• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
Disapointing batting. We were gun with the ball though.

The difference was that in the first innings one batsmen got a hundred and another a fifty. We just had two fifties. Both orders have looked fairly shaky.

We're still in this, if we can get rid of these damn openers then we have an excellent chance of four early wickets, just like the last test. So far Mills looks best bowling to Vaughan and Martin to Cook, Cook didn't have a clue tonight.

The big key is to get rid of the bloody Collingwood-Ambrose show. Those two make me appreciate a bit how annoying the Vettori-Franklin partnership must be for other nations.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Very average effort with the bat. If the weather doesn't intervene, and at this stage I don't think it will play a part, I don't know how England will not win the game from here.

If Sinclair doesn't score runs in the second innings, I have a suspicion he might be making way for Fulton/Elliot. Bell got a great delivery but no idea where he was looking to play it. Good to see Taylor carrying on from Hamilton, while Vettori's status as a genuine allrounder must surely be cemeted by now.

I actually think England bowled better without Hoggard, as both Anderson and Broad certainly added something to assist Sidebottom that he and Harmison were unable to provide at Hamilton. Anderson very impressive, though a bit ironic given his average performance for Auckland last week.

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Very average effort with the bat. If the weather doesn't intervene, and at this stage I don't think it will play a part, I don't know how England will not win the game from here.

If Sinclair doesn't score runs in the second innings, I have a suspicion he might be making way for Fulton/Elliot. Bell got a great delivery but no idea where he was looking to play it. Good to see Taylor carrying on from Hamilton, while Vettori's status as a genuine allrounder must surely be cemeted by now.

I actually think England bowled better with Hoggard, as both Anderson and Broad certainly added something to assist Sidebottom that he and Harmison were unable to provide at Hamilton. Anderson very impressive, though a bit ironic given his average performance for Auckland last week.
I believe Vettori's batting over the last few seasons has overtaken his bowling ability.

Yes he was average for Auckland but you know how it is when NZ plays warmup matches - they invariably look awful, but come the serious games, they show a fair amount of ability.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disapointing batting. We were gun with the ball though.

The difference was that in the first innings one batsmen got a hundred and another a fifty. We just had two fifties. Both orders have looked fairly shaky.

We're still in this, if we can get rid of these damn openers then we have an excellent chance of four early wickets, just like the last test. So far Mills looks best bowling to Vaughan and Martin to Cook, Cook didn't have a clue tonight.

The big key is to get rid of the bloody Collingwood-Ambrose show. Those two make me appreciate a bit how annoying the Vettori-Franklin partnership must be for other nations.
Anderson actually bowled really well for Auckland from all reports. He didn't take many wickets but I read he looked quite threatening and his economy rate was excellent which is unAnderson-like.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quote of the day today comes from Ian Smith:

"Fleming's pitching a tent out there." :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think either team needs to panic. Say England have a good day tommorrow and are all out after setting 500 odd they have two days to get rid of us and likewise we have 2 days, ages, to get the runs.

If we skittle them however, then we have 2-3 1/2 days to chase down whatever, say 300.

But likewise, they could still skittle us on this pitch. Love it, we have a result coming.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Was at the game today, and obviously, was hugely disappointed with the batting in the last session. Of all the batsmen who got out, only Taylor could really say that he was dismissed by a genuine wicket ball. Fleming, and I know this is his last series and that we're all being happy clappy about him, but he needs the actually convert these starts. I'm not talking about hundreds, just a 70 or 80 would do. The shot he played to get out today was awful. Oram's lack of foot movement continues to be a problem. Regardless of how well he bowled, he's in the side predominantly as a batsman, and really needs to score some runs and soon. McCullum just played down the wrong line to a stock delivery. Given that the English fielders would have been starting to get tired in the last session, and that the ball wasn't doing that much. After making it to 100/3 at tea, collapsing as we did showed the same lack of discipline and determination that was so evident in South Africa.

Well the match is pretty much lost now, amazing how one bad session can leave you permanently on the back foot.

Flem274*

123/5
Was at the game today, and obviously, was hugely disappointed with the batting in the last session. Of all the batsmen who got out, only Taylor could really say that he was dismissed by a genuine wicket ball. Fleming, and I know this is his last series and that we're all being happy clappy about him, but he needs the actually convert these starts. I'm not talking about hundreds, just a 70 or 80 would do. The shot he played to get out today was awful. Oram's lack of foot movement continues to be a problem. Regardless of how well he bowled, he's in the side predominantly as a batsman, and really needs to score some runs and soon. McCullum just played down the wrong line to a stock delivery. Given that the English fielders would have been starting to get tired in the last session, and that the ball wasn't doing that much. After making it to 100/3 at tea, collapsing as we did showed the same lack of discipline and determination that was so evident in South Africa.

Well the match is pretty much lost now, amazing how one bad session can leave you permanently on the back foot.
Agree with most of that bar the last bit, we have all the time in the world to come back.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with most of that bar the last bit, we have all the time in the world to come back.
Absolutely. We all know England are quite capable of collapsing for less than 150, and we also know that their bowlers are capable of being carted, especially if conditions ease up by Day 4.

All that being said, I'd have settled for this 24 hours ago. The English CWers seem very quite about Anderson's five-for. Obviously conditions were made for him, but taking out the top 5 is a good effort in anyone's book. So far, you'd have to say that Moores got it right, but there is a long way to go, and all the pressure's on England really. We'll have to see how they handle it.

Flem274*

123/5
Absolutely. We all know England are quite capable of collapsing for less than 150, and we also know that their bowlers are capable of being carted, especially if conditions ease up by Day 4.

All that being said, I'd have settled for this 24 hours ago. The English CWers seem very quite about Anderson's five-for. Obviously conditions were made for him, but taking out the top 5 is a good effort in anyone's book. So far, you'd have to say that Moores got it right, but there is a long way to go, and all the pressure's on England really. We'll have to see how they handle it.
The Basin Reserve generally flattens out on day three IIRC over the course of the day. Cook and Vaughan must stay in otherwise I have a feeling they will struggle a bit as Strauss and Pietersen are not in the best of touch.

The batting wars will be between How/Fleming and Cook/Vaughan and Taylor/Vettori vs Collingwood and Ambrose. Those eight have been the best batsmen by far.

It all depends on the mindset of both teams in the fourth innings as well. If one team comes out negative and the other positive then because both sides have all the time in the world to win mindset will be extremely important. The team with the most belief and the most desire to win will win. NZ have to score hundreds and pace the chase nicely, England have to accept they might be in the field for 150+ overs so have to keep themselves up and positive and bowl as well as the first innings.

Anyones game, can't wait. We need to speed up the clock and make it 10am tommorrow already.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently, you should have all seen me on the tv coverage today. Some drunk guy fell over on his face and slid down the bank and it was all caught on camera. This was all going on next to me. Must have been quite obvious as I got half a dozen texts about 30 seconds later, and a couple of phone calls.

Good day for England it seems.

JHutch

Cricket Spectator
Looks like Ambrose might not have been able to sleep much last night judging by his batting. I take it his wicketkeeping was ok though? Well done on him for his hundred.

Normally a first innings lead of 150ish would lead you to think that only one team could win it. However, england's batting doesnt really inspire that much confidence. You always feel that there could be a collapse around the corner. I think a lot will depend on the opening partnership tomorrow. If Cook and Vaughan can get england off to a good start and put on 70/80 then england will be in a much more comfortable position for the middle order batsmen. A wicket goes down early and the pressure really will be on strauss.

Well done to anderson for getting the top 5 out. Would |Hoggard have equalled his achievement or done better? It is possible but i dont think he would have finished with quite that return. So you could say well done to the selectors. However, i still regard him as being bowling's equivalent of a flat-track bully. Put him on a swinging strip against, with all due respect, not the greatest test batsmen in the world and he can be quite deadly. Improve the standard of the batsmen though and put him on a flat pitch and he can become a liability (although to be fair he did get some of the top indian batsmen out last summer). Ok, so all bowlers would struggle more than most but he seems to get carted around more. Hopefully he can learn to be more patient, bowl a better line and length etc in those circumstances

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently, you should have all seen me on the tv coverage today. Some drunk guy fell over on his face and slid down the bank and it was all caught on camera. This was all going on next to me. Must have been quite obvious as I got half a dozen texts about 30 seconds later, and a couple of phone calls.

Good day for England it seems.
Saw the incident...its a shame they don't have those "Moments like these you need Minties" ads anymore, would be a certainty for one. No idea what you look like though so had no idea you got on tv.