in warmdowns. And trust me, having done it several times if you turn your ankle badly forget walking properly, never mind bowling, for a few days. On the other hand, you can turn it what seems badly at the time, then wake-up the following day almost back to normal. We'll just have to wait and see.

Shame about Gillespie and the catching BTW. But then again, it's a shame about McCullum too. Funny thing... not a word seems to be being said about him however. And catching (and more significantly leaving those he knows someone else can catch but he can't) is far more part of his job than Gillespie's.
Sounds like we were lucky to set over 300, given the chances put down that were offered by Cook & Collingwood. As it stands, given the improving nature of the pitch and the possibility of a 3 man attack, NZ won't be losing any sleep over this one. As I said the other day, all the pressure's on England.

Anderson's injury is definitely one for the 'FFS' pile. It would be nice to go through a series without the words 'England', 'unbelievable' and 'stupidity' being typed at some point, but I guess that's just not how we do cricket in this country.

btw Richard, did you get my email about the England side with the most 100's to their names? Apparently one of the sides from the 1968 Ashes (possibly the 2nd test) had 68. And the side from the 2nd test in 1992 had more than the 55 managed by this lot as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see any mileage in not declaring overnight. Monty only bats at 10 because Anderson's worse & Anderson only bats at 11 because there is nowhere lower.

England favourites from here, with draw second (althought that's weather dependent) & NZ a v small chance if someone gets in. Oram, maybe? Due a score.
I would have thought a draw was the least likely result unless it rains a lot. As for the declaration, it would be madness not to. Firstly, we should use all the early morning moisture we can to give our lads a bit of help on what is now a much easier pitch. Second, if Anderson is fit, batting is more likely to aggravate his ankle. All of that for the likelihood of less than 10 extra runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like we were lucky to set over 300, given the chances put down that were offered by Cook & Collingwood. As it stands, given the improving nature of the pitch and the possibility of a 3 man attack, NZ won't be losing any sleep over this one. As I said the other day, all the pressure's on England.

Anderson's injury is definitely one for the 'FFS' pile. It would be nice to go through a series without the words 'England', 'unbelievable' and 'stupidity' being typed at some point, but I guess that's just not how we do cricket in this country.

btw Richard, did you get my email about the England side with the most 100's to their names? Apparently one of the sides from the 1968 Ashes (possibly the 2nd test) had 68. And the side from the 2nd test in 1992 had more than the 55 managed by this lot as well.
I haven't yet, but I don't tend to check my email more than once a day and sometimes go 3 or 4 days without checking it. So will go and 'ave a luke very soon. :happy:

Though a three-man attack doesn't sound promising, especially when 1 of those is a fingerspinner on a pitch that has so far not allowed so much as a single ball to turn significantly that I've seen, all it takes is Sidebottom to grab 2 or (talking riches here) 3 early wickets and that's basically game-over. And it's beyond question something he has the capability to do.

TBH, I'm in the "don't declare overnight" camp. And not just because I want Oram to get another wicket. I never like to see declarations, really, until time is running-out, which it isn't. If Anderson's fit, he'll be fit; if he's not, he won't be. Batting isn't going to make things any worse whatsoever, or add any risk that would not be present bowling.