• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goooooooonnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Well bowled James Anderson, exactly the start he needed. Magnificent delivery.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
At this stage you'd be perfectly right, unless the pressure of the spinners had built up to a boiling point and caused an English Meltdown, I would think they would be batting still till the first session. I do think though come the second innings, we will be missing Patel.
Except the possibility that Patel might've been effective in a second innings if this wicket becomes a turner is negated by the fact that in the first innings he wouldn't have gotten much help at all, and England would've possibly scored more, thus making his job harder in the potential second innings we're talking about. But we're getting into a whole lot of ifs and buts and whatnot but I maintain that two spinners on this pitch would've been about as effective as trying to stop a stampede of elephants by waving a twig at them.

Bell gone to a beauty from Anderson. Goughy's fear might become reality.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's true, but neither here nor there really. Actually I remember once hearing that a very highly rated bowler had an unusually high number of tailenders in his wicket tally, but I can't remember who. McGrath maybe?
Wasim Akram would be my guess.

TBH, if someone has half or more of their wickets as tailenders I'm dubious of the worth of it. Anyway, as I say, Gillespie bowled decently. Not probably the place to argue this otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good to see Flem (not Phlegm) get a good reception.

Still haven't seen Heath BTW. You planning on meeting him later John?

NZTailender

I would like to go on record in saying that tail end wickets are more valueable these days then they were, say, 15 years ago. We've seen a lot of dogged tail end resistence recently and I don't think because Gillespie took 2 tailenders in his 4 wickets should count against him. Like I said, somebody had to get them. To win a match, you need to take 20 wickets. Out of those 20, 8 are (probably) going to be tailenders, and have to be taken. If a bowler happens to take all those 8 in a match, while the other 12 are shared over 3-4 bowlers, I would'nt say the guy who got the tailenders bowled the best, but he certainly did his job and definitely shouldn't count against him.

But that's all obvious, innit?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sidebottom and MSP are more of the "traditional" tail-end types.

I'm not counting someone like Stuart Broad as a "tailender".

NZTailender

It's interesting to note that in some (nearly all) of the wickets that have been bowled in this match, the batsman has been too early in playing a shot.

NZTailender

Sidebottom and MSP are more of the "traditional" tail-end types.

I'm not counting someone like Stuart Broad as a "tailender".
Slightly harsh on Sidebottom. He's not an out and out rabbit, but he's obviously no Brett Lee. Can stick around and grind out a few runs from time to time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That may be but openers should be prepared for dangerous balls, and he does need at least one score this series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That may be but openers should be prepared for dangerous balls, and he does need at least one score this series.
Oh, true, but it's an occupational hazard. If you're going to pick opening-batsmen you've got to forgive them when they get balls like that. Don Bradman or George Headley would've been highly unlikely to have kept that out.